Jun 6, 2019

Sketch-Booking in Italy - Part 2 - Painting & Drawing Tips

My Sisters and I at the Leaning Tower of Pisa 
 Okay, I must admit, I have been home for 2 weeks now and sometimes it seems like a dream. 
How can my trip be over, already?

Have you been there?  Planned, dreamed, organized and packed.  Headed out on adventure. 
Then suddenly it is over. 

But . . . .
I have awesome memories.  So do you, I am sure. 
I have awesome pictures.  For sure you do as well.

But. . . .
Do you have an awesome sketchbook too? 
I know that was your goal, to put together a journal/sketchbook of your trip.  You collected stuff, started stuff, but now you are home and  . . .  

Been there, done that.  So disappointing. 

A few sketches from our visit to Cinque Terre

I have pledged to improve and improve I have.  Each year I juggle and change my kits, try new sketchbooks, practice new skills, things are really starting to work.  (Compare the difference in my sketchbook 2 years ago when I went to Scotland to now my Italy book. Scotland Post ). I certainly haven’t reached perfection  . . .

But quantity and quality and daring has improved. 

Here are some of things I tried that might inspire/help you to make your Art a bigger part of your adventures.  (See Sketching Booking in Italy Part 1 for more suggestions.)

The Skyline of Florence was drawn from Piazzale Michalango, the busts were done in the evening from my photo, writing and Panna Cotta on a lunch break

1.       Work in Stages: Once I fully accepted this idea, it was actually a very freeing thing to do.  I no longer felt anxious to “finish” what I was doing.  I didn’t feel I was ‘on the clock’,  my sisters would be back and things had to be finished.  I could relax and just draw/paint. I think it actually speeded me up.  Often when they returned I was wrapping up, feeling tired and ready to move on. My secret, I first took a picture of what I was going to work on.  This meant I could go back later to add more, paint more or . . . .  (See more ideas on Prepping your book before you go here)

Trains and Planes have handy little tables that let you finish up work on the page or add a little extra.  

2.      Start with my most important ‘thing’:  this actually sounds very simple when I write it but in life it is really difficult.  When faced with a Huge Amount of  Very Interesting Things, ie.   Rome’s Colosseum, Vernazza, one of 5 villages of Cinque Terre.  It is overwhelming.  You want to capture everything.  Where to start?

Picture of Venice canal was my focus but once that was done I decided to add the front of a gondola to change the perspective a bit.  Also, left most of the picture just ink, colour for the sky and colour for the foreground.  

When I accepted I couldn’t do it all, it changed my thinking.  I started to pick something that captured my eye and worked from there.  This meant I jumped in faster, got to work faster, felt confident faster.  Once, underway I moved further and further out from my focus point.  I felt I ended up capturing more and more of everything.  I really feel it was my change in philosophy that helped. 

The carousel and the Leaning Tower of Pisa were jump in and draw pictures.  A few pencil marks to set the space for the building in the bottom, then get too it.   

3.      Minimum Layout, jump to pen right away: Okay, I admit, this may be hard for you to do but you might want to set this as a goal.  Part of this means letting go of perfection and part of this means building confidence to jump in and draw. 
My favourite Outdoor Sketching medium is ink with watercolour.
  I start with ink.  I found I  just grab my book and pen and ‘going for it’.  No pencil first.  This really speeds things up as I am not reworking areas that were first done in pencil.  I know you are going to say, you can’t make changes once that permanent ink is down.  But if you work in ink for awhile you will soon learn that mistakes can ‘disappear’.  They get lost in the detail, in the crosshatching for shading, become a tree/bush/window, get covered in paint . . .   There is a host of things that can hide a wayward line, if you let go.  And move on.

Taking a break to sketch on the Spanish Steps, Rome, Italy

4.      Minimize Disruptions: Ok.  The one thing I haven’t talked about is the other people around you.  There are lots.  Let me tell you, on the Spanish Steps in Rome, there were tons of people.  But . . .  I find people are the same everywhere.  They love to see what your doing.  They love to watch.  But they do respect your space.  Very few will interrupt you while you work.  Once your stop, look around, make eye contact - you are giving them permission to talk.  So if you don’t want to be disturbed, keep your head down and pen/brush moving. 

I love the old buildings and the Church at Bagnoregio and Orvieto

 In Bagnoregio a large group of Japanese tourist came by while I was sketching the courtyard on the page above. They watched, they hung over my shoulder, they took pictures of my book, me and even sat beside me and had pictures taken with me.  All without disturbing me.  When I finished a section and looked up, we smiled and nodded and moved on.  It was kind of a neat experience for all of us. 

5.      Finish your book with a flair: This is the finale for me.  The big motivator.  I take my plain navy book and add some life to the cover. And yes, this is something I do when I get back home but it could also be done before you leave.   More on this in next week's post.  


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.


Join me for a morning of  Outdoor Sketching: 

Small group Outdoor Sketching Classes on Tuesday morning, July 30, August 6, 13, and 20.  The classes will be small, max  5.  We will meet at 10-12:30 in a few of the local parks in North Surrey.  ie. Bear Creek Park, Tynehead Park.  The cost is: $45 tx incld.per session  Book all 4 sessions for $150. Bring your own supplies
Contact Me to register.  

Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: