Sep 3, 2020

How to Push Your Colours when you Paint - Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you ever made Chocolate Chip Cookies?  I have.  They are one of my favourite.  Chewy ones. Crunchie ones.  With oatmeal. And Without.  My favourite. 

 

Fallen Giant - matted 11 x 14 $225 - Part of my NEW Deep In the Forest Series
FALLEN GIANT - matted 11 x 14 $225 - Part of my NEW Deep In the Forest Series

When I look at the recipes, I always have a chuckle.  Really, ½ cup of chocolate chips for a batch!!  Who are they kidding?  That is not near enough chocolate.  Now don’t get me wrong.  I do follow recipes.  I am a detailed kind of person.  But really, 1/2 cup!!

Sometimes you just have to push the limits . . .

 Painting is like that. I like realism.  I like detail. But I know sometimes realism needs help.  That was something I struggled with.  It is fine to say push colour, BUT what colour should I use?!!

Here is how I travel now on “My journey to Colour” with my Fallen Giant. . .

Please note I called this a journey.  I do not think the journey ever ends.  The more you learn and experiment with colour the more you want to try. Do. Experience.

I know you have probably tried the same stuff as me. Taken a class.  Looked at others work.  Studied books. Watched tutorials and podcasts.  They help.  But . . . .

Nothing beats just grabbing that sketchbook, heading outdoors and paint.  The immediateness of it really pushes you to experiment.  Now I am taking some of those experiments and turning them into MORE. 

My Reference Picture for Fallen Giant - Does the colour gray come to mind.  With dabs of green.  Not too exciting eh?  Composition is interesting but colourwise drab.  

1.  I mixed my black with blue and brunt sienna therefore I used the blue in the picture and brunt sienna in other ways. I also felt it gave me permission to mix  a warm or cold red and/or yellow with brunt sienna to get a few other colours.

2.  I used a green and then added individual colours from Step 1 with it.  This gave me lots of interesting greens. 

Following steps 1 & 2 keeps things coordinated, keeps the palette small and brings in new colour.  But Step 3 brings the biggest change to my work.

3.  I challenged myself to use a colour I wouldn’t normally use and really ‘couldn’t see’. This lead me to some very delightful results and some really ‘OMG can I lift that colour out NOW' moments.  This is where I feel I really begin to see new things.  (Special note, make sure you put that new colour in 3 places.  The intensity may vary but just smack it down and see what happens. Remember, it is just your sketchbook.) 

What did I learn . . .
Looking at "Fallen Giant" you can see I love my purples.  Well, no surprise there my family will say.  I love purple anyway.  But look how I play with the blue purples and red purples.  I love that.  

Log closeup from Fallen Giant
Log close up from Fallen Giant.  Note the use of "NEW COLOURS" - turquoises, pink, golden yellow


Check out that streaks of turquoises, pink, golden yellow on the log.  It seems to add life and colour and cohesion to my work.  It looks happy there. Yet, there was none of those colours anywhere in the reference.  They were my 'challenge colours' from Step 3.  I liked them so much I incorporated them in other places.  They might be different values but the colour is still there. 

Water closeup from Fallen Giant
Water closeup from Fallen Giant.  Note the dark water close to the logs, as per reference but it changes and employs more colours as it moves away from the logs

Check out the water reflection.  I know I took a bit of poetic license there.  I just couldn't leave it so dark and black.  The colours seems to draw the eye into the picture and accepts that other colours could be there.  

Okay, you might have a bit of problem with too much colour and not enough realism but that becomes the personal touch of the Artist's interpretation.  My thirst for realism is met with my very realistic ink drawing and the colourfulness of the piece excites me.  You may not want so much.  If so,  challenge yourself with only 1 'out of the box colours' and move forward.  Trying this will get you moving and you will find your own taste.  (I deliberately did not give proper names to my colours as again, using your palette, whatever green, blue, yellow, reds you use will reflect your style.) 

Some found the following helpful:
Have you Felt the Power of the Line: Activity playing two or 3 colours against each other in a drawing activity.  Blog with Video support. 

Things You NEVER Knew about Your Blues: Looking at your Blues and how they work in your painting. 

Putting Sparkle in Your Colours: Looking a Visual Complements instead of Mixing Complements and how that can change your colour choices.  

Catch Wild n Free 
A Virtual Show by Wendy Mould - Held over till Sept 10.  

Invitation to Wild n Free Virtual Gallery Show by Wendy Mould
Show includes Video Introduction by Artist - See show here 

SHOW BONUS:  Blog: How to Stage a Virtual Art Show 

 Do you have big/small projects on the go?  
Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques. You and your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.   
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF
 
Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: