Apr 25, 2019

Did you TEST RUN your Portable ART KIT - Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you ever bought a new pair of Shoes?  
Yeah!

Well, don't you walk around with them, go short distances before taking them to the BIG event.
Even more so, if they are for something SPECIAL.

Sun Shining at Gowlland Pt, Pender Island - Max and I had an awesome walk along the shore.

As many of you know, I curl. I need new curling shoes.  

No big deal, you might think.  But it is.  One shoe has a gripper tread and the other has a sliding tread.  All sliding treads are not the same.  They come in different thickness and react differently on the ice.  Some are fast and some are slow.  Throwing a curling rock is all about feeling how fast to slide and throw.  This feel develops over lots of practice. ie.  many Test Runs. So suddenly showing up with new shoes and a slider that you haven't 'felt' yet will guarantee disaster for your first draw.  Even the pros guard their shoes carefully as they know how hard it is to get 'the feel' with new shoes.

Bennett's Bay, Mayne Island. - Clouds starting to move off the bay.

Your Art Kit needs a Test Run too. . . .

I don't mean just pulling it out in the studio and working on a few projects. Although that is important too.  (Don't have a great Smallmendous Portable Art Kit?  See my last post here)  I mean pack your bag, head out somewhere and really try it out. 

Seems Redundant, eh?! . . .
Not really.  First of all, have you really thought about how you will carry your Art Kit and stuff.  That's right, stuff.  You will need your sketchbook, drink, (I use water than I have paint water too), snack, wallet, phone and/or camera, (always good to take a picture of what you paint/draw in case you don't finish), sunglasses, keys, . . . .I know hey, the list just goes on and on.  You need 1 case that can take all of that.  I use a small backpack.  Easy to carry, hands free, no shoulder/arm pain. 

Okay, bag packed. Spot found. Now pull out your kit and go for it. 

Things to note . . .
1. Are you able to work comfortably?  Do you need a clip to hold your book open? An elastic to hold the pages. Is your book too big/small to work on?  Will the paper take your washes and not warp?

Pages not warping, even with all that wash.  I look for books with heavy pages, I find the Mixed Medium ones the best. 

2.  Are you happy with your colours?  Are you finding you are missing your favourites?  You followed my suggestions but is there something more you like to work with?
3.  Brushes working well?  Were you able to figure out how to work with them and make your work sing?
4.  Anything missing? 

Rainy at Hope Bay - I like to add a bit of writing to my books.

Getting it Right . . .
You might think because I do this alot that I don't need to give things a Test Run.  I do.  My kit sits ready, to grab and run.  Sometimes I forget, a pen is dead.  My pencil or eraser got lost on the last trip. My pencil sharpener is dull.  My bag is awkward.  I am not happy with one of my colours.

Lagoon at Hope Bay - getting good darks took layers.  I decided I need to try a new colour. 

As you know, I am off to Italy soon and I plan on doing lots of sketching.  There is no do-overs, on this trip.  So things need to be ready.  I went on a short trip to Mayne Island and Pender and did my Spring Test Run.  There were changes: new sharpener; changed my pens; decided to fill that empty spot on my tray with Indigo, to see if I could get some darks faster; tried out a new backpack - light, few pockets, easy to load, water carrier on the outside.

I'm READY.  . . .     

Are you?

After my big show next week, see below, I am off to Italy.  Next post will be in a few weeks - Report on my Sketching Time in Italy.  Ciao

My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Time to Register - Note Date Change

**Tuesday, April 30 - Workshop Day for Spring Show - South Burnaby

Want to experience the joy of watercolour?  Learn about the supplies? See paint in action as you create your first Masterpiece?  Join Audrey and Myself on May 1, 10-12pm for a Beginner Watercolour Class - $40 all supplies incld. 
You will practice the big wash, wet on wet and work with detail wet on dry. Yes, you can do this.    

Itching to create but want some direction? Want to make exciting cards and notes for the special people in your life? Add design to your sketchbooks and journals? Join Myself and Audrey on May 1, 1-3pm for a Creative Card Class - $40 all supplies incld.  This year's theme: Flowers and Ladybugs.  FULL

Few things you can do with with Ladybugs and Flowers

Audrey Bakewell and Myself include this Workshop Day as part of our Spring and Fall Shows at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.  Both classes are very popular and fill up very quickly.  

SPRING SHOW:     Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale
 in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC

 Wednesday, May 2  to Friday,  May 3, 10-4pm Saturday, May 4, 9-12pm

Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby


W
orkshop Day: Tuesday, April 30

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class

1-3pm Spring Card Making Class  FULL

$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome


Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: