Sep 10, 2020

How to Successfully Donate Your Art -Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you ever been asked to donate your art to an event?  

FORAGING - 8 x 10 Matted Original, $130. Ink & Watercolour
FORAGING - 8 x 10 Matted Original, $130. Ink & Watercolour


Times are different now, many organizations that depend on donations to run their programs are in tight financial straights.  Their work in the community is in grave danger of floundering and disappearing. They need help and they will reach out to you. 

 If you haven't been asked before, you will be asked soon. 

Making a successful donation of your ART to a fundraising event can open opportunities for you as well as supporting the organization.  

I see your response going through 3 different perspectives. . . .

I am very supportive of community organizations as I am sure you are as well.  I respond to the request first on an emotional level.  I know I can't support them all but I have areas where I feel very strongly: animals, children in poverty, women in need, children in my immediate community, friends in need. This is where I make my decision to donate.  At this level as well I usually decide if it will be a big or small donation.  My emotional, practical side. 

A selection of Art by Wendy Art Cards
A selection of Art by Wendy Art Cards - I try and theme the cards and chose a topic of interest to the organizations network


Once the decision is made the Artist in me kicks in.  What should my donation be? Small donations could be a set of cards, a matted or frame print, a drawing/painting lesson.  Larger donations could be a combination of small things, a 3 lesson package or original art.  I start to sort through my studio for ideas.  

Print by Wendy Mould: Winter Berries $18
Matted Print by Wendy Mould: Winter Berries $18 - Clear Plastic Bag with Artist Bio on back


At this point the Entrepreneur comes to the forefront. The organization is asking you for a donation but in return they want to give you something: An Opportunity to Connect with their Network.  This is a very valuable opportunity to make a connection with someone new.  If this new person has bought your work in a silent auction, this is a bonus.  It means your are making a connection with someone that has not only seen your work but likes it!!

So, how do you maximize the Opportunity that your Donation brings? . . .

My piece Foraging, above, is one of the pieces from my new series Deep in the Forest.  It is a small original piece, matted 8 x 10, Retail $130.  It is going to the YWCA Silent Auction, part of the Women of Distinction Award Ceremony.(Heads up, Sneak Peek of Auction items is not open.)   From every perspective this is a good place for my donation.  As a Finalist for one of the Awards I felt it was a no-brainer.  

To Maximize a Donation of Art, you need a Donation Package. . . 

Donation Package to Accompany Art Donation by Wendy Mould
Donation Package to Accompany Art Donation for YWCA Women of Distinction Award Ceremony 

My Donation Package:
1.  An original piece of work that is high quality and will represent me well.

2.  A 4- page brochure that gives more information about myself, my process and my work. (I have this made up ahead of time and I refresh it continually depending on where my work is going.)

3.  3 Business Cards (this allows 1 to be kept and 2 to hand out.  My cards also have different pictures on them so this is an opportunity to display 3 different images.)

4.  1/3 page brochure on my new Series Deep in the Forest. (Since this piece is part of a series I am working on this is a good addition to the package.)  

Of course there are other things you could do: write-up about the particulate piece; an artist card featuring the piece; flyer of upcoming shows. Once you start thinking you will find there are many things you could add.  Try not to go into sensory overload.  There is a fine line between enough and too much.  

Don't limit this package to just donations of original work.  Donating a print or a collection of artist cards should include the same type of support material.  Each is an opportunity to display your work in a meaningful way.  

Good luck with your donations, I hope that they help your local community as well as bring a sense of satisfaction to you.  

Coming Soon - FACE-TO-FACE Gallery show!!
Artswest Showcase
October 1 - 31, 2020


Landmark Pop-Up Gallery - 15140 North Bluff Rd, White Rock
Full Covid Safety Rules in Effect - Only 6 in the Gallery at a time 

Open: Thur 10-5, Fri 10-8, Sat 10-5pm 
Come see what our Art Group has been doing - Lots of new Original pieces of Art, special One-of-a-Kind Art Items and special gift items for any occasion.  

Bonus Show Activities - Semi-Private Classes:

 Beginner to Advanced Drawing;        Beginner Acrylic;   Ceramics;    Fused Glass 

2 hr classes. Cost $50ea    Time: 10-12:30pm     Dates to be Determined. 

Contact Wendy to get on Waiting Lists


Do you have big/small projects on the go?  
Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques. You and your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.   
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF
 
Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: