Aug 8, 2019

Is Your Sketchbook Lonely? Painting & Drawing Tip


Does your Sketchbook lay in a dark and lonely place? 
Does it make you feel guilty whenever you see it?
  
Does its clean, white, unblemished pages scare you? 

I know how you feel.
 
MOUAT BAY - See below for the SECRETS of this Page

Life is short. Things to do. Always something more important. Promise myself I will get to it later. Too busy. Too tired. Not inspired. Been there, done that. 

I think part of my problem was I didn’t think it was important. 

I felt if I was drawing and painting, it had to be Special. Perfect. Salable. 

Sketchbooks are Not a Finished Studio Work of ART.

They are for fun, adventure, memories, experiments, practice, challenges, . . . .

Here is how FUN in a SKETCHBOOK can really look - Check out the SECRET part of my Moat Bay Sketch.

ISN'T THIS FUN!!
 
WHAT A NEAT SURPRISE, EH?!
PUTS A WHOLE NEW TAKE ON YOUR LINE DRAWING, EH?!

I love the ink and watercolour combo.  I enjoyed the challenge of planning the full spread.  I even used different parts of the shoreline for the watercolour section to make you feel like you were walking along the beach. 

Super Fun. 

I feel happy whenever I look at it.  It is exciting, inspiring, full of memories and helpful.  Check out my grey logs and sand.  They were part of my summer Challenges. (See more about my Challenges  HERE). I completed this project as I was working on my Grey Challenge.

Blubbler Bay, Texada - WIP

How much Time did it take to Make my Mouat Bay Project? 

Well for you, that might be a problem.  I certainly didn’t complete it in one Outdoor session.  When we are camping we stay for several weeks so I have the luxury of returning the next day to finish a drawing/painting.  Also, Max and I hike around a lot and I use a lot of that time to think about my projects and figure out what to try/do next.  (Max is pretty quiet on our walks so there is lots of thinking time.) I also take photographs and upload them to my iPad to study them and decide what works.  

Blubber Bay, Texada - Playing with Line and Colour 

Was my sketchbook Project a waste of time?

Yikes!! You are probably saying.  Why on earth spend all that time on a few pages in your sketchbook? 

For several reasons:
1.     Tried different ways of making grey logs, rocks and sand. Literally just threw down different colours to see what would happen.  Sketchbooks give you permission to play and do that.

2.    Worked with foreshortening logs.  They really worked well, but please ignore the breakwater for the log sort in the left corner.  It probably looks fine to you as you don’t know what it should look like.  😝

3.    Practiced drawing a complex scene

4.    Experimented different ways to make values to create depth

5.    Played with my colours for water (See my post “What Colour is Water? For more on that)

6.    Plugged away on my composition skills - really tried to make a pleasing, interesting, waterscape

Van Anda Harbour, Texada - Trying out my Lamy Pen with a midsize knib

7.    Had fun thinking & playing with ink and colour- I know, I need to get a life.  But I enjoyed the challenge of the project once I decided to do it.  I even looked for a special area along the shore and waited for low tide so it would be more interesting. 

Van Anda Harbour, Texada - WIP

  So No, not a waste of Time.  

Rummage through your drawer, dig into your cupboard and get out your sketchbook.  The weather is perfect for getting out and doing some sketching/painting.  Keep it simple or make it complex, regardless, you will enjoy yourself.  And I guarantee you will learn a few things. 

Are your sketchbooks calling you?  Looking for more practice.

If you live in the Fraser Valley, think about joining me this summer for a Morning of Outdoor Sketching.  An easy way to immerse yourself into sketching with ink and watercolour.  See the info below ↓  ↓  ↓  


OR Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me.

Join me for a morning of  Outdoor Sketching: 

Small group Outdoor Sketching Classes on Tuesday morning, August 13, and 20.  Only 2 sessions left

The classes will be small, max  5.  We will meet at 10-12:30 in a few of the local parks in North Surrey.  ie. Bear Creek Park, Tynehead Park.  The cost is: $45 tx incld. per session. Bring your own supplies.  This is what my kit is like, see HERE
Contact Me to register.   and for more information. 


Or A Day at the Farm - Art Jam at the Farm - Sunday, Aug 11
A full day of ARt here in East Langley, BC

I will be one of the morning instructors with a Outdoor Drawing Session but there will be other sessions as well.  All Sessions are 3 hr.  Cost $100 before Aug 8 & $120 after

Morning Sessions  - Still time to sign up


  • Collagraphs with Edith Krause
  • Drawing with Wendy Mould
  • Afternoon Sessions - Lunch Provided

  • Life Drawing (from a clothed model) with Claire Moore
  • Collagraphs Continued
Registration and More Information HERE



My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.


FYI
Plein Air Event at Kilby Historical Site - August 16 -18, 2019

215 Kilby Rd, Harrison Mills, BC – approx. 1.5 hr drive from Vancouver
(or stay our there. I like to camp at Kilby Campsite but there are lots of  places to stay close by.  Makes for a great little adventure.)

 On Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning, painters will be capturing  breathtaking historic vistas, 1920s farm equipment, historic buildings, lush gardens & orchards, delightful farm animals and surrounding mountains.  Not hard to find something to catch your eye.

This is a fun, outdoor adventure for everyone.  Sunday afternoon, brings live entertainment and awards ceremony.  There is a competitive and non-competitive part to the event, so great prizes for everyone.  Cost $15 Registration: events@kilby.ca  more info: kilby.ca

I have been part of this event since it started 5 years ago and I never get tired of wondering the grounds and finding little vignettes to paint.  I know you will enjoy yourself.

If you decide not to join us to paint, come out and see the fun.  On Friday and Saturday,  Artists are set up all over the grounds working away or come see the 'Showing and Sale' on Sunday.

Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy






No comments: