Aug 20, 2020

Staging a Virtual Art Show - Painting & Drawing Tips

Times have changed
Opportunities are different.
Virtual instead of Real is now the Way of Things

OMG!  I was offered the chance to have my own Virtual Art Show. 

Wild n Free - Link to Virtual Introduction on Youtube
Click for 
Introduction to "Wild n Free" 


I know we have all been part of some kind of online Gallery Show at some time or other.  One picture among a large group.  But this was a full show, 24 pictures. 

How to stage a Virtual Art Show.  There are no rule books to follow, it is really new ground.  Unfortunately/or fortunately, it is one that will be around for awhile yet.  I thought as I set up for my show I would share some thoughts. Somethings are universal but others a groundbreaking. 


Staging my first Virtual Show

 1.  No matter what, you need a theme/purpose for your show. I am a wildlife artist and I wanted my show to showcase my work. Some is quite traditional wildlife work while others is more experimental: I decided to call my my show "Wild n Free", playing off those two ideas.  

Wendy Mould_Perched on a Barrel_Ink & Watercolour mounted on Wood Block_7 x 5_$115
PERCHED ON A BARREL - $115 - Ink & Watercolour mounted on Wood Block, 7 x 5 inches

2.  Drafting an Artist Statement  for my show is standard. But this is where I felt quite lost.  Yes, I could write my statement and put it out there.  However, this did not give me a chance to really express myself.  My work is more than a tightly written paragraph or two.  I wanted the opportunity to be physically part of the show and express my feelings.  Really engage and connect with my viewers.  I decided to do a video Introduction to the show which introduced me and my work and acted as an artist statement as well.  You can see the Introduction here: Wendy Mould - Wild n Free. 

Wendy Mould: SHORT EARED OWL ON THE PROWL - $650 - Graphite, Framed 20 x 16
SHORT EARED OWL ON THE PROWL - $650 - Graphite, Framed 20 x 16

3.  Advertising the show is a major requirement. But the advertisement has to be internet based in order to include the link to the show.  It needs to be in way to encourage 'the click'.  To follow the link.  I have used several methods: blogging about the event, as I am doing in this blog; sending out a e-newsletter to my network; posting it on local online event calendar boards; posting on Facebook and Instagram. 

4.  Developing activities related to the event is something else I would normally do.  Give a talk, reception, do a demo would be some of the things I did before.  However, they are not applicable now.  This is where you want to think outside the box.  Going Live on Facebook or Instagram for a 10 minute Talk/Show Intro would be neat.  Especially if you were a small group.  Talking about your art and the art show with a small group and taking questions after would be cool event. Ahh. . .  makes you think eh?!    It isn't something I will do this time but will certainly look into it for the future.

I do have a second interactive item.  There is a 3-D piece of art for my show, a Book Art Piece called "Ducks on the Water".  It too has its own video to show it off.  See Ducks on the Water Video here.  

Book Art: Ducks on the Water - See Wendy Mould Youtube
Book Art: Ducks on the Water - $300 Mixed Media 

5. Taking good pictures of each of my pieces is also very important.  Pictures don't have to be framed for the show but good picture files are a must.  Each picture file must be labeled and tagged with all the important information.  
VARIED THRUSH DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS - $400 - Ink & Watercolour mounted on Wood Block 16 x 9 inches

All is not Rosy, there are a few problems with a Virtual Art Show to be aware of:

1.  You are not setting up the show, a computer tech with the gallery is doing that.  So you need to send detailed, easy to follow information to be sure your show goes up correctly.

2.  You might have ideas how your work should be set up but it will depend on the restrictions of the software that is used for the gallery.  Some galleries have very sophisticated software that allows for many interesting permutations while others is very restrictive. This will determine the order and placement of pieces.

3. Scheduling is depended on the computer technician.  There is no point sending your viewers to a site that is not yet up and running.  


Definitely Virtual Art Shows are here to stay.  Getting the most out of the exposure is really up to you.  This is my first and I really scrambled to make it happen.  As my computer skills increase I am sure I will think of other things to try.  

Have you been involved with a Virtual Art Show?  Any thoughts on things to do?  I would love to hear them.  This is really uncharted waters for all Artists.  


Outdoor Sketching Classes !! 

Ready to go out and do some sketching?  Have fun painting and sketching while learning new tips and techniques. Capture a moment in time without worrying about the World and the crazy problems of today.  Come Join me for a session or two.  Beginner to Advanced are welcome.

Class Size: max. 3.   Rescheduling for Bad weather.  Covid  Rules and Social Distancing will be followed.  
Sessions 2.5 hours, in local North Surrey Parks, Tuesdays 10-12:30 or Set up Special Times for yourself and a friend or two

Cost: $45 tx incld

August Dates: Tuesday, August 18 - 2 Spots;  Tuesday, August 25 FULL:  Time:  10-12:30:pm

Save a Spot Now. Contact Wendy    More information: artbywendy.com 


 Do you have big/small projects on the go?  
Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques. You and your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.   
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF
 
Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  

No comments: