Feb 27, 2020

Preparing for the "BIG SHOW" - Painting & Drawing Tips

OMG!!  Less than Two weeks till Show Day!
Where did the time go?
I had tons of time when the date was set.  Now, suddenly Show Day is nearly here.

The West Fine Art Show:  set up in 2019

This is a very Strange time for Artists . . .

For the last few months, I have been in Creation Mode.  Painting. Drawing. Putting Ideas together for new works.  'Tis the days we artists live for'.  Tremendous feelings of success as each new work is finished.  Playing in my studio.  Trying new methods.

But those days are over . . .

My brushes are down.  The studio light is off.  My computer and charts have taken over.  A new kind of planning begins.

You would think that after entering over 100+ shows, putting a booth together would be a quick fix.  Not so. . .  Every show is different. . .  Each has its own little quirks.

Every Show Site has its own Quirks: Having great lighting has certain requirements (2019 set up) 

Most show spaces are 10 x 10.  Some provide stuff. Some don't.  For this show provided wall panels, lighting and a hanging system.   It's awesome.  Standard black walls for all the booths, beautiful lighting that show your work off to perfection.  And a hanging system that works great if you have large pictures.  Some of my pictures are large but you know how much I love small things too.  I have some 8 x 10 groupings and even a set of three 5 x 7 wood blocks that I want to show.  Pre-planning is a must.

It will take all the artists 3 hours to set up the booths

But my first question is "What to take?"

Like any artist, I have more pieces then a 10 x 10 booth will hold.  Who gets to come and who stays home.  I have several things in mind:

1. Who will be coming to the show?  What are there interests?  For example, should I focus on domestic animals or wild ones.

Everyone has to learn how to install and connect.  

2.  Planning the space: What furniture will I need? Is there any furniture provided?  Any restrictions as to 'how full' your space can be?

3.  What is the hanging system?  How will my pictures work with it? Can I cluster my small pieces?

4.  Are there restrictions/requirements for cards, prints and other things?

5.  Do I need a 'working space' to demo my work?

Its work to set up but also a time of camaraderie as you meet and natter with all the artists 

More diagrams and lists to make. . .

One solution I have found that works for me is to plan each wall before I pack.  This helps me visualize how much I can take and how it will look together.  I want a spacious gallery feel not a cluttered cleared out my studio look.

Side wall Practice Set Up (2019):  Need to take measurements as well to speed up the hanging process on site.

With this venue I also need to keep the hanging system in mind.  It is long cables with clamps on it so my big pieces do well but the smaller ones need extra reinforcement so they don't dangle.  Also clusters need to be vertical not horizontal.

Side Wall set up on site (2019) - Looks good but I felt it was a little crowded.  I will change it up a bit this year.  
Well I better get back to work.  Organizing for a show takes time.  I am glad to have records and pictures from last year.  It does help in this year's planning.

Come and see the results of  all this planning.  I look forward to sharing my work with you.
Further Reading
Stories about some of the new show pieces: 
The Trouble with Photo References - working on my Short-eared Owl: On the Prowl
Painting with Dirty Water - the story behind my horses in Pick Of the Herd

More on Organizing for Shows: 
6 Steps to Victory over the Monster in the Closet - Planning and Showing in Art Markets
Set Up Day: A Day in the Life of an Artist - Steps in setting up for a show

JOIN ME FOR THE BIG SHOW!!!!

March 6-8, 2020 - The West Fine Arts Show
In support of Langley School District Youth Homelessness Initiatives
Friday March 6, 7-9pm              Saturday March 7, 11-7pm              Sunday, March 8, 11-5pm

 Peter Ewart Middle School, 7755 202A St, Langley BC. 

 Yes, I have teamed up with this great show event: 22 Professional Artists, Awesome Art, a show you shouldn't miss.  Looking forward to seeing you there. 


Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 

My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: