Jan 16, 2020

5 Things that can spark a series of Painting - Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you ever worked on a Series of Paintings?  
Do you paint random pieces or are your works interrelated?
Is this a limiting exercise or not?

ROBINS: SIGNS OF SPRING - Nearly done 

From a marketing stand point, working in a series is wonderful.  You have a standard product.  You have a statement that covers all the work.  You have One central focus for all your marketing energy.  Sounds like a marketing dream. 

However, there is one problem . . 

As an artist you are not a machine.  You can keep producing the same material but eventually it will become stale.  You will lose interest and your work will reflect that.  And on the other end, your buyers may become weary of seeing the same thing. 

Ok sorry, I don't mean to confuse . . .

Are series a good idea or bad?  I feel they have lots of merit but at the same time they need to evolve and change.  If their purpose is to preserve 'the sameness' not such a good idea. In my mind, a series takes you on journey to explore.  You take ideas and work with them.  Finding your voice as you feel your way.  They cause you to think and expand your ideas.  When you feel you have told your story, they end. 

I have started a series.  Not sure how big it will be.  For now it is 3 pieces. 

Decided on a background and my main colours

What sparks a series?

1.  Your emotions: For me it was my struggle to mix my pen work into my wildlife art.  I had just completed my work on my Inktober Tangles 2019 project and I was pumped.  I wanted to do something with my tangles and patterns.  (Read more about Inktober Tangles 2019 here.)

I liked the 3 different views of this fellow - his quirky character called to me.  

2.  Your eye is caught: Like most of you I have huge folders with photos I have taken.  Mine are all about wildlife I see and settings that would work for them.  My photos are overtaking my life.  I was trying to sort, delete and file some of my pictures from this summer.  I know, an endless task.  Suddenly my eye was caught by a robin.  I had several shots of him, wondering about the yard.  Hmm. . . . I thought.  I can do something with him.

One was working well so definitely time to start planning the group

3.  Chance: My husband was busy making wood cradles for me as I needed some custom sizes for some commissions.  Of course, being the frugal person I am, (read cheap, if you were one of my kids) I suggested he cut up the scrap and make some small cradles for me.  We figured he could make 3-5 x 7 wood cradles.


Robin: On his Own - WIP  As he started to grow I began to really see how my other birds would fit in. Surprisingly my husband thought he looked interesting.  Hmm. . . maybe my robin will interest others.

4.  Desire to meet a challenge: As I walked the trails with Max I thought of my challenge - realistic birds (my robin) and abstract shapes (my tangle patterns).  What? How? Somehow, out walking with Max I can create better than in my studio.  Here my mind is free to ebb and flow in different directions.  An idea began to form. Suddenly I knew what I wanted to do. 

Robin: Curious - WIP  My second piece started to take shape. Now, I was starting to get excited.   I could see where I wanted to go.  

5.  Time: Christmas Commissions done, Christmas was over, and I actually had a bit of time on my hands.  Those robins were restless, my pens were calling, my paints were wet.  I couldn't stop myself.  I jumped in. 

What sparks a series for you?  Are they a small collection or large bodies of work? Have you considered the pros and cons of working this way? 

ROBIN: ON HIS OWN - Ink & Watercolour - 5 x 7 mounted on Wood Cradle $115

In continuing the discuss, you might find the following posts of interest: 

Do you Know Your Subject - Part 1
Looks at creating a series from the artistic point of view; benefits to the Artistic Soul. 

Do you Know Your Subject - Part 2
This looks at the benefits of creating a series from a marketing point of view.  

Do you Know Your Subject - Part 3
An interview with an artist, Jane Appleby, who spent a year working on her series.  


Do you Know Your Subject - Part 4
Short interview and examples of other artists and their thoughts on work in series.  


Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 

February is Marketing Month for Artists!!

Each February I offer an all day workshops “Let’s Get Your Art Out There!!”
2020 Date: February 23, 10-3pm
Having trouble getting started or knowing where and what to do?
This workshop gets your Marketing Plans fired up to new and more successful levels. Learn the basics of today’s Marketing World, learn how to develop markets both online with Social Media and off line in your community, learn how to develop a productive network, and set up a Marketing Plan that will work for you. Taking this workshop is a valuable step in moving your business forward. Workshop runs 10-3:00 pm with a lunch break.    Class limited to 8 people
Cost $90 Tax Incl      Pre-Registration Required, contact Wendy      Gift Certificates Available

Save the Date . . . . . 

January 18, 2020 - Opus Langley Demo:  Put WOW! into Your Mark Making with Wendy Mould, AFCA, CDM  11-12:30pm and 2-3:30pm.  Free but must Register: (604) 533-0601  Morning session is full but still some room in the afternoon.  

See you there!!


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy





No comments: