Mar 26, 2020

Do you like Chocolate Sundaes with a Cherry on Top? - Painting & Drawing Tips

SPECIAL NEWS - I'm NOw TEACHING ONLINE!!!
 See more at the the end of the POst. 
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Not a Chocoholic?  What about a Butterscotch Sundae Instead?
Me I'm a Chocolate Lover - But only in moderation, Of Course!!!

MY First DIY Sketchbook!! - Can hardly wait to Get to Work 

You know the sundae with the hot fudge slathered over the vanilla ice cream with a wonderful warm chocolate brown underneath. A bit of whipping cream dancing around it. And of course don't for get the cherry on top. Maybe sprinkles of nuts too.  Sounds wonderful.

Its the little things that count.  Really a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup is good but the extras like the hot fudge, brownie, whipping cream, nuts and cherry really top it off.

That's how I feel about Sketchbooks. . . 

I love to just take my sketchbook and go and paint/draw/fiddle.  Try new things. Paint the same old things.  Just Fiddle.  Sometimes with purpose and sometimes not. Art just for me.

I have lots of sketchbooks, big, small, expensive, cheap.  They all have a purpose and they are all good.  However, like the ice cream and chocolate syrup they don't have that extra touch.

I have always wanted to make my own sketchbooks. . . .

To me that is the cherry on top.  My own book, built and filled by me.  Decorated just for me.  Pretty special, eh?!

Well I did it!!
materials needed to make your own sketchbook
Simple materials to make your book.  You may already have them among your art supplies. 

It was easier than I thought. I have put it off for such a long time as I felt I needed 'special stuff'.  Turns out I didn't.  One of the bloggers I follow, Julia Bausenhardt, in Germany has a great little video on how she makes her sketchbooks.  It was easy to follow and required few materials. You can dress it up or leave it plain. (Below are lots of pictures and info to help you make yours but I do suggest you watch her video at some point.)

Gather Materials: 
When I gathered my paper I chose a variety of papers to add interest to my book and to see how they would work.  I started small, 5.25 x 7 inches (finished size).  Big enough to handle and use and small enough to finish easily.  My paper before folding was 10.5 x 7 inches.  Some pieces were smaller but as long as the folded edge will catch all the binding threads you can use it.  Having different papers, sizes and colours can be very inspiring.

Assemble Everything: Paper cut to size, cover decorated on outside.  You can decorate the inside too.  

Of course, I couldn't leave my cover plain so I decorated it before binding my book.

Fold paper and Mark the holes for Binding:
Next fold all your pages in half.  You can use a bone folder or just do it by hand.  Make sure the folds are tight.

Book covers and papers put together to mark spot for binding holes. Minimum of 4, could get fancy and do 6.  But for this size 4 is fine. 
Putting it together: 
Punch holes in all the individual papers at the marked spot.  Then arrange the papers in groups.  I put 4 to a group in my book and made 3 groups.

My sharp needle had no trouble going through the paper.  

Once you have your groups you are ready to sew.  Start at the outside bottom and go through the bottom hole of each paper in the group.  Then up and out the second hole.  Continue moving up the paper to the top.

Once the first group is done, put the second group beside it and sew it.  

As you sew the second group together overlap your threads with the first group where possible for a more secure binding.  Then add the third section.

I used coloured embroidery thread for the final stage just for colour.  
Add the cover
This is a little tricky.  The holes in the cover pieces should be 1/4 inch from the edge and line up with the holes in your book. (Punch the holes first, just like the paper.) Again starting on the outside, knot your thread and put the needle through the top cover.  Then knot your thread with each of the groups as you move across to the back cover.  Go through the back cover hole then cross the spine and go through the front cover. (Inside to the outside) Repeat the same process as at the first hole.  As you can see I referred to her video as I did this stage.  Work down the spine of the book and then work up it again for extra strength.  Your Done.

Try New THINGS with your papers
When book is bound the different coloured papers and sizes makes for interesting pages. 
Use old pictures, coloured papers, different textures whatever inspires you.  You can see I used a smaller piece of white paper so my brown paper acts as a boarder when I open to this page and I also glued on a piece of paper with a monoprint on it.  This is going to be a really fun page to draw on when I get to it.

Add old pictures you like - I never finished this ink drawing on watercolour paper.  Now I can play with it

I get double duty out of this old drawing.  I can revisit the drawing and the back is 2 pages in my book.

I know I was pretty conservative when I made my first book.  I wasn't sure how things would work out and I was really in a hurry to do it.  My next book will have a few more pages, more coloured paper and few more smaller pieces.  I like how you can make dutchdoors with these smaller pages.  I do like the size, 5.25 x 7.  It gives me a big enough page to work on that doesn't take forever to fill.

I do encourage you to watch Julia Bausenhardt's Video before starting your project.  She presented a very straight forward easy to follow video that I know you will find helpful.

So now I have my new book, I am going to get to work.  Next week, come see what I did.  In the meantime get your book out or try making your own.  Then crack it open.

Further Reading: 
Turn Your Sketchbook into your Own Personal Treasure  - Using Watercolour and Absorbent Ground to paint the cover of your sketchbook.
Finish Your Sketchbook with a Flair - Using collaging and acrylic pens to decorate your sketchbook cover.
Did you Test Run your Portable Art Kit? - Getting your portable Art Kit ready for the road.

WENDY MOULD IS ONLINE:  

I 'm Now offering Private Mentoring/Coaching ONLINE

Want to make pictures that sing?  Move your Art Career forward?  Get a handle on your art business?

Let's Talk

Imagine, your own personal coach, in discussion with YOUR images:  Discussing your goals; Ways to move your artwork forward.   Sessions: 30 minutes each

Package: 3 session: $75 + tx       Flexible Booking Schedule

Contact Wendy to book your session - Send me your pictures and let's Get to Work!

Get a Taste for Online Learning with my Blog & Video Combos: 


1.  Have you tried Monotypes?   - Blog post with video link on how to do Monotypes and ways to incorporate it into your art. 

2.  One Awesomemazonly Sketchbook Activity - Blog post with video link on a great Sketchbook Activity to inspire and challenge you.  

 (Be sure to like and comment while your are there. πŸ€—)


There is something you can do . . .
I am thrilled to be named a Finalist for the YWCA Women of Distinction for Arts, Culture and Design for my volunteer work.  Although there is no public voting for these awards there is one part of the event that is a People's Choice Award. 
It is the Connecting the Community Award.  (👨link) 

It's purpose is to create awareness for the YWCA Community Programs.  This award is by People's Choice.  So follow the link and vote for me and my choice "Reducing Child Poverty".  Vote as many times as you like, results tallied in early May 2020.  Thanks for your support.

When Life settles down: 

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 

Gift Certificates Available 


Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy




No comments: