Oct 24, 2019

The Why and What of ART BATTLES - Painting & Drawing Tips



12 Artists.  20 Minutes.  A few markers, a pencil, piece of  charcoal and a few pieces of Conte.

Why on earth would any Artist go into Battle with just that!!
Wendy in the Heat of Battle

We’ll definitely if I had a choice I would have taken more materials with me.  And for sure arranged for more time.  But for this Art Battle - a Sketch Off - that was it. 

Why did I do it?  . . .  The event was put on by our local Art Associations at the Surrey Art Center and I like to support them.  But for many this might be over the top as support.  I felt I would go ahead because it was bonus for me as well.   

Confidence
Confidence?!  I am sure you could have  thought of a 100 other things that I could have done to build my confidence as an artist.  But I just felt it was time.  It really made me step out of my box and announce “I Am An Artist”.  It was an important step for me and one I felt I wanted to try.  I have seen several of my artist friends go into an Art Battle and I felt I could do that too. 

Fiona Tang's work from Heat 1

Practice
No, this was not my first Battle.  I have tried two others.  Each time I participate I have learned valuable skills: how to think on your feet; how to shut out distraction;  how to relax under pressure.  And each time I have entered, I have felt a bit more confident and able to do more.  Competing in a Community Battle, no matter how small gives that practice.  Who knows, some day you might have a chance to go in a BIG One.  And you will be ready.

PJ Patten, another contestant, hard at work

Exposure
Art Battles are another way to get yourself out there.  They generally do lots of advertisement ahead of time promoting the event and the artists.  They certainly support and promote you while you compete and afterwards usually promote your art from the event.  Ok, I know, it is not your best work.  But don’t worry.  Everyone, including yourself, will cut you some slack.  They don’t expect it to look like a studio piece you have laboured over for days.  It is just neat to see you up there, creating something, with unfamiliar materials in such a short time. 

Tom Godin, 2nd Place, this was one of his drawings

Challenge
 Ok. This is really a challenge.  And one you may not want to take on.  I wanted to try.  I first tried in my studio to see if I could in fact, draw anything in 20 minutes that was decent.  I was surprised.  I didn’t realize I could.  So then, I thought, why not.  Really, there is nothing to lose. 

My drawing for the 1st Heat
Heron by the Shore - Ink & Graphite Sold

Fun
I know, you think I have a warped sense of Fun.  But really, it is pretty neat to be in the limelight.  Spotlights are on you.  People come up and tell you how wonderful you are.  (Believe me, that Feels Awesome).  Everyone makes you feel so wonderful.  As you’re busy drawing, they are praising your work.  It is a moment of being a star.  What could be more fun then that. 

Working on my picture for the Championship Round - Bald Eagle with his Salmon

But to go into Battle you need to not only think of the Why’s but the What’s. . .

What are you going to Paint/Draw????.......

Now that is a quandary.  Believe me, I had discussions with myself and others for ideas.  In the end, I felt I had to be true to myself.  I needed to draw wildlife.  I want to be known as a wildlife artist so it follows, that is what I needed to draw.  This is also follows in the Why of It.  If I am doing it for exposure, than I want viewers to see what I am known for.

Bald Eagle with his Salmon - Ink & Graphite -  My drawing for the Championship Round (Thanks CJ for this picture)

More What's to consider . . . .

What would you DRAW?? Here is some of the other Entries.  (I do apologize I do not have all the artists names. I thought I had them all but  . . . )

What are your goals and what will you do to prepare for the Art Battle. My goals were simple.  I wanted to draw good pictures of my heron and eagle.  I wanted to enjoy myself and not waste my time being nervous.  I felt I achieved both of those goals.  When it is a People's Choice activity, it is important not to be concerned about whether you win or not.  At these events people will vote for their friends first, and I respect that.  All the artists work is good and all need to be recognized for getting up in front of people and drawing.  Their friends are their supporters and they should vote for them.  

As to preparation, there is lots you can do there.  See my post for my last Battle, Art Battle Here I Come  to see how I prepared.  I hope it gives you some ideas.  The other side of practicing has a big personal benefit for you.  Practicing to draw your subject, in my case practicing my Heron was great.  I really got to know my subject better and I know next summer when I am painting at the beach, it will be easier to capture that heron on my paper.  Check out my post Do you know Your Subject, this is a 3 part series I did on the benefits of working in series.  

Yes, I WON - First Place.  As you can tell, I was and still am THRILLED!! (Thanks CJ for capturing this moment) 

A Special Thanks to Melissa Burgher and Joanne Dennis for all their work in putting this event together.  Also a  Special Thanks to CJ, one of my awesome supporters, she took some awesome pictures and shared them with me.  She even took a short video which I will share on Instagram.   And Super Special Thanks to my daughter, Cathy, who came and took LOTS of pictures of the whole Event. 

Have you been in an Art Battle?  Have any advice? Suggestions?  How did you decide what to draw? 

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?
Join me in November and December to Make Christmas Cards using Doodles and Candles.  See info below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓


Get Ready for Christmas!! with a Fun Way to Improve your Drawing Skills
This year's theme is Candles, Holly and Poinsettias - Samples of things you can do with them

Christmas Card Classes 
Saturday, Nov 16, 10-12pm. Art by Wendy's Studio, North Surrey
Wednesday, Dec 4, 1-3pm. Gardenworks at Mandeville, South Burnaby
Treat your Friends to a Special Christmas Greeting
All supplies Incld $40      Contact Wendy

OR

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy




No comments: