Aug 22, 2019

Plein Air Painting or Chasing Pigs & Goats - Painting and Drawing Tips



Do you view Plein Air Painting as a Static Activity?  You come, you set up, you stand, you paint, you’re done.  Other than moving your painting arm, you are basically motionless. 

JUDGE, THE KING OF THE CASTLE - all the goats had a turn standing on the cart.  

In many ways, that is probably true. 

Of course that doesn’t take into account, your brain.  It is moving a mile a minute.  And don’t forget that you are stepping back, looking, evaluating and then moving in for the ‘stroke’.  So yes there is movement. 

However, Plein Air Painting with Pigs and Goats is definitely not STATIC.  . .

Painting the Flowers was a very Popular Theme for many of the artists

Last weekend was the Plein Air Festival at Kilby Historical site.  It is a great 3 day event.  Okay, as one of the organizers I am a little prejudice.  But really, 3 days to paint on a Historical site, for $20 with great prizes for everyone.  Who wont have a good time? 

Others were in the orchard, with the veggie garden and scarecrow to catch your eye

This is my 5th year helping out.  Each year I challenge myself to step outside of my box a bit. (see last year's Pen & Ink Portraits) This year it was to draw animals from life.  As a wildlife artist I draw lots of birds and animals in great detail but always from photos.  This year was going to be different.  No photos, just the real thing. 

THE 3 LITTLE PIGS - Chasing pigs around the pen to draw them was not such a popular place

Do you realize Pigs and Goats are on the move.  All the time. . . 

Drawing them is a bit like a bunch of 2 minute poses in Life Drawing.  Actually some were maybe 1 minute.  It was a challenge.  My goat, Judge was first.  That little picture took me 4 hours!!  ‘The 3 Little Pigs’ went much smoother.  And I felt I got more interesting poses for my animals.

Things I learned while chasing Pigs and Goats:

1.     You need to watch the animals for a bit to see what kind of poses they make and what poses you want to include in your picture.  When I was drawing Judge I was so busy getting his body shape, I really didn’t pick a very interesting head position.  I wished later I had his head turned a bit. 

Of Course there is a show to display all the hard work

2.    You need to quickly layout where they will be your picture plane.  I used a rough circle the size I thought the animals should be.  For my pigs, I made each circle a different size, to put them in a different plane.  I also needed them to be facing different ways. 

3.    You really do need to chase pigs and goats if you want to draw them.  They don’t stay still.  While sleeping yes, but not such an interesting pose.  As they move, watch for a duplication of the pose you want. You wont get the whole body duplicated but you can see how: the legs work; the shoulder connects to the back; the different way the ears bend. . . .   Basically draw the pigs in pieces. 

4.    You should be ready to work on the setting/background when things are quiet.  In my case the pigs went into their house.  My goat trotted off to the other end of the field.  So I worked on the trees, the ground, fence posts. Other stuff. I had the advantage of knowing soon people would come along with food for the animals and they would be back.  I know, this wont work in the wild but hey, maybe with lots of practice I will be faster and able to do detailed 2 minute poses of a heron or deer.

Pigs, goats, flowers, old buildings all found their way into the paintings


5.    You need to be patient.  Waiting and watching.  Pretty soon they will turn, sit, stand. And you will be ready to gather more information for your drawing.
 
6.    You need to celebrate your work.  I know my goat and pigs aren’t perfect, but hey.  I am pleased.  They look like pigs and goats.  My pigs have a sense of movement.  They have interesting poses.  I am ready to try again. 

 Have you tried drawing animals from life?  Any thoughts on what helps you?

The Festival wasn’t all chasing pigs.  . .

Max and I got out for several paddles. Weather was up and down but still great sights.  Saw an bald eagle catch a fish and carry it off.  

It was meeting new people.  Catching up with old friends.  Sharing stories.  Lots of laughs.  Seeing how others took up their own challenges and come up with some neat ideas.  And of course the best part was celebrating at the end.  There was so many different, awesome, interesting pictures capturing the Kilby grounds.  The Festival has a Grand Prize which is juried, A People Choice Award and then lots of door prizes for all the contestants.  Any age can enter and any age did.  Even the weather cooperated, well for the most part anyway.  

Helen, Joanne and myself were the jurors, loved this winning painting by Stephenie Egg
Special thanks to Kilby and their Staff for hosting such a fun event.  And special thanks to singers Lawrence Congie and Bruce Coughean who sang for us Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Awesome sounds guys.  And of course a special thanks to all the sponsors for adding to the event. 


FYI - Plein Air Festival at Kilby next year - August 21-23, 2020
 Put it in your Calendar and join us for a fun time.  Come for 1 day or all the days.  Book a campsite with Kilby and stay the whole time.  That's what I do.  

 Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓
Upcoming Drawing Classes: 

Sunday, September 22 & 29, Beecher Place, Crescent Beach, S Surrey. 1-3pm. $40 ea. 
Part 1: Get that Line Drawing Right - Sept 22
Part 2: Values, Light & Shadows - Sept 29
Beginners to Advanced Welcome.  Come to one or both.      
Drop-In and Draw
Monday, September 30, 1-4pm Beecher Place, Cres. Beach $20.  Get tips on old projects or new. 


Contact Wendy to Register and for more information.  

OR Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225 
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 

September 19-30 I will be at Beecher Place with Art Theo featuring Art by myself, Doris Biddle and Donna Schipfel.  During our stay we will be offering classes and showing/selling our work. I have Drawing Classes on the Sundays (Sept 22 & 29)  and a Drop-In Session (Sept 30)  for those that want to practice more from the classes or would like help in their own projects or starting new ones. 

Doris will be offering a 2 Day class working with Acrylics $80 and a Ceramic Painting class $45.  Donna will be offering 2 classes on Watercolour on Rice paper $40 ea.

FYI
I am scheduled for a Demo at Opus this fall: 

 Drawing: Values, Light & Shadows Saturday, Oct 19, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30 Free 
Contact Langley Opus to Register  604.533.0601


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy





No comments: