Aug 1, 2019

What colour is Water?? Painting & Drawing Tips


Have you noticed that the ocean water is NOT BLUE?

Well OK, sometimes it is but most of the time  . . . NOT!

HERON ON THE SHORE - Matted 5 x 7, ink & watercolour, $130

Each summer I look forward to heading out and doing lots of Plein Air work and just plan old Outdoor Sketching in my sketchbooks.  Our favourite place right now is Texada Island on the southwest coast of Canada. 

For me its is special.  During the rest of the year I am working in forest trails, along a lake or stream but Not. By. The. Ocean. 

My summer treat is painting along the ocean shores. 

As I work, I work everyday while we are there, I find I: learn new things; discover new colour combos; meet new challenges - some I succeed and others not.  But always I come away with new work that blows me away -  Same Inspiration each year but the results are entirely different. 

This years challenges:

1.     Painting Grey: Yes, Grey.  Those wonderful knurly logs glistening in the sun.  The rocks peaking out of the water as the tide slowly moves out.  The old piles still standing in the water, from days gone by.  And of course, don’t forget the sand.  Grey, Grey Grey.  Not even a dark or light grey, a washed out grey.  Bleached by that very sun that is making it such a wonderful day.  See more on this with last post. HERE .


EAGLE WITH HIS CATCH -  5 x 7, ink & watercolour, $130 

2.    Finding the Colour of Water:  When you look up the Georgia Strait, which we do on Texada, you see a wide expanse of blue - warm blue, grey blue, purple blue, pink blue, deep Prussian Blue. . . The weather dictates the colour.  Its what you would expect with the grand vista of the water and mountains.  But when you get up close and personal things change.

Water isn't blue any more. 
In the summer when I paint my wildlife pictures, I paint plein air.  No, I am not magic, I can not get an eagle to sit still while I paint him.  I do however paint all of his setting plein air.

Throughout my trip I am constantly taking pictures of any wildlife I see.  At the same time I sit on the beach and draw and paint rocks, logs, seaweed, water, . . I save 'a place' for my star.  For example, Eagle with his Catch. I photographed the eagle on a bluff as he ate his catch, I couldn't sketch him as Max and I were kayaking at the time.  Later, when walking the beach, I found a great rock to 'set my eagle on'.  


Plein Air painting helps you really understand what is happening around your subject .  . . 


Closeup from Heron on the Rocks

What does water really look like? 

Take a look at this close up from Heron on the Rocks.  Note some of the colour changes:

1. Rock shadows vary depending on how close they are to you
2.  Shallow water begins to reflect the ground underneath it.
3. The colours of the trees and other things on land behind you are reflected into the water especially closer to the shore
4.  Where the sky and water meet may become ambiguous when dealing with open water
5.  The sky colours are reflected in the water. (Probably could do a whole post on "What colour is the Sky?)

Bit overwhelming. . . .

I find if I am sitting right there and looking at all of this, it seems to make sense.  I can take this information and run with it.  The result, a picture that is believable, reads as realistic but still reflecting my own interpretation.  


OYSTER CATCHERS ON THE ROCKS - 5 x 7, ink & watercolour, $130
Once you really start looking at water, especially near shore, there is so much to see.  What catches your eye the most in water?


Are your sketchbooks calling you?  Looking for more practice.

If you live in the Fraser Valley, think about joining me this summer for a Morning of Outdoor Sketching.  An easy way to immerse yourself into sketching with ink and watercolour.  See the info below ↓  ↓  ↓  


OR Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me.

Join me for a morning of  Outdoor Sketching: 

Small group Outdoor Sketching Classes on Tuesday morning, August 6, 13, and 20.

The classes will be small, max  5.  We will meet at 10-12:30 in a few of the local parks in North Surrey.  ie. Bear Creek Park, Tynehead Park.  The cost is: $45 tx incld. per sessionl. Bring your own supplies.  This is what my kit is like, see HERE
Contact Me to register.   and for more information. 


Or A Day at the Farm - Art Jam at the Farm - Sunday, Aug 11
A full day of ARt here in East Langley, BC

I will be one of the morning instructors with a Outdoor Drawing Session but there will be other sessions as well.  All Sessions are 3 hr.  Cost $100 before Aug 8 & $120 after

Morning Sessions

  • Abstract Painting with Russell Leng
  • Collagraphs with Edith Krause
  • Pastels with Watercolour with Don Portelance
  • Drawing with Wendy Mould
  • Painting Life with Olivia de Fleuriot Perry
    Afternoon Sessions - Lunch Provided

  • Life Drawing (from a clothed model) with Claire Moore
  • Cyanotype with Michelle Vandyk

Registration and More Information HERE


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.


FYI
Plein Air Event at Kilby Historical Site - August 16 -18, 2019


215 Kilby Rd, Harrison Mills, BC – approx. 1.5 hr drive from Vancouver
(or stay our there. I like to camp at Kilby Campsite but there are lots of  places to stay close by.  Makes for a great little adventure.)

 On Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning, painters will be capturing  breathtaking historic vistas, 1920s farm equipment, historic buildings, lush gardens & orchards, delightful farm animals and surrounding mountains.  Not hard to find something to catch your eye.

This is a fun, outdoor adventure for everyone.  Sunday afternoon, brings live entertainment and awards ceremony.  There is a competitive and non-competitive part to the event, so great prizes for everyone.  Cost $15 Registration: events@kilby.ca  more info: kilby.ca

I have been part of this event since it started 5 years ago and I never get tired of wondering the grounds and finding little vignettes to paint.  I know you will enjoy yourself.

If you decide not to join us to paint, come out and see the fun.  On Friday and Saturday,  Artists are set up all over the grounds working away or come see the 'Showing and Sale' on Sunday.

Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy




No comments: