Jan 2, 2020

Time to GET STARTED on Your Art - Painting & Drawing Tips

Actually the beginning of the year is a time of reckoning,
 a time for New Starts. 

Captured this young eagle out on the Mud Flats last winter.  I can't wait to get his drawing underway.  

It doesn't have to be something totally new but maybe a New Approach, New Effort, New Enthusiasm.  Something to shake up the old and bring on 'the new'.  


In the Creation Process, New Starts can come in many forms.  

And maybe more easily defined than life. In my case I have been seized by new ideas and overwhelmed with things I want to do.  I have a new drawing of a young eagle I am anxious to start. And a small series on Robins that is really calling me. It involves my ink tangles and watercolours together in what I think is an interesting way.  Steve, has already given it a heads up. 

My Three Robins are ready to roll - I can't wait to put them into my latest project.  

I know, you say, he is my husband and of course he likes whatever I do.  Not...  He is quick to tell me if something doesn't work.  Of course he always follows with an apology but the critiquing comment is there.  I must admit I admire his honesty and I know when he says something is interesting I have really hit the mark. So you can imagine when he thinks my idea for the robins is interesting, I am really excited.  I just want to jump in and work on them.  To heck with everything else!!

What about you?  Are you ready to GET STARTED on something? 

Today is also a special day for me.  It marks my 11th year as a Blogger.  I decided to look back to find things to MOVE FORWARD.  In looking back I found many posts that may inspire you to GET STARTED:

1.   Start new habits: Whether you like to draw, doodle or journal having a sketchbook is fun.  You know what it is like to open that book and see some of your work.  It is a really feel good kind of thing to see how your work has grown and changed.   My post  Four Ways to Start the Sketchbook Habit may help you rev up your practice.  

My Smallmendous Art Kit makes painting on the plane a very easy thing to do.  

2.  Start putting together a great travel kit: This time of year is great for getting your travel kit together.  It might seem early to you but once that kit is together you need time to practice with it too.  There is nothing worst than being out on the road and realizing there is something missing from your kit.  My post  My Really Smallmendous Art Kit talks about my really small travel kit which I spent a few years perfecting.  If this one is too small I have a slightly bigger set up here.  


Having a fun Title Page really inspires me to add more when I travel.  

3.  Start prepping your sketchbook for upcoming events:  This may seem like a strange thing to do but prepping your sketchbook pages for future use is fun.  I found prepping my book for my trips is even more fun as it really gets me excited for the upcoming trip.  It is also so much fun to open your book to the next page and find little surprises drawn in the corners or colours/patterns waiting for you to bring to life.  Check out my post
Is Your Sketchbook Ready for You for ideas on getting started.  Of course my favourite is getting a special sketchbook ready for a trip. Here is a bit on prepping for my trip to Italy this year.  Post: Is Your Sketchbook Ready to Roll?    


Can you REALLY  draw a poppy from this?  Read more about A Line of Action

4.  Start a drawing:  Maybe you would like to try something different.  If drawing is something you like to do, think about approaching it in a different way.  After working with figure drawing I became interested in working with A Line of Action. I found it was a great tool to have in my bag for attacking drawings of wildlife and nature.  You can read more about it on my post: How to find the Starting Point in a Drawing

Page 1 & 2 of my Inktober Collage - One Tangle a day Read more Here

5. Start getting your Pen working: Of course you knew I couldn't talk about 'getting started' on something without mentioning pen work.  My post Have You felt the FREEDOM of the Line? may help nudge you in that directions.  And of course if you pick up a pen be sure and try a few tangles while you are at it.  Read more on my post: Have You been on a Tangled Adventure? 

Starting something new can be exciting, fun, a new journey.  Grab an idea and run with it.  You never know where that journey will take you.  I look forward to sharing my journey with you as I jump into my new projects. I look forward to hearing about yours.

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open: 


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 

February is Marketing Month for Artists!!

Each February I offer an all day workshops “Let’s Get Your Art Out There!!”
2020 Date: February 23, 10-3pm
Having trouble getting started or knowing where and what to do?
This workshop gets your Marketing Plans fired up to new and more successful levels. Learn the basics of today’s Marketing World, learn how to develop markets both online with Social Media and off line in your community, learn how to develop a productive network, and set up a Marketing Plan that will work for you. Taking this workshop is a valuable step in moving your business forward. Workshop runs 10-3:00 pm with a lunch break.    Class limited to 8 people
Cost $90 Tax Incl      Pre-Registration Required, contact Wendy      Gift Certificates Available

Save the Date . . . . . 

January 18, 2020 - Opus Langley Demo:  Put WOW! into Your Mark Making with Wendy Mould, AFCA, CDM  11-12:30pm and 2-3:30pm.  Free but must Register: (604) 533-0601

See you there!!


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: