Nov 19, 2020

How to Write an Artist Statement - What the heck are you doing??? - Painting & Drawing Tips

AWESOME OPPORTUNITY!!! 
We would like you to be our featured artist for our newsletter next month. Please send 2 pictures and 250 words about you and your art.   

PEPPER - WIP Commission Piece - 16 x 20 Graphite Drawing 


But now wait a minute . . . .

What pictures should I send?  What should I say?  OMG!!  (Read, breaking out in cold sweat)

Do you feel like that?  
You start writing.  You have only 40 words or suddenly 500. You are feeling so happy to have the opportunity and yet overwhelmed by what to write.  I use to feel this way.  I would agonize over what to write.  Doubting myself.  Editing forever.  But I have found ways to deal with it. Now I proceed with more confidence.  (Although I still edit like crazy and fuss a bit). 

What is an Artist Statement/Biography?
I find these terms are usually blended and mixed.  Unless you are making a formal application for a major project/grant/residency they are usually looking for information about you and your work.  It is your option to include a bit of your Artist Journey(Biography) on the way.  It really depends on the length.  If they want 25 words, few sentences or 50 words - stick to the important stuff.  Your work.  Once you get into 200 words or more you can expand on a bit of your Artist Journey.  

Remember this is a Marketing Opportunity. . . .
Here I go again, right.  Talking about Marketing. I know as an artist it is annoying to worry about marketing rather than creating, but paint isn't cheap.  Before you start to write, think about who is going to read it.  Why are they going to read it?  What do you want them to take away?  What do you want them to do when they are finished?  Now picture one of those readers, now known as THE READER.  Talk to him, tell him what you want him to know about your work.

  
Painting Outdoors is an important part of my creative process, whether in camp or on the trail. 


What Should be in your Artist Statement/Biography
Of course everyone's is different, it does need to reflect you and your personality.  But there is a lot of commonality as well.  If you are going to talk to THE READER, then you first need to answer some hard questions. Please remember this is not written in stone.  Your ideas and direction can change.  This is about the here and now.  

1.  What do you do?  - What do you really like to paint/draw?  Never mind the mediums, what really gets your heart pumping and fingers twitching.  Clouds? Figures? Colours? Textures? Shapes?  
Myself, I like to work with nature.  I use to feel that my nature always needed to have a bird or something in it.  I still do but I do like to focus on leaves, trees, even mossy rocks too.  

2.  Why do you like to do it?  - What really draws you to create?  I really enjoy: the peace, the challenge, the texture, the sleek line of ink, the blends of watercolour, the magic of the creative process, the soft touch of pencil, the breeze on my face.  It is an innate need within me.  It has always been there. The mediums have changed but the desire hasn't.  

EARLY SNOWFALL - Newest Piece to my Deep in the Forest Series
 Matted 14 x 11 $225


3.  Do you have a message/passion/mission?  - I find I like to think of it as a mission.  I want to connect people with nature and wildlife but in a certain way.  I want them to feel like they are in the wild.  I want my animals real, their environment can be loose but they are real.  I love to walk in a forest and 'catch an animal'.  I was thrilled to see 3 young barred owls on my walk this spring.  How do you feel about your work?  What do you want THE READER to take away from your work? How do you want him to feel?  What is your message to him. 

These are hard questions but if you answer them you have the basis for your Statement.  Spend some time here.  Map it.  Write things down.  This is your fodder for those statements.  Keep a folder and add to it.  Keep copies of your statements to refer to and build on.

When the opportunity comes to be that featured Artist, you will be ready!! With Confidence. 

Further Reading: 
5 Keys for Creating a Virtual Art Talk - includes a 12 minute video, an expanded Artist Statement
Staging a Virtual Art Show - includes a 3 minute video, an Introductory Artist Statement


Exciting News!! 
CASCADING - from my Deep in the Forest Series has been accepted in the 2020 Signature Medal Exhibition, Federation of Canadian Artist Gallery, Van. BC.   Nov 30 - Dec 13, 2020


Christmas Show Happening Now Online!!

HOLIDAY SPECIAL - 15% on all sales
FREE SHIPPING IN CANADA TIL DEC 15

Lots of One-of-a-Kind items, original art, art prints, art cards, jewelry, pottery, painted scarves, and more. Anything that inspires an artist to create.  
Get your Christmas Shopping Done and Shipped Free 

Art by Wendy Original Work, Art Cards & Prints, Memo Pads and Doodle Cards will be available   
Do you have big/small projects on the go?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion.  We meet on Zoom for our sessions and discuss your work. I am a sounding board and coach with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to working with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: