Sep 24, 2020

IT IS TIME to get Organized for OUTDOOR SKETCHING - Painting and Drawing Tips

Did you just say "OMG, WENDY IS NUTS! It is cold wet and dreary out there.  I am not going Outdoor Sketching!!

Great Memory!! - Sketching on the Spanish Steps in Rome - May 2019


True, the great summer sketching weather is over.  Did you get out and enjoy it?  I did.  But it has taken me lots of trials and tribulations to get there.  There is more to being successful then running out the door with paper and pen in you hand.  

I would like to save you some of my frustrations . . . .

First of all, Outdoor Sketching doesn't mean you need to 'commune with nature'.  It really means you have your 'stuff' and you can sketch anywhere: restaurants, airports, street corners, living rooms, kitchen . . . .  It means you are portable, ready and not in your studio.  I live on the west coast of Canada and lots of my family live on Vancouver Island.  To get there we need to travel 1.5 -2 hr on a ferry.  I sketch the whole time.  

Awesome Memory!! Sketching at a Sidewalk cafe, Edinburgh, Scotland with my sister.  Urban sketching is just as much fun as nature sketching.  

Getting your equipment ready is a BIG priority.  Being able to grab and go is really important.  If you have to stop, find a paint brush, look for a sketchbook, get a new pen.  It just is not going to happen.  Now that summer is over you have time to put together a great little setup that will go anywhere.  I say little because that is really important.  No one wants to pack a studio with them but at the same time, you want your favourite materials with you.  After all this is about enjoying your creative process.  
 
This Backpack is a true Grab and Go Setup - Check out my video Get Ready for Outdoor Sketching to get a better look.  

A great Grab & Go setup . . 
Here is where I can really save you some frustration.  I have finally got a set up I am really loving. Light, easy to pack, great for any location and full of my favourite materials.  You can see it here on a video I prepared for the Arts Council of Surrey's Instructional Series.  I know your will find it helpful.  Video: Get Ready for Outdoor Sketching.  


 Travel Art Kit and Sketchbook are VERY small but have EVERYTHING I NEED!


A good carrying bag is very important.  It keeps stuff together, safe and easy to find.  Of course my pack breaks down to the most important elements. Your Kit.  Now my preference is to work with pencil, pen, watercolour or combinations of them.  So this is what I have in my kit.  

This is What's in the Pack - see below for the Contents


Kit Contents:  
  1. Mixed Media Sketchbook 5 in x 8 in. or close to it
  2. Very small water container (courtesy of David's Tea) 
  3. Metal Pallet: 5 in x 2.5 in folded up  These are awesome, you put your own pans in them and fill them with your own colours
  4. Brushes - to waterfilled brushes.  One empty and one full. 
  5. Business Card - never hurts to Advertise!
  6. Pencil, Pigma Perment Ink Pen 03, 05 (2 of each) kneaded eraser, small pencil sharpener
  7. Folding scissors, few coloured pens, piece of paper towel (odds and ends usually slip in there)
  8. A picture or 2 to sketch if I am in a place where nothing catches my eye. 
There is a full description of my kit in my post: My Really SMALLmendours Art Kit.  

You will want to tailor your kit to your needs.  I have seen artists that like to collage carry a small kit of papers and materials ready to go.  The most important thing is to have your Art Kit ready to go.  Dedicate the materials to just it.  Don't be using the brushes, paints, pens, materials for other projects. 

Once it is ready, take it for several TEST RUNS. . .

It is important to work with your kit to make sure you have everything you need.  It also helps to learn its little secrets.  For example: Waterfilled brushes work a little different than regular ones.  I find it is good to have a dry one, to do some dry brushing.  If it is waterfilled it is hard to do that.  I also found that the original colours I put in my palette didn't quite work.  I had one that I never seemed to use!  

It doesn't take much equipment to get Good Results - 


Once materials and equipment are ready there are other things you can focus on during the winter.  I found that when I was facing a 'large vista' I didn't know what to draw.  Practice making compositional decisions using sample pictures on-line.  Try a few and see what you like.  Another problem I had, particularly in the summer, was that everything was GREEN.  I spent time reading and experimenting with ways to break out of the green box.  


You will be surprised how much you will be looking forward to painting and sketching in other locations once you have your things organized and ready to go.  Little Adventures will be happening everywhere. 


Coming Soon - FACE-TO-FACE Gallery show!!
Artswest Showcase
October 1 - 31, 2020


Landmark Pop-Up Gallery - 15140 North Bluff Rd, White Rock

Full Covid Safety Rules in Effect - Only 6 in the Gallery at a time 

Open: Wed 10-5pm  Thur & Fri 10-8, Sat 10-5pm Sun 12-5pm

Come see what our Art Group has been doing - Lots of new Original pieces of Art, special
One-of-a-Kind Art Items and special gift items for any occasion.  

Bonus Show Activities - Semi-Private Classes:

Build your Drawing Skills with Pumpkins!!

Oct 1: Drop-In Painting Class – Doris Biddle 2-4pm
Oct 4: Fused Glass – Gunilla Kay
2-4pm
Oct 7: Acrylic Painting Class – Joanne Dennis
Oct 8: Learn Drawing Skills with Pumpkins & Ink – Wendy Mould,
Oct 14: Acrylic Painting Class – Joanne Dennis
Oct 23: Christmas Card Class – Candles & Ink - Wendy Mould,
Oct 29: Ceramics Class – Doris Biddle

All Classes 10-12:30 pm except where noted

Classes $50 each.  Some supplies included

Registration:  Contact Wendy 

Do you have big/small projects on the go?  
Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques. You and your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.   
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF
 
Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  



No comments: