Oct 17, 2019

Have you tried your hand at Tangles? Painting & Drawing Tips

October is Inktober!!
Every artist that loves his ink pens knows that.  It is a time to get the ink flowing and marks flying across the page. Well, actually any time is a good time to draw but October is the month to celebrate it.  Artists that love their Tangles have their own way to celebrate their ink work.  They have . . .

Inktober Tanges 2019

My Inktober Tangles Collage - WIP

Yes, I am one of those crazy people that is drawn to the tangles.  What are tangles?  They are patterns that are created through drawing a sequence of lines and/or dots.  Often called Zentangles.  Since that is a trademark name, the name "Tangles" is used instead.  

Not too late to start. . .
I know the month is half over but really, who has time to draw something every day.  You can still get started.  Just do a few patterns each day and you will soon catch up.  Here is the official list of the patterns for Inktober Tangles 2019 plus links to each pattern. Many like myself do collages putting as many of the month's patterns on one page.  (BTW I am only on #11)

With the Inktober Tangles lists comes new ideas. . .
The 'tangle a day' for this month has already proved very interesting. Although many on the list I am familiar with it is always neat to learn new ones.  And to see how others use them and decorate them. (Note the presence on Facebook and Instagram)  Here are two that are now new favourites: Toodles and Lola.  But I must admit, the googly eyes in TunnelVizion really peeked my interest too.  (Bottom left corner of collage)  


Both Lola and Toodles have basic shapes but can be enhanced with shading and little extra marks

What do I get out of Tangling . . . 

1. Well of course, Enjoyment.  The feeling of a sharp line curving and winding on a crisp white background.  Yes, I have found I am driven to the curvy patterns more than the sharp corners of the angular ones. 

2.  Confidence.  Winging it with my Pen: Working with tangles without pencil guides really gives me confidence.  I have a better understanding how one stray mark 'doesn't wreck things'.  In fact, if I don't like a mark, I have many ideas how to change it to something else within my pattern.  (Actually if you count how many steps go into a tangle, you will quickly go to shortcuts.  Which of course means not a lot of pencil guides.) 

3.  Understanding.  Tangles are patterns.  Seeing a group of tangles and figuring out how to construct them helps in all my other painting and drawing tasks.  Determining the pattern in trees, feathers, hair are just some of the places I use it. 

4.  Inspiration.  I have taken my tangles and patterns into my other art.  Combining my Wildlife with my tangles was challenging but fun.  I really enjoy the new story they tell.  


FOLLOWING THE LINE - 13 x 19 $340 Matted Unframed
Can't you just see that eagle winding his way through the tall trees?
And another: 
HOME ON THE WATER - 8 x 10 Sold
Aren't those just the neatest rocks?!
And of course my first and still one of my favourites

TANGLED ADVENTURES - 8 x 10 Sold
Even my husband thought this was a great picture!!
Finished my Inktober Tangles 2019 Collage in early November - Coming soon on November 21 Blog Post. 


Are you using your pen to make your mark?  A fun way to start is with Doodles and Cards.  Join me in November and December to Make Christmas Cards using Doodles and Candles.  See info below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓



Special Note:
Sketch Off - This Saturday, Oct 19, 6-9 pm  Surrey Art Center

Yes, back by Popular Demand *** An Art Battle ***

This time it is sketching, 20 minutes to draw something on a 11 x 14 paper.  There will be 12 artists, 3 heats then a final Championship Round.  Yes, I have thrown my hat into the ring.  I have an idea for my drawing but I need a second one - I am hoping to make it into the second round.
Come Out and support your favourite drawing.  All winners are chosen by people's choice.
See you there!!

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓


Get Ready for Christmas!! with a Fun Way to Improve your Drawing Skills
This year's theme is Candles, Holly and Poinsettias - Samples of things you can do with them

Christmas Card Classes 
Saturday, Nov 16, 10-12pm. Art by Wendy's Studio, North Surrey
Wednesday, Dec 4, 1-3pm. Gardenworks at Mandeville, South Burnaby
Treat your Friends to a Special Christmas Greeting
All supplies Incld $40      Contact Wendy

OR

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 

FYI
I am scheduled for a Demo at Opus this fall: 

 Drawing: Values, Light & Shadows Saturday, Oct 19, 11-12:30 or 2-3:30 Free 
Contact Langley Opus to Register  604.533.0601


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy



No comments: