Oct 25, 2018

Why Graphite? Painting and Drawing Tips

Things started off very simply ...
In a way you might say I was silently, systematically seduced . . .     

"Happy Mother's Day" my family said.  They presented me with a Beginner Drawing Kit: sketchbook, pencils, eraser and a 'How To' drawing book.  I was a bit surprised and yet not.  I had mentioned to my husband that I wanted to try drawing.  He had marched off to Opus, our local Art Store, and after lengthy discussions with the staff, picked out supplies for me.


SPECIAL MOMENTS - 16 X 20, Graphite $550 Matted - Black and White has its own Secret Attraction

I was thrilled.  
I dove into that book and read it cover to cover.  Many times.  I tried some of the exercises.  I read some more.  I tried some of the activities.  I read some more.  I scoured the library for more books.  I tried some more.

I struggled.
Things weren't happening like the books said.  I wanted to continue but didn't know where to go.  I finally got enough nerve to take a one day drawing class.  It gave me tons of encouragement and new things to try.

THE SNOW CAPPED CAFE - 16 x 20 - $500 Matted - 

Then I went to a graphite artist show . .
His name was Harrison, he drew trains.  Not really my thing. But I loved his drawings. I loved the texture he got with his paper.  It wasn't paper at all. He used rising museum board as his base.  I loved it!

WISHFUL THINKING - 11 x 14 - $225 Unframed - I love the Contrast of texture, the rough edges on the branch and smooth fluffy hair on my cat.  

That was my turning point . . .
Using White Rising Museum Board, which is really a 2 ply mat board, I could achieve my goals.  It was rough enough to have a tooth so the texture I craved was easy to achieve.  But at the same time it was sturdy enough to take the punishment of a blender.  Life was good.

Why black and white . . .
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy colour but ..... there is something about black and white that really draws my eye.  I googled it to see why people love black and white.  It said it has a sense of 'timelessness' to it.  It does. But I am not sure that's what draws me.  I only know the texture and the gray tones really speak to me.  My birds and animals come alive when I work with it.



A FRIENDSHIP MOMENT - 16 X 20 - $500 - Whether it is rough strokes or smoke blending people & animals are alive

Is Graphite my only medium? . . .
My regular readers know I do other things.  Yes, I love graphite and its soft touch to paper but sometimes I just want a crisp line. Then I use my ink.  No surprise here, my favourite pens have black ink.  And of course, sometimes I like colour; then my watercolours are out in full force.

How do I decide what to use?
It depends on my mood and the subject.  The crisp linear shapes of poppies calls to my ink pens.  Combining with watercolour they are a treat. Animals will always call to my pencils, the soft touch with a blender means their fun will always will always be fluffy. I have do dabble in watercolour with my birds and animals and I find all my lessons in Graphite really help to make my birds more alive.    So, no there is no easy way to describe 'how I decide' what to use.

What are your thoughts?  Is graphite a 'real' medium for Fine Art for you or is it used for a sketch to help develop a painting?

Next post: Get Great Texture with Graphite

Using Graphite is on my mind right now as I prepare for my upcoming talk at the Surrey Arts Center, on Thursday evening, Nov. 1.   Join me.

Nov 1, 7:30-9 pm.  The Secrets of Graphite - Thursday Night Art Talks with Wendy Mould AFCA, CDM.  Surrey Art Center, 13750 88 Ave, Surrey.
Learn how to make magic with pencil - Artists have been doing this since 1564.

Opportunities Coming Up: 

  Thursday, Nov 22-Saturday, Nov 24

Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC
Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby

Workshop Day: Tuesday,  Nov 20

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class


1-3pm Christmas Card Making Class

$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome
Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 

Artists reading this post also find the following valuable:
3 Ways to Turn Drawing Despair into Action here
Drawing a Seagull Part 1 and Part 2 Starting here
Using Edges to Make Soft and Fluffy Birds & Animals Part 1 and Part 2 Starting here 

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: