Apr 4, 2019

Is Your Sketchbook READY TO ROLL - Painting & Drawing Tips

Spring is here
is your BFF ready to ROLL?

Of Course I mean my Sketchbook, what other BFF would I have?


Winter seems to be studio time - working inside, working large, focusing on 'the Masterpiece'.  But somehow, when it is warm, buried in the studio just doesn't seem to work for me.  How about you?

Title Page for my Book - Does this inspire you to want to FILL the book?


Hikes on the trail, walks along the pier, relaxing on the beach - do they call to you?  Or just plain old settling in on a sunny deck and trying something new.  This is when I really pull out my sketchbooks and let fly.

I have several on the go, some with themes, some not and some for certain mediums.  Sounds a little complicated but I am always searching for that 'best sketchbook'.  Unfortunately each book can't handle everything, no matter what the advertisement says.  But no matter what, each book needs a little prep to really add fun to the mix.

Right now I am getting my new BFF ready for  . . . . Italy.
Yes, in less than 5 weeks, my BFF and I are off to Italy with my two sisters.

How to Prep your BFF (Sketchbook for Fun and Adventure)

1.  Name and Contact Info in the inside Front Cover - you put lots of effort into your book, so make sure it will find its way home if it gets lost.

2Title Page - Leave it til later; leave it blank;  Don't let that First Page become  'too precious'.  I often leave mine till later. Once I get into my book I seem to have an idea of something I  would like to put on the title page.  For my Italy book, I decided I wanted a gondola.  But that is something that came up after looking at all the brochures and things for the trip.

Of Course we are going to Cinque Terre - We plan on hiking and of course I plan on Drawing.  Room on the map to add highlights from the trip.

3.  Maps - I am big on maps.  They can be little sketches or quite formal drawings.  I like to lay them out ahead of time and then add little antidotes during/after the events.  I find if I am going somewhere new, it really helps me understand the lay of the land.

Always like to make a few sheets of symbols.  Nice to have things to draw and decorate pages.  I can do these anywhere - home, plane, train  . . .

4.  Symbols - Signs, words, shapes, colour.  It really adds to your fun when you turn the page and something is there.   No I don't do every page.  It is great whether at home, on the plane or train I have a little prompt for something I can do for my book.  In the summer I carry pictures of birds and animals I will see on my travels and draw them when there is nothing in front of me that inspires.

This page is ready for more pictures and writing.  That little motorcycle really entices you to add more to the page, eh?!

 For my Italy sketchbook I am adding a little symbols of the culture to the corners of the page - outlined shapes with a splash of colour.  Fun to do on a rainy day at home as I prepare for my trip. Or at the airport as I wait, on the plane, on the train,  . . . .

Couldn't resist putting this picture in my book, you just know while in Venice we will hop on a gondola.  Notice there is room on the page to add notes and highlights of the day.  

5.  Paint Special Pictures - when sketching and painting on site I am often doing quick line work with a wash.  It is fun to have a few pictures of places or things you will do in your book.  I thumb through to a spot and paint my picture.

I tried this out when I went to Scotland, I did a full page spread of Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye before I left.  It really added to the fun of the trip and my book. Learning about the castle really built the excitement for the trip.  And of course,  I loved having a great picture of the castle in my book as we spent a full day in the area. See more on prepping and sketchbooking in Scotland starting here - Time to Crack Open that Travel Journal

Dunvegan Castle - my full page spread completed as part of my Sketchbook Prep.

Do you prep your Journals before you start them?  What things do you like to do? 

Looking for a good portable kit for sketchbooking?  Small, lightweight, easy to fit in your pack?
Next post - An AWESOME Portable Sketchbooking Kit 


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Time to Register - Note Date Change

**Tuesday, April 30 - Workshop Day for Spring Show - South Burnaby

Want to experience the joy of watercolour?  Learn about the supplies? See paint in action as you create your first Masterpiece?  Join Audrey and Myself on May 1, 10-12pm for a Beginner Watercolour Class - $40 all supplies incld. 

Itching to create but want some direction? Want to make exciting cards and notes for the special people in your life? Add design to your sketchbooks and journals? Join Myself and Audrey on May 1, 1-3pm for a Creative Card Class - $40 all supplies incld.  This year's theme: Flowers and Ladybugs.  

Few things you can do with with Ladybugs and Flowers

Audrey Bakewell and Myself include this Workshop Day as part of our Spring and Fall Shows at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.  Both classes are very popular and fill up very quickly.  

SPRING SHOW:     Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale
 in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC

 Wednesday, May 2  to Friday,  May 3, 10-4pm Saturday, May 4, 9-12pm

Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby


W
orkshop Day: Tuesday, April 30

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class

1-3pm Spring Card Making Class

$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome


Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: