Nov 12, 2020

5 Key Tips for Creating a Virtual Art Talk - Painting & Drawing Tips

OMG!! I have to do an Art Talk as a 15 minute Video!

It was suppose to be a live event!  Now, of course, it is Virtual.  Not just Virtual but Live Streaming on Facebook.  Are you ready for something like that? 

CASCADING - Part of my newest series 'Deep in the Forest' - Pen Art in Action 

Deep Breathe.  Don’t panic.  You can do this.

 Well that is my mantra.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. 

Last year, when the world was a different place, I was asked to give an Art Talk on my Art.   I had really started to do a lot more work with my pens and decided to focus the Talk on my Pen Art.  An In-Person talk is doable.  I know you might think otherwise but you would be surprised.  If your work is in front of you it is easy to tell the inspiration stories and talk about the process.  Then People ask a few questions and before you know it, your time is up.

Now suddenly it is taking that information, talking about it, and creating a video with it.  A video that will be thoughtful and interesting for viewers to watch.  For 12-15 minutes.  A daunting task. 

Welcome to the new reality. . . . 

Virtual. Online. Streaming. Podcasts.  All the new parts of marketing for Artists.  The learning curve is back with a vengeance.

As many of you know, I have been working on making videos since Covid started.  It has proved to be a good time to ‘learn a new skill’.  It has been interesting, fun and an amazing road of discovery.  I urge you to start down the road. 

Working with Ink & Watercolour on location

My Art talk was Nov 5, 2020.    It was hosted by SAGA (Surrey Art Gallery Association).  It is now on Facebook where you can see the whole presentation including the Q & A. @SurreyArtgGalleryAssociation  Or see the video on YouTube: Chuck Your Brushes & Grab a Pen. 

I am learning stuff all the time on this road and thought you would like a few ideas. 
Here are 5 Key Tips to get your journey underway.

1.     Get the IMovie App:  There is more to doing an Art Talk video than making stories on Instagram.  To prepare an Art Talk you need to do editing: joining videos clips; voice overs; chopping things out; integrating still pictures with videos; titling slides .....  Don’t panic.  You can do all this and more with IMovie and it is free for IPads, Mac’s, IPhones.  (No, I don’t get a commission for suggesting it.) Get the App and watch a few tutorials.  You will be amazed at what you can do. It is very user friendly.  

Tripod, phone clamp and remote - Get one that is light weight, folds up and allows phone to tilt and turn in a full circle.  They are very inexpensive

2.    Get a Tripod: You can not always be holding your phone/camera to take the pictures.  You shake too much.  12-15 minutes of a shaking video is not going to show your work off well.  Amazon has lots of lightweight tripods with a clamp for your phone.  Some offer a remote too.  Get the remote.  It is very handy. 

Outdoor Sketching at Tynehead Park - It is makes for a more interesting talk if you have clips showing your process at different locations/and times. 

3.    Take little clips:  As you work on a project, take little video clips of the process.  Regular speed and Time Lapse.  Close ups. Stepping Back. A bit of variety is great.  I had several months warning so I took clips from a variety of locations. 

4.    Prepare a Script: For a 1 or 2 minute video you can wing it.  But to entertain someone for longer you need some plans.  Your script does not need to be word for word script that you read, it can be notes as to ideas, key phrases and directions you want to go.  Voice overs are easy to do.  Don’t feel you have to record the ‘whole’ video at once.  I did mine in sections and found it was more interesting to have my voice changing with each section.  I can’t take credit for thinking of that, it just happened.  I worked on different sections at different times so my voice just ended up being different. 

5.    Buy some ICloud Storage: As soon as you start taking all these video clips you are going to run into storage problems on your phone.  A 12-15 minutes video is 1.5 - 2 G and all those little clips you took add up to way more.  I like having ICloud Storage as I can use ICloud to easily move things back and forth between my IPad and computer.  I also have separate drives on my computer to store all those clips for future productions.  One problem with IMovie is it does not work on a PC and there is really no reasonably priced, user friendly alternative for a PC. So all my editing is done on my IPad and then final storage is on my computer. 

Have a look at my Art Talk “Chuck Your Brushesand Grab a Pen”.  Find out why I turned to Pen Art, the struggles and joys in my journey, some of the crazy directions it took me to, and where it is at now.  At the same time, check out some of the tips I have been talking about. 

If after watching my video, you decide you DON’T want to do a Virtual Art Talk you might decide to pick up a pen and try some pen art.  It's all good. 

You might also like: Staging a Virtual Art Show 
You will find more of my videos on Youtube - Search Wendy Mould

Christmas Show coming SATURDAY 
Heart to Home - A Holiday Market
is Coming to You Online
Nov 15 - Dec 15

HOLIDAY SPECIAL - 15% on all sales
FREE SHIPPING IN CANADA TIL DEC 15

Lots of One-of-a-Kind items, original art, art prints, art cards, jewelry, pottery, painted scarves, and more. Anything that inspires an artist to create.  
Get your Christmas Shopping Done and Shipped Free 

Art by Wendy Original Work, Art Cards & Prints, Memo Pads and Doodle Cards will be available   
Do you have big/small projects on the go?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion.  We meet on Zoom for our sessions and discuss your work. I am a sounding board and coach with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to working with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: