Oct 4, 2018

What's in a Name? - Painting & Drawing Tips

"Pacific Harbour Seal: Sunbathing"
The name came instantly to mind.  I love it!

PACIFIC HARBOUR SEAL: SUNBATHING - Matted 8 x 10 $130 on Etsy 

Have you struggled with naming your pictures?  Paced back and forth in the studio, asked your friends, searched the internet waiting for that illusive name to 'come to you'.  Or worst, resorted to calling it Sea Shore #37.

I have been there. . . .

Finished my picture, bubbling with excitement, ready to share it with the world.  Photographed it,  then ready set up the file to Save.  I can't. I don't have a name. Darn. What. Can. I.  Do.

A name is so important. . . .

It connects me with my work.  It is like a mini Artist Statement, expressing my thoughts.  Telling the world what I was feeling and wanting to express.  And from a financial point of view, having no name for my work, means I am missing out with an important Marketing Tool.  Now, if all that doesn't put pressure on you in the naming process . . .!!??

My solution. . .

I find it easier now to name my pictures and be really pleased with the results.  I have returned to my roots. My over riding Focus for my work: My goal is to bring the Secrets of Nature into your life.

For me it is about wildlife and nature.  I want my viewer to feel they have been out on hike or by the water and suddenly encountered an eagle soaring overhead, an owl resting in the darken forest, or a seal basking in the sun.  To me it is a special moment to meet nature face to face.  One I treasure.  I want my viewers to feel that as well when they see my work.  I want to bring 'the secrets of Nature into their life.'

OYSTER CATCHERS ON THE SHORE - matted 8 x 10. $130 on Etsy
(Part of At the Water's Edge Series)

When I focus on my goals my names come quickly.  They reflect my goal. My newest series At the Water's Edge, was born while camping on Texada.  (See the story of its birth here)  As each piece was completed, the names flowed.  They reflected my respect for the wildlife, and their place/reason for being on the water.  Painting what I feel is important, fills me with a wealth of ideas.


FOLLOWING THE LINE - Part of my Constructive Organics Series

 Another example of how this has worked for me, is an earlier series, Constructive Organic.  It relates real birds and animals with the concept of an environment that is part organic, part mechanical.  My names for the pieces in this series all reflected both of those elements.  For the name Following the Line,  the organic element is the action 'following' with the hard metallic element is implied with the sharpness of the words 'the line'.  (Read more about this series here)

As an Aside . . .
IS THE SNOW GONE - Matted 11 x 14 $225

The Marketing Relationship with picture names was made quite clear to me with my picture "Is the Snow Gone".  Any pet lover can sympathize with little Mojo as he looks out the door to see ALL THAT SNOW.  No way is he going out there!! When I show this piece it immediately catches the eye of animal lovers.  Pet stories follow and talk often leads to Pet Portraits, my specialty. The viewer's connection to me and my art is almost instant.
 (When it poured this morning and Max didn't want to go, I was thinking I could have called this picture "Has the Rain Stopped" and it would still have told the same story. )

Is naming your pictures a problem for you?  What is your solution for the 'hard ones'?

Wendy's Work is always available on her website:  "Art by Wendy" & at her Etsy Store: WendyMouldsArt


Opportunities Coming Up: 

1.  Nov 1, 7:30-9 pm,
The Secrets of Graphite - Thursday Night Art Talks
with Wendy Mould AFCA, CDM.  Surrey Art Center, 13750 88 Ave, Surrey.
Learn how to make magic with pencil - Artists have been doing this since 1564.

2.  Wednesday, Nov 21-Saturday, Nov 24. 
Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC
Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby

Workshop Day: Tuesday,  Nov 20
10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class

1-3pm Christmas Card Making Class
$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome
Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 

Artists reading this post also find the following valuable: 
How to find the Right Sketchbook Friend - here
Is Your Sketchbook Ready for You? - here
Have You Felt the Freedom of the Line? - here

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: