Oct 1, 2020

Can Pumpkins REALLY help you to DRAW BETTER?? - Painting and Drawing Tips

Push. Slide. Release.  It is great to be back on the Ice. 

Yes, curling season is beginning and although the game will be a little different we will be able to curl this winter

. 
Pumpkins in the Garden - Wish the pumpkins I grew would grow this big.  Love contrasting colour with line work.  (Ink, watercolour, coloured pencil)

Practicing before the first game is fun and also challenging. (It has been over 7 months since the last game) You are probably wondering how practicing can be Challenging, especially when you are repeating the same thing over and over.

 True, if you watch me I look like I am just repeating an action.  But there is more.  As I  throw a draw (a light rock that only goes as far as the circles on the ice) I am doing other things.  I am getting the ‘feel’ of how hard I need to push the rock.  I am checking my body position to see if I am in a good place.  I am watching to see if my aim is accurate as my rock slides away.  I am also watching to see how my rock is sliding and curling on the ice.  (The ice is different all the time. How much my rock curls and how easily it slides on the ice changes all the time.). Practicing the same shot over and over allows me the freedom to focus on all the other variables. 

 Using Repetition can help in your Art . . .

Pumpkin Booklet - Lots of fun drawing different pumpkin pictures.  Having different formats made it very interesting. 

 I love the fall colours and all the Halloween decorations. So no surprise I love to draw Halloween things too.  Drawing Pumpkins is one of my favourite things.  They come in so many shapes and sizes and look awesome with some pen work.  But best of all, they are very forgiving.  There is no PERFECT pumpkin.  They are all different. 


Pumpkins on the Table - I just coloured the 3.  Really makes a neat contrast with the others, eh?!(Ink, watercolour, coloured pencil)


How Can Pumpkins Help you Draw Better (or the Secrets of the Jack-O-Lantern)

1.     Drawing the same subject repetitively helps you learn your subject.  You will see your line work grow with confidence with each new drawing.

2.    Repeating your subject challenges you to look at it in different ways.  It gets your creative juices flowing.  (Now that I have 3 pictures, I have lots of ideas for other ways of drawing my pumpkins.)

3.    Focusing on a subject sparks your awareness.  Since pumpkins are everywhere right now I found I was studying them everywhere I went and taking pictures. I even checked out a few on line. 

4.    Feeling comfortable with your subject means your are free with your line work.  Your gesture lines will be looser, you will capture more of the characteristics of your pumpkins.  They will become more individual and not just generic shapes. 

Pumpkins in a Pile - I love the way the colour flows with this one.  The Blue shading really gives it a cool almost ghostly look. (Ink, watercolour, coloured pencil) 


5.    After the first few drawings you will find yourself experimenting with colour as well.  I tried several different colour schemes with my pumpkins.

I like to teach artists how to draw with pen and ink.  I find if they are comfortable with the subject it is easier to introduce new skills.  Learning how to change your line work to make it interesting and tell your story can be fun.  And really, what is more fun than drawing a stack of pumpkins in a bin!?

If you would like to join me I have semi-private classes scheduled for Oct 8 & 23 at the Artswest Showcase,  Landmark Pop-up Gallery, White Rock.  On the 8th we play with pumpkins and on the 23 I thought I would work with candles and make Christmas Cards.  See bottom of this post for more information.

Drawing Cupcakes - What a fun way to play with line and colour.  Really the sky is the limit as to what subject you can use for practice. (Ink & watercolour) 

If pumpkins are not your thing, try another subject that inspires you.  You will notice a change right away.  Even as you draw the first you are starting to think about the second.  Then the third.  Suddenly you are noticing things and the fourth one comes to life.  I know looking at my pumpkins I realized I haven’t even got into the whole Jack O’Lanterns thing.  That will bring to mind a whole new batch of ideas. 

FACE-TO-FACE Gallery show!!
Artswest Showcase
October 1 - 31, 2020


Landmark Pop-Up Gallery - 15140 North Bluff Rd, White Rock

Full Covid Safety Rules in Effect - Only 6 in the Gallery at a time 

Open: Wed 10-5pm  Thur & Fri 10-8, Sat 10-5pm Sun 12-5pm

Come see what our Art Group has been doing - Lots of new Original pieces of Art, special
One-of-a-Kind Art Items and special gift items for any occasion.  

Bonus Show Activities - Semi-Private Classes:
Learn Drawing Skills making Christmas Cards - Fun with Candles and Ink

Oct 1: Drop-In Painting Class – Doris Biddle 2-4pm
Oct 4: Fused Glass – Gunilla Kay 
2-4pm
Oct 7: Acrylic Painting Class – Joanne Dennis
Oct 8: Learn Drawing Skills with Pumpkins & Ink – Wendy Mould, 
Oct 14: Acrylic Painting Class – Joanne Dennis
Oct 23: Christmas Card Class – Candles & Ink - Wendy Mould, 
Oct 29: Ceramics Class – Doris Biddle

All Classes 10-12:30 pm except where noted

Classes $50 each.  Some supplies included

Registration:  Contact Wendy  

Do you have big/small projects on the go?  
Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques. You and your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.   
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF
 
Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: