Jun 13, 2019

Finish Your Sketchbook with a FLAIR!! - Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you every noticed how BORING the covers of a really good sketchbook are??
My favourite Travel Sketchbook - Stillman & Birn (Zeta Series)  BUT not exciting/inspirational to look at!!

Don't get me wrong, my favourite travel sketchbook is a Stillman & Birn - Zeta Series.

 The paper is smooth allowing great freedom for my pen or pencil work.  The pages are thick, meaning my watercolours can be wet and intense but the colours don't show through.  And best of all, the pages don't warp and wrinkle.  The book opens flat, making it easy to work on.  And in my favourite size  5.5 x 8.5 inches, which is light, compact and great to slide into my backpack.

But that dark navy blue cover is BORING!!

Hence, my need to finish my sketchbook with a Flair!!

Now this may not be a problem for Acrylic and Collage Artists as they are use to working on just about any surface  But for those of us that work in watercolour, colour pencil, pencil, ink; those kind of media do not like just any kind of support.  They want their own special stuff and it certainly doesn't include sketchbook covers.

So we have to improvise . . . 

You are probably wondering WHY?  Why even worry about it.  Why do anything.  Just move on to another book.

Well for me, my sketchbooks are my BFF's.  I take them everywhere.  I work on them everywhere.  I like to look at them, share them, enjoy them.  They inspire me.  They fill me with joy.  (Especially on those days when I need a nudge.)  They record my history.  I love looking back.  They give me confidence to move forward.  See what I mean, they are important and so I need to finish with a FINALE.

Finishing my Italy Sketchbook with a FLAIR

The Trevi may be full of tourists but it is a magnificent sight to see 

1.  My idea: I want a picture from my adventure on my cover.  This is something I decide towards the end of my trip.  I was really fascinated with all the sculptures I saw in Italy and enjoyed drawing them.  My idea - paint part of the Trevi Fountain.  I know hey, neat idea.

2.  Paint my picture: I used my regular watercolours from my portable kit, very small brushes, very fine permanent ink pen (01) and painted my picture on Arches 140 lb Hot Press paper.  I knew there was going to be lots of details on such a tiny picture so I needed a smooth surface, Hot Press paper has that.  I painted a solid orange piece of watercolour paper as well to act as a border to my picture.
To varnish watercolour, use 4 or 5 light coats, allow drying time between each coat then give it a few days to really dry.  

3.  Varnished my watercolour: Yes, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  The watercolour must be protected.  I know there are some acrylic mediums that I could have put over it but I wanted the clean, crisp image of my ink and watercolour.  So varnish it is.  Several coats.  4 or 5 are good, with drying time in between.  Golden Varnish -Archival Varnish (Matt)
There are several different products in this line, I just buy this one and use it for all my things.  It gives a good strong bond. 

4.  Glue the watercolour to my book:  I use Golden Soft Gel Semi-Gloss. It has a good medium thick consistency that really makes me feel it fills in the gaps and holds my paper to the book.  I used this to stick the two pieces of watercolour paper together first.  Left it to dry with pressure on it for a good solid bond.  Once dry, I then stuck my picture to my book using the same gel.  I left it over night with pressure on it, just to be sure it was dry.
These pens are pricey but are easy to refill. They come in a variety of colours. 

5.  Add my Text: I love these Molotow Pens.  They are acrylic paint.  Ok, so I am not a purist.  I do use a bit of acrylic paint for some things.  I used a white 1mm pen.  If you decide to get one, I would suggest you get a 2mm pen.  I found the 1mm was too narrow and required lots of extra work to get thicker letters.

Now isn't this a more inspiring Sketchbook?!
Ta Da!!  Now this is a book to inspire you to do more!!
Can't Ignore the BACK: Found this little memory of Florence in a book stand 

Final Notes: 

1.  Don't feel you have to paint everything: ink with a bit of colour can be very interesting.  Check out some of my pages in the last two posts and you will notice some are only partially painted.  This is not only an aesthetics thing but also a time save.

A bit of sky and painted my gondala, the rest tells my story without more colour. 

2.  Report on New Colour to my Kit: I mentioned that I was not happy with the Indathrene Blue and it was not coming to Italy.  I decided to try Daniel Smith's Neutral Tint.  It was great.  It gave me a quick dark when I needed it and it was great for a little graying of a colour when I needed it.  When you are working with a little kit and little space for mixing, having a quick colour changer is very nice.

Looking to get your Sketchbook Up to Snuff: check out my Italy series on Sketch-Booking: 

1.  Is Your Sketchbook Ready to Roll
2.  My Really Smallmendous Art Kit
3.  Did you Test Run your Portable Art Kit
4.  Sketch-Booking in Italy - Part 1
5.  Sketch-Booking in Italy - Part 2 

Next post - Looking for something different than ink and watercolour for your sketchbooking. Coming Up, another medium that might catch your eye.


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.


Join me for a morning of  Outdoor Sketching: 

Small group Outdoor Sketching Classes on Tuesday morning, July 30, August 6, 13, and 20.  The classes will be small, max  5.  We will meet at 10-12:30 in a few of the local parks in North Surrey.  ie. Bear Creek Park, Tynehead Park.  The cost is: $45 tx incld. per session  Book all 4 sessions for $150. Bring your own supplies
Contact Me to register.   and for more information. 

FYI
Plein Air Event at Kilby Historical Site - August 16 -18, 2019


215 Kilby Rd, Harrison Mills, BC – approx. 1.5 hr drive from Vancouver
(or stay our there. I like to camp at Kilby Campsite but there are lots of  places to stay close by.  Makes for a great little adventure.)

 On Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning, painters will be capturing  breathtaking historic vistas, 1920s farm equipment, historic buildings, lush gardens & orchards, delightful farm animals and surrounding mountains.  Not hard to find something to catch your eye.

This is a fun, outdoor adventure for everyone.  Sunday afternoon, brings live entertainment and awards ceremony.  There is a competitive and non-competitive part to the event, so great prizes for everyone.  Cost $15 Registration: events@kilby.ca  more info: kilby.ca

I have been part of this event since it started 5 years ago and I never get tired of wondering the grounds and finding little vignettes to paint.  I know you will enjoy yourself.

If you decide not to join us to paint, come out and see the fun.  On Friday and Saturday,  Artists are set up all over the grounds working away or come see the 'Showing and Sale' on Sunday.

Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: