Nov 26, 2020

Looking to BUILD Confidence and Skill in Drawing - Painting & Drawing Tips

Are you hesitant when you go to draw?

Do you find yourself doing sketchy, broken lines rather than clean swooping stroke? 
Do you have to do everything in pencil first before committing to ink or paint?  
Does your confidence sag when youre faced with drawing something?

Creating Christmas Cards: Fun. Skill builder.  Confidence Booster. Best of All "Friends Dazzeler".  


Well doesn
t have to be that way. . . .
Of course everyone will
 tell you, just practice.  Thats the problem, it is hard to practice when your Inner voice is screaming at you.  I know.  I have been there.  I am a self taught artist.  I know how hard it is to draw something when you are constantly criticizing yourself because it looks AWFUL.  Well, I can tell you, me and my inner voice always agreed on that!!

I found practice was way easier if I was doing something interesting and I felt it was successful.  It made me want to try more. Do more.  

I know we are trapped at home right now but this is a perfect time to try something new.  I guarantee this will perk you up, build confidence in your drawing skills and totally dazzle your family and friends.  

Make your own Christmas Cards . . . .

These are not just any Christmas Cards, these are cards to help with your drawing.  I have lots of things to ensure your success.  See my video DIY Awesome Christmas Cards for  ideas, examples, and more.  

 Materials: 

1.Permanent Fine Tip Pens- Micron or Staedler Size 03 & 05.  This allows you to colour with felts, watercolour, and other wet media without ink running.  They also come in a variety of colours. 

Micron and Staedler pigment pens are permanent so won't run if you add a wet media.  They come in different sizes and colours.   

2.  Cardstock/Watercolour Paper for Cards: I use cardstock if colouring with dry media otherwise I get Strathmore Watercolour Cards.  They are creased, cut to size and have matching envelopes.  They come in packs of 10, 25 or 50.  A scrapbooking store has great cardstock in lots of colours and different size envelopes if you want only a small number. Art Stores & Amazon will carry the Strathmore Cards.  

These come in mixed media as well.  

3.  Pencil, putty eraser, vinyl eraser, and colouring materials. Coloured pencils, watercolour pencils, felts or watercolours.  Both Watercolour Cards and Mixed Media Card papers will work for your wet mediums.  Don't forget a few glitter bits from the Dollar Store.  They are even self sticking!!

This card gives me a Happy feeling - The red strip on the side just adds extra pazazz (See my video to learn about this)

4. Inspiration - Christmas Card Activity Sheet - this a FREE Activity Sheet to get you started.  I have mixed candles, poinsettias, holly and doodle patterns to make my cards.  You are welcome to download it and get drawing.  I am sure once you create a few cards you will be inspired to try other things.  

My FREE Christmas Card Activity Sheet is full of ideas to get you started.  

Things to think about as you draw:

1.  Work towards drawing freehand.  I know at first you will want to do pencil first and then ink.  No problem.  But as you work stretch yourself by leaving more and more of the detail to freehand drawing.  

Being aware of your working space makes for better compositions

2. Frame your space. You will be working with your card flat.  It is important to understand your space so use a coloured sheet to block out the back of the card.  

3.  Try a few doodle patterns.  Doodle patterns are made from small parts that work together to make a pattern.  Drawing them freehand goes a long way to build confidence.  Try scallops on edges, little open circles, simple three petal flowers.  They can be powerful in perking up an empty space.  I live the power of a simple line or dot.  

4.  Sign them.  Be sure and own your work.  Add a signature.  I have my own Doodle Signature for my Doodle work and another for my other work. 

Get more information on my video: DIY Awesome Christmas Cards  and be sure and download the FREE Christmas Card Activity Sheet .  Now get ready to have some fun!  


Christmas Shopping Online with FREE Shipping in Canada!!

HOLIDAY SPECIAL - 15% on all sales
FREE SHIPPING IN CANADA TIL DEC 15

Lots of One-of-a-Kind items, original art, art prints, art cards, jewelry, pottery, painted scarves, and more. Anything that inspires an artist to create.  
Get your Christmas Shopping Done and Shipped Free 

Art by Wendy Original Work, Art Cards & Prints, Memo Pads and Doodle Cards will be available   

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion.  We meet on Zoom for our sessions and discuss your work. I am a sounding board and coach with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to working with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: