Oct 3, 2019

Drawing with Carbon Pencils - a Trip to the Dark Side - Painting & Drawing Tips


 As you know I am a Black Ink Artist.

I love the crisp, sharp, dark Mark that my pen makes. 
It doesn’t bother me that it is permanent, never to be erased.  I can live with that.  I know many can’t. 

However, my artwork is not always about crisp, sharp, dark Marks.  . .


QUAIL ON THE GRASS - 8 x 10 Matted, Carbon Pencil $130

I am also a Pencil Artist.  I love the soft, touch of graphite on paper.  Many of you have seen my pencil drawing and know what I mean.  Special Moments, below is a classic example of what I like to do with my graphite pencils.  


SPECIAL MOMENTS - 16 X 20 Matted, Graphite, $550

As you can see the graphite can be blended to make the coat of the seals sleek, you can feel it.  On the other hand, the rough coarse rocks are enhanced by the course texture of the graphite.  I love that.

But there is a problem . . . .

I am always searching for a better Dark. Referring to a value scale with #1 being white, the #10 being the darkest.  It is a better #10, that I yearn for.  My pencils are a mixture of graphite and lead or clay or carbon.  With the lead or clay mix, there is always a gray tone to the graphite work.  The carbon blend has a darker, blacker, colder tone.  I find with my animals I am drawn more to the gray tone.  Hence my use of Derwent or Caron d'Ache pencils. 

But change is in the wind. . . .
I have found a new Dark Side.  Carbon pencils by Wolff.  Inexpensive. Easy to use. And produce a very dark, dark.  I decided to give them a try.  (Carbon pencils are a combination of charcoal and graphite)


Drawing with Carbon Pencils - a Trip to the Dark Side . . . .  with my Quail


A selection of Wolff's Carbon Pencils, vinyl eraser & kneaded eraser

Notes from my trip:

1.     Loved the dark, using the BB and BBB pencils I could get lovely darks without pressing too hard.  Then meant I could use the tooth of paper for added texture.  A big plus

2.    The B, BB and BBB were soft. Creamy. Smooth. To draw with.  A pleasure to work on the paper.  However, the H and HH were very hard, scratchy.  Definitely not the same appeal there. 

Comparison Marks with some of my Pencils

3.  Although the Dark was great, it was difficult to get lighter values.  Pressing lightly with B pencils give a lighter value but can be laborious for a larger area.  However, changing to the harder pencils results in not only a lighter value but a different hue as well.  Note on the practice sheet - the B pencils are a cold dark black where the H and HH pencils have a more silver tone to them.

4.  Erasing and softening.  This really was the issue.  Lifting the carbon with the kneaded eraser was difficult.  It certainly didn’t want to come off easily.  Softening the mark with the kneaded eraser was much easier.  However, it changed the mark.  It is a subtle change but then you know, sometimes those subtle marks can make or break your image.  When I look at the quail on the upper left side of his chest, the marks there are blurry.  It is not my photography that did that.  I had decided to change the marks I was making and as soon as I touched it with the kneaded eraser, I could see I had lost some of my texture.  (That granular effect that is prevalent throughout the image.)  This is something to think about when working with the carbon.  Your mark is not easily changed once put down.  (I know, a bit like my black ink. I have learned to live with ink's permanence so I know I can learn to manage it with carbon).

5.  Fixative.  Still very necessary.  Drawings need to be protected, just like graphite.  Workable fixative can be used, and drawings can be worked on again after spraying if needed.

6.  Archival.  Carbon pencils like graphite pencils will not fade.  If handled right carbon will far outlive the paper/support, it is on.

Will I give up my graphite for carbon?

No.  I will use the carbon pencils for some drawings but when I want that hyper-realism, I will stay with my graphite.  I like the range of values I get with it.  I enjoy the realism of my birds and animals in the silver tones.  I find them reminiscence of old photographs.  That sense of time gone by.  That grounding of history that comes with it.  It is a language I love.
 
But yes, I will use them again.  Like my pens, they have their own enticement.  Their rich, velvety, matte lines draw my eye and will bring me back to draw with them again.

How about you?  Do you draw with carbon pencils? 

Other posts on Graphite Drawings:
Why Graphite? 

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓


Get Ready for Christmas!! with a Fun Way to Improve your Drawing Skills
This year's theme is Candles, Holly and Poinsettias

Christmas Card Classes 
Saturday, Nov 16, 10-12pm. Art by Wendy's Studio, North Surrey
Wednesday, Dec 4, 1-3pm. Gardenworks at Mandeville, South Burnaby
Treat your Friends to a Special Christmas Greeting
All supplies Incld $40      Contact Wendy

OR

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 

FYI
I am scheduled for a Demo at Opus this fall: 

 Drawing: Values, Light & Shadows Saturday, Oct 19, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30 Free 
Contact Langley Opus to Register  604.533.0601


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: