Mar 5, 2020

FABULOUSLY AWESOME NEWS!! - YWCA Women of Distinction Awards - Painting & Drawing Tips


Have you ever wondered how a jury show happens?  A Plein Air Festival? A Community Gallery? Even the monthly functions of an Art Group?

All these things happen because of Volunteers. . .


Yep!  That's me, I am a Finalist for the Women of Distinction Award

I know because I am one of them.  I must admit for me it is a way of life.  My mom and dad always jumped in and helped no matter what organization they were with.  I find getting involved means I meet lots of interesting people, make some really great friends and have way more fun.  

As a kid I was always busy with one group or another. My dad ran the Sunday School at the air base we lived at in Nova Scotia. Over 600 kids.  My mom was a teacher and my brother, sister and myself were the gofers: collecting, carrying, running about, helping to keep it all running smoothly each week.  

As I got older I coached, I ran committees, I organized, cooked for cub camps, ran booths at fun fairs, took teams to out of town tournaments, even did group camps for 40 girls, 8-12.  (Very lucky with the weather on those trips.)  

So what has this got to do with my Fabulously Awesome News you ask. . . .

Some of my Support Team - It is great to have them at my back.  

It is so exciting to be recognized by this group.  The YWCA Women of Distinction Awards honours individuals and organizations whose outstanding activities and achievements contribute to the well-being and future of our community.  

What are some of the things that I have been doing for the last 12 years that brought me to this point. Really things that I always do - when I join something I get involved. But volunteering is only part of it.  Each of the women Finalist have also started new initiatives.   

One of my big projects is working with emerging artists to teach them how to promote themselves and engage with the community.  This has been ongoing for 11 years - speaking at conferences, writing articles, giving talks to art groups, running workshops and one-on-one mentoring.  

It is so energizing to work with a group on Marketing Skills for a whole day!

The other big project, also ongoing, is The 3 Day Plein Air Festival at Kilby Historical Site.  This premier event is running into its 6 year and I have been involved with since the beginning.  It has grown to be one of Kilby's flagship events.  

Everyone wanted to paint the flowers - Join us August 14-16 at Kilby Historical Site  

I have other smaller projects: working with talented young artists, mentoring emerging artists, promoting the Arts in Surrey, executive for an Art Group, Director for an Art Groups, working on Steering committees. . .  

I am thrilled to be up for this award but I must admit.  Just being a Finalist is awesome.  Fabulously Awesome.  

There is something you can do . . .

There is one award that is a People's Choice Award.  It is the Connecting the Community Award.  It's purpose is to create awareness for the YWCA Community Programs.  This award is by people's choice.  So follow the link and vote for me and my choice "Reducing Child Poverty".  Vote as many times as you like, results tallied for the Awards Dinner May 11, 2020.  Thanks for your support. 

JOIN ME at THE BIG SHOW!!!!

March 6-8, 2020 - The West Fine Arts Show
In support of Langley School District Youth Homelessness Initiatives
Friday March 6, 7-9pm              Saturday March 7, 11-7pm              Sunday, March 8, 11-5pm

 Peter Ewart Middle School, 7755 202A St, Langley BC. 

 Yes, I have teamed up with this great show event: 22 Professional Artists, Awesome Art, a show you shouldn't miss.  Looking forward to seeing you there. 


Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 

My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

   



No comments: