Sep 19, 2019

Are your Landscapes too GREEN? Painting & Drawing Tips

I live in a GREEN, GREEN world, here on the West Coast. 

When you are outdoors painting did you notice how GREEN it was out there?  The trees. The shrubs. The moss.  Everything is GREEN. 

BIRCH TREES BY THE STREAM - sketchbook page


I am not complaining. I like GREEN.  Here on the west coast there is lots of GREEN.  We have a temporal climate,  mild winters and mild summers.  I love it.  (I am a 25 C  person, any hotter is too hot for me) All this means we have lots of rain and very rich, lush GREENS that are often here year round.  

But all GREEN landscapes are boring to paint. . .  They need COLOUR. 

As many of my readers know, I did a lot of outdoor sketching and painting this summer.  When I encountered my lush GREEN landscapes I did the usual.  Blue greens, yellow greens, light greens, dark greens.  But I realized this was not enough. There was no colour. No drama. I decided this summer I was going to do something about it. I devised a challenge for myself.

My Summer Challenge: infuse colour into my green landscapes that was believable and interesting.  With colours that reflected me.



Birch Tree with a little stream - Lots of GREEN
Did you see this scene this summer? 

Pretty little spot in the park.  Birch Trees (my favourite with their white bark) they even have a few sun and shadow spots on them.  A little stream with interesting rocks in and around it.  Ferns and shrubs giving an interesting frame for the trees and stream.  Trees and foliage in the distance.  Pretty, meditative spot.  But so much GREEN.  

How I Infused my GREENS with Colour:

1.  I looked for other colours, no matter how small to include: dead leaves had rust, tans, browns. 

 2.  I pushed into new colours: red (Quinacridone Red) - hidden in the darks of the foilage; and pure blues (Ultramarine and Phalo Blue) -  Patches in the water, the background and darks on the birches.  

3.  I used a deep purple as my darkest dark.  This meant my transition colours were pinks and mauve from the same family.  (I mixed my purple with Ultramarine and Permanent Rose.  This meant I could make a variation of my purple learning to blue, mauve or pink)

Sound logical, right. . . .

Really #1 feels easy to do and a logical extension to what you see.  But #2 and #3, they really require you to step out of your box.  Red.  There is no Red in my reference picture.  But actually it looks kind of nice and adds a sparkle to the picture.  The purples and pinks.  More Sparkle.  I really enjoy looking at this little picture.  

A few Secrets from my Colour infusion . . .

a. This was not my first picture.  I started off slowly.  Added red.  Robert Genn said to add a bit of red to jazz things up. So I started dropping in red.  Reluctantly.  Quietly. Then got louder.  I liked it. 

b.  One drop of a new colour draws too much attention.  Put it in 3 different places, it blends in. Can be all the same tone or variations.  It seems to settle in. 

c.  I got braver.  I started playing with the purples.  Started adding them. Tried different values.  Tried different hues. Moved to a bit of pink. Some mauve.  

d.  I got even braver.  I added more and more colour.  This little picture brought it all together for me.  It sparkles.  It speaks to me.  

e.  Ok.  I know you might feel it does not look EXACTLY like the spot I was painting at.  But it reflects more than that.  It reflects how I felt about that spot in the kind of colour (language) that is unique to me.  When you chose your colours for your painting whether it is a green, blue, red or yellow, your chose is based on your preference.

Try a little colour in your life.  Don't let those GREENS run the whole show.  

Other posts on colour mixing:

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓
Upcoming Drawing Classes: 

Sunday, September 22 & 29, Beecher Place, Crescent Beach, S Surrey. 1-3pm. $40 ea.
Part 1: Get that Line Drawing Right - Sept 22 Full
Part 2: Values, Light & Shadows - Sept 29   Full
Beginners to Advanced Welcome.  Come to one or both.      
Drop-In and Draw
Wednesday, September 25, 1-3pm 
2 Spots Left   or   Monday, September 30, 1-3 pm 2 Spots Left 
Beecher Place, Cres. Beach $20.  Get tips on old projects or new. 

Contact Wendy to Register and for more information.  

OR Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 

September 19-30 I will be at Beecher Place with Art Theo featuring Art by myself, Doris Biddle and Donna Schipfel.  During our stay we will be offering classes and showing/selling our work. I have Drawing Classes on the Sundays (Sept 22 & 29)  and a Drop-In Session (Sept 30)  for those that want to practice more from the classes or would like help in their own projects or starting new ones.

Doris will be offering a 2 Day class working with Acrylics $80 and a Ceramic Painting class $45.  Donna will be offering 2 classes on Watercolour on Rice paper $40 ea.

FYI
I am scheduled for a Demo at Opus this fall: 

 Drawing: Values, Light & Shadows Saturday, Oct 19, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30 Free 
Contact Langley Opus to Register  604.533.0601


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: