Mar 28, 2019

Art Battle - A Full Report - Painting & Drawing Tips


OMG!!!
Was that FUN!!
Scary. Challenging. Overwhelming. Surprising. Rewarding.
Ready to BATTLE - 25 minutes to Create

It was awesome to feel so supported and encouraged.  A special thanks to the many readers who came out to the event.  It was truly wonderful to have you at my back, your comments, smiles and attention really filled my evening.  I felt like a ‘celebrity’!!  (Not to worry, I am back to normal now. 😜)

Art Battle Report

What!! I am in the first Round! . . .
That was the start of this event.  No chance to see how others handled this medium, I was in the first group.  I tried to settle my nerves and organized my materials.  3. . 2. . 1 . .  Start! 

Thank goodness I had practiced.  I found I was able to blank out my surroundings and just settle into my painting.  Practicing with the pastels was a good idea. There was a lot of similarities in terms of blending colour and blocking in colour.  In the end, being in the first round was good.  I was able to relax and watch the other rounds and not worry about my performance. (What did I practise, you ask, see last post  Art Battle Here I come)

Some of the Competition - Every style was there

Being under the spotlight was Awesome! . . .
What a Rush, when they introduced me.  Felt so special.  While we painted people walking around the circle and watched.  Actually it wasn't that bad having someone look over your shoulder.  Only a few spoke to me, which was good as I really needed to focus to paint.  But for the most part I was in my zone and really didn't notice them.  I was shocked when I looked up at the end and saw how many were there.  
When I finished it was Unbelievable. So many people wanted to take my picture and to have pictures taken with me and my picture.  I felt like a winner.  

My Struggle was REAL. 

I'm in What? - The Championship Round! . . .
OMG!  I had practiced a few pictures for a second round but not that carefully.  I think I was afraid I would jinks myself.

Championship Round Underway - Lights, Camera, Action! (Thanks to Diane for this great picture)

Suddenly I was wishing I spent a little more time on that second idea.  I needed something different and so I went to my poppies.  I love drawing them and I thought that the soft creamy oil paint would give me a great flower petal.  

Working on my Poppy, nearly done

What a Thrill. . .
Finished my picture, people were cheering and clapping.  Again, lots of pictures and congratulations.  Wow.  Definitely a Moment in the SUN for Me. 

Had to show you this one, thanks to CJ for sending me the Picture

The Winners (Thanks to Diane for this great picture)
The awards were made, Fiona Tang - 1st, Sarah Power - 2nd and Myself 3rd.  (Right to Left)

My Takeaways. . .
If you decide to go into Battle, I have 2 pieces of advice.  One, practice your image ahead of time.  With all the things happening and emotions flying, you will find it very hard to 'wing it'.  And practice a second image, for the finals.  (You never know.)   Two, set some goals.  Mine were to relax and enjoy myself and paint good pictures.  I achieved my goals and more, getting into the Championship Round was a wonderful bonus.  
A Super Night - Thanks Everyone!! 

A Special Thanks to Melissa Burgher and Joanne Dennis for all their work in putting this event together.  And Super Special Thanks to my daughter, Cathy, who came and took LOTS of pictures of the whole Event.  

Have you gone into battle before?  What are you thoughts?  Takeaways?

Well Spring is coming fast, my trip to Italy will soon be here.  So you know what time it is for me - Sketchbook Time.  Next post, Let's Get Those Sketchbooks Humming!!


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Time to Register

May 1 - Workshop Day for Spring Show - South Burnaby

Want to experience the joy of watercolour?  Learn about the supplies? See paint in action as you create your first Masterpiece?  Join Audrey and Myself on May 1, 10-12pm for a Beginner Watercolour Class - $40 all supplies incld. 

Itching to create but want some direction? Want to make exciting cards and notes for the special people in your life? Add design to your sketchbooks and journals? Join Myself and Audrey on May 1, 1-3pm for a Creative Card Class - $40 all supplies incld.  This year's theme: Flowers and Ladybugs.  

Audrey Bakewell and Myself include this Workshop Day as part of our Spring and Fall Shows at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.  Both classes are very popular and fill up very quickly.  

SPRING SHOW:     Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale
 in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC

 Thursday, May 2  to Saturday,  May 4 

Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby


W
orkshop Day: Wednesday, May 1 

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class

1-3pm Spring Card Making Class

$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome


Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

2 comments:

Rex Beanland said...

You're very brave Wendy.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Hi Rex, not sure brave is the right word. I must admit I was a bit nervous but once I got into my groove I was okay and soon enjoying myself. I think the key for enjoyment is to ‘be prepared ‘. And I noted in my previous blog how I prepared for it.