Mar 12, 2020

Have You Demoed During a Show? - Painting & Drawing Tips

Paints Flying. Brushes dancing. People cheering. 
It's Show Day!  
Really.  People cheering.  
Don't you wish it was really like that.


The realities of Demoing while doing an Art Show are not quite like that. But they can be pretty close.  People may not cheer but they certainly will watch. They will smile and definitely tell you how wonderful you are. 

Wendy working on a heron during the Art Show - No, people don't cheer but they certainly hang over my shoulder and want to talk about my work.  

The West Fine Art Spring Show is over.  While I was there I  talked with artists that were doing demos in their booths.  Serge Demetrius Dube had a big demo set up and painted with gusto.  He certainly had groups of people around and they did cheer when the picture was done.  (Sorry couldn't get shots of that as I was busy at my own booth).  Serge had a large area for his display, paints with large tubes of paint and paints very quickly.  Very conducive for a splashy display.  

Serge's Demos are fast and entertaining.  His paintings come to life very quickly. 

But what about other kinds of demos . . .

Not all of us are fast, our space may be quite limited and our medium less dramatic.  Can we do a demo too? and Why would we want too?

Working in detail with coloured pencils doesn't seem that exciting but many were stopping to talk to Allison.  There was a real fascination with 'all those pencils'. 

Allison Philpott is a coloured pencil artist.  Definitely more low key demo than Serge.  But she had a table set up for her demo and worked on a picture throughout the show.  "I find it draws people in and it inspires questions and curiosity.  I like the opportunity to educate people about my medium.  It also eliminates those awkward silences".

Joyce 's lion painting was very intriguing to look at.  Especially with his eyes looking out at you.  

Joyce Trygg paints in watercolour and acrylic.  She feels demoing her work is important and always has a table with some work in progress for people to see.  "I always like to have a portion of the painting near completion.  That way it looks interesting and people can understand what it will be.  You know how terrible the early stages of a painting can be.  If it is an animal I always have the eyes nearly done."  (Note her small portable palette for her demos. Working in a small space is crucial when you only have a 10 x 10 booth or smaller) 

Jim is happy to chat at he works away on one of his small pieces.  It is captivating to watch the dots 'become something'. 

Jim Pescott works with pointillism in acrylic.  His landscapes are vivid and bright with a very realistic feel from a distance.  But up close you can see the hundreds of dots of paint that make up the picture.  "People looking at my style can't understand my art.  I find it helps them connect to the images on the wall when they see me work.  It urges them to ask questions.  These are the things that help build a relationship with them."

I chatted with artist Ken Nash, he paints very large, realist landscapes.  He calls his work Realscapes.  Ken wasn't demoing this show as he was busy in the organizational part of it.  "I do realscapes, very detailed work that does not make for an interesting demo.  So I often demo little things, like how I paint rocks or trees. It gives a sense of how I work."

Certainly looking to the artists tells you how to set up a demo but I think my student, Karina sums it up as to why.  "When you get more information about the process to make the picture, you look at it differently. "  Certainly, my experience has born this out.

Side Note: After completing my research I have decided to buy another 2 x 4 table for my booth setup.  I can see that my table is too small. I have been demoing with my drawing on a board on my lap. However, after looking at other setups I think it would be more effective to have it out on a table.

Further reading: 
Preparing for the Big Show - points to think about as you get organized for Show Time
6 Steps to Victory over the Monster in the Closet - Planning and Showing in Art Markets
Set Up Day: A Day in the Life of an Artist - Steps in setting up for a show


There is something you can do . . .
I am thrilled to be named a Finalist for the YWCA Women of Distinction for Arts, Culture and Design for my volunteer work.  Although there is no public voting for these awards there is one part of the event that is a People's Choice Award. 

It is the Connecting the Community Award.  (🡨link) 

It's purpose is to create awareness for the YWCA Community Programs.  This award is by People's Choice.  So follow the link and vote for me and my choice "Reducing Child Poverty".  Vote as many times as you like, results tallied for the Awards Dinner May 11, 2020.  Thanks for your support. 

Spring Shows Coming Soon
Sunday, April 26, 10-4pm  Artswest Spring Show & Sale  Elgin Hall, 14250 Crescent Rd, Surrey, BC.   Admission Free, Raffle for picture of your choice, Refreshments, and more.  Info: www.artswest.ca


Wednesday April 29 - Saturday,  May 2, 10-4pm     Paints’n Bloom Show + Bonus Workshop DayMandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby. 
Featuring Artists Wendy Mould, AFCA & Audrey Bakewell
in Support of the Alzheimer’s Society of BC.

Workshop Day, Wednesday, April 29

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class $40 All supplies incl - Great opportunity to learn the secrets of watercolor
1-3pm Creative Card Class $40 All supplies incl. - See the magic you can create with butterflies and flowers.
Register Wendy   

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 


Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy


No comments: