Aug 15, 2019

Have you De-cluttered your Paintings? Painting & Drawing Tips

Have you tried to sell a house recently? 
Do you watch the House Selling Reality shows?
 If you have you know all about ‘staging your house’ for selling.
BIG BLUE -  Graphite, 8 x 16 inches   $450 Matted, Unframed
This really came home to me this summer as my sister was selling her house. She sent a link to her MLA Listing. OMG! Her house looked lovely but  .  . . 

It looked like nobody lived in it!
Great for selling but not so great to live in.


Ok, I know this is a lot about personal preference.  I am not for full clutter either. I would say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being Hoarder and 1 being Sterile, I am a 4 or 5. I like a few knick-knacks and colour around but I do like to see the counters. 

Where do you fit in?

TREES AND MOSS - I like the white spaces and the combination of finished watercolour with the stand alone ink work

This summer I spent a lot of time Outdoor Painting and Sketching.   My Outdoor Paintings were finished pieces but my Sketches were often left unfinished. As such, those unfinished pieces had wide open spaces.  They were definitely 'Un-Cluttered'.   I found myself visiting this idea of clutter in a painting.

TREE ON THE ROCK -  Shingle Beach - Full of that Big White Space


BIG BLUE was the result of my thoughts.  I know, you might place him close to 1 in my Clutter Scale from above but I think of him more as a 2.  I do like the clean white area surrounding him but I feel the rocks/wood at his feet give a sense of foreground and background to the piece.  At the same time as giving him a base.  

Thoughts coming out of trying the 'Great White Space'

1.  Composition: reducing the background makes me much more aware of how my subject must interact with the picture space.  Where it is best to place him;  What creates the mood I want to convey.  

A Very HEAVILY CROPPED BIG BLUE - Certainly doesn't convey his strength and yet fragile place in the world.  This Cropped Piece seems to minimize him. I feel he is cramped by the picture frame.  

2.  Simplification of Information:  When you plan your picture, there is always a need to simplify the information.  You can not paint every leaf, car, building . . . .  You Simplify.  But what is important and what isn't.  Working with a bare background makes you more aware of what is important and certainly changes the conversation as you design you next picture. 

3. Contrast: The Great Empty White Space contrasts with the complex body of my heron. This makes for great Eye Candy.  Do you feel your eyes want to wonder around his body and examine his feathers, legs, feet, eyes , , ,  This idea of Contrast is in many parts: white/dark; bare/complex; soft/rough; sharp/dull; curvy/straight; and more.  Seeing this in action with minimal background makes you more aware of how this can work in other settings.  

4.  Mood: The importance of Mood and Message also become more apparent. I enjoy the Drama of the Black on the White.  It makes for a strong image.  My Message is strong as well: respect, reverence, relevant and yet fragile.  Worth protecting.  Important to the Universe.  

I found these thoughts really carried over to the Finished Pieces I completed.  See August's post:

a.  What Colour is Water?  - rather than finishing the water I kept it loose, added bits of colour and in the case of Heron didn't even define the horizon line.  Do you think it was needed?
b.  Painting and Drawing on the Beach - rather than a complex sky with lots of detail, I have simplified it but still 'suggested' lots.  Enough or do you think it needs more or less?

SEAGULL ON THE ROCKS - Graphite 5 x 7  $130 Matted Unframed
Here again, I like this picture.  I really enjoy that simple/complex contrast and the Drama of the Dark on White.  Makes for an interesting Seagull, eh?! 

Seeing your Subjects in that Great White Space really makes you stop and think, eh?! You can understand some of my thoughts, it did make me take a fresh look at all these issues.  Hope you are inspired by the results. 
Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?
September 19-30, I will be at Beecher Place with Art Theo featuring Art by myself, Doris Biddle and Donna Schipfel.  During our stay there we will be offering lessons as well as showing and selling our work. I plan on offering Drawing Classes on the Sunday,
 as well as a Drop-In Session at the end for those that want to practice more from the classes or would like help in their own projects or starting new ones.  see info below ↓  ↓  ↓  

Doris will be offering a 2 Day class working with Acrylics $80 and a Ceramic Painting class $45.  Donna will be offering 2 classes on Watercolour on Rice paper $40 ea. 

My Drawing Classes: 
Sunday, September 22 & 29, Beecher Place, Crescent Beach, S Surrey. 1-3pm. $40 ea. 
Part 1: Get that Line Drawing Right - Sept 22
Part 2: Values, Light & Shadows - Sept 29
Beginners to Advanced Welcome.  Come to one or both.      
Drop-In and Draw
Monday, September 30, 1-4pm Beecher Place, Cres. Beach $20.  Get tips on old projects or new.
Contact Wendy to Register and for more information.  


OR Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225



FYI
I am scheduled for a Demo at Opus this fall: 

 Drawing: Values, Light & Shadows Saturday, Oct 19, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30 Free 
Contact Langley Opus to Register  604.533.0601


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: