Nov 21, 2019

Ta-Da!! My Inktober Tangle 2019 Collage is Done!! Painting & Drawing Tips


Yes, I have finally wrapped up my Inktober Tangles 2019!
PAGE 1 & 2 - INKTOBER TANGLES 2019
It ended up being 4 pages!!

As many of you know, I have been diligently working away on my Intober Project. (Read more on my Project here)   I know, it is not October anymore.  But really, who has time to do this, Every Day... 

PAGE 3 & 4
Started to try a bit more colour and worked in a bit of white on black


Yes I am one of those Crazy Pen Artists that just loves to see the crisp sharp line on paper.  It may seem strange to others but I enjoy the flow of Patterns and Marks as my pen skips along. It is often a moment of wonder to see how a shape evolves.  No,  it is not all about copying a shape and moving on.  

This pattern, Maryhill, looks so plain until you start adding colours and shadows.  

There is a sense of MAGIC. . . .

A tangle or shape will change and grow depending on: Where you place it.  How you embellish it. What you shade with.  Even the support you use.  You know how we thirst to take something and make it ours.  That is what happens with Tangling.  You take a shape and immediately change it up to make it your own shape in your own space. It is interesting to look and also interesting to see how others work with patterns.  Two of my favourite artists to study are: Utabar_34 and Jane_happyart on Instagram.  


This pattern called Abundies can be changed/embellished in so many ways.  I really loved the curves and and circles in it. Note the change as it moves into black and becomes white. 

Working/Studying this art form makes me realize things about myself and my work. 

I love black ink, other colours are nice but it certainly calls to me.  I love the movement of curves and bends.  There are many who work with linear patterns but they don't create the same passion in my pen.  I love the power of shading.  It takes a flat intricate shape and moves it to a new level.  More powerful and more interesting to the eye.  

I loved the googlie eyes and movement that can be worked into a collage with this little pattern, Tunnelvizion.  So simple but can express so much.

The Power of a Mark . . .

Whether drawing or painting the focus is always on Mark Making.  Each stroke is evaluated.  Is it in the right place? Is it the right colour?  The right value? The right shape?  But how often do you look at the mark and really see what it creates.  Not evaluate it on your standard.  ie. how it fits into your design.  But what is it telling you about what it can do.  It might not be the right mark for that spot in your design but it may be a great mark for somewhere else.  

The Simplest Mark, a dot or tiny circle can have huge impact. Take a look at my 4 pages of collages.  They are really a mish mash of shapes but notice the tiny little circles in the open spaces.  Yes they are randomly placed but note how they tie the 4 pages together into one united unit.  Awesome, eh?!

This to me is a classic tangle, simple but intricate when I add my own colours, embellishments and weave it into my piece.  It even has an interesting name "Well, Well, Who".  

How does this carry my work forward ? . .

Good question.  I have spent hours on my Inktober Tangle 2019 Collage.  Is it a marketable item? No. But then does everything have to be "A Masterpiece"?  Actually, to me it is a masterpiece.  I enjoy looking at it.  It makes me feel good whenever I think of it.  Each time I view it, I see new things.  I feel I learned so many new things from it.  What more can you ask?

In my earlier Tangle Post I talked about the things I done with Tangling.  (Read more here) Now that I have finished the collage I have one more item to add to the list. I realized I forgot to mention my cards.  I use my tangles in my Fine Art Work but I also create cards for various occasions with my patterns and teach classes with my own design ideas.
  
LET'S RIDE -  Part of my set of 3 different horse pictures -Available as Instant Downloads Cards at my Etsy Store 
Right now I have Bookmarks, Valentine Cards and my Horse cards available as Instant Downloads at my Etsy Store .  Of course more is always available from Art by Wendy Studio.ie. Christmas Cards and All Occasion Cards.  I even have a mini Doodle Christmas Colouring book.  ( I know, I get a little carried away, eh?!)

 As you can tell, I do have a lot of passion for my Pen Art. The real test is  I  know if I was stranded on a desert island, I would definitely want black pens and paper.  What about you?  What would be on your list for that desert Island. 

See you next week with my latest creation, Ink & Watercolour United BUT in a new WAY!!

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 

Christmas Comes early at Art by Wendy:

Thurs Dec 5 to Sat. Dec 7, 10-4pm
Paints’n Bloom Workshops & Show & Sale
Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.

Featuring Artists Wendy Mould, AFCA & Audrey Bakewell
 in Support of the Alzheimer’s Society of BC.


See you there!!


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy


No comments: