Oct 31, 2019

OMG! You have to Plan FIRST!! Painting & Drawing Tips

Don't you just want to Fling Paint?

You know, grab a brush, drop it in paint and "Go For It".  It seems so loose and free.  Sounds wonderful.  


Unfortunately it is not the Real World.  

A few of my picture from my sighting of the Ring-necked Pheasants

Planning needs to happen.  I don't mean happy mistakes aren't possible. And yes you can throw all the paint around you want.  But at some point, you will step back.  You will study what happened and you will plan your next move.  For some this happens very early in the process of creation.  For others it may not happen till near the end. Instinct will keep you moving.  But isn't that just planning on your feet.  

I like to paint and draw wildlife. I definitely find that requires planning.  Especially at the beginning. I find the more planning and decision making I make at the beginning the better I am able to relax and go with the flow once I get working - the Loose and Free stage. 

So what do I do? 
 Find my reference Material
I wanted to paint a picture of the Ring-necked Pheasant.  I saw some in the fall and got great pictures when I was out at Riefel Bird Sanctuary last year.  The idea has been percolating in my head ever since.

Once I gather together a group of pictures I study them for a ideas as to what I can do.  Unfortunately, birds and animals do not pose in interesting ways and in good lighting for me.  I usually end up taking ideas from 3 or 4 pictures and putting them together.  I picked the side view of the pheasant in the top picture and the front view of the two together in the second picture.   

I went for a walk in our local park with Max looking for a bit more to include in the foreground.  I felt 'just grass' for such a large area might be pushing it.  I may suggest a few dead leaves and in the background I would like to suggest a few branches and foliage. 

This sketch is only about 2 x 4 inches.  It doesn't need to be large but it does need to be in the same proportion as your painting.  

Next I turned to a few No-tan Sketches to test my layouts.  Here is the one I liked.  When I make the sketch I try and make it the same proportions as the original will be.  I look at what is happening in my picture on each side of center.  I also divide the length and width into thirds to see what is happening at those intersecting points.  

Now it is time to put my birds on the paper.  I like to use transfer paper to place my drawings.  That way I can "test" my layout without any erasing.  (See The Tears Free way to Transfer your Image

I liked the feel of this layout.  It looks like an interesting arrangement and interesting shapes. 

Just about ready to paint but first . . .
I need to decide how I would paint it.  What order I wanted to do things.  I decided that I wanted to try some molding paste to break up the large grassy shape in the foreground and the dark background.  Also I wanted to be sure to save the heads of the birds and a few strong lines so I put frisket on them.  This allows me to be free and easy with the background/foreground colours and still preserve my important lines.  I know, you are wondering if I will ever get to be Loose and Free with my paint. 

   
Birds with molding paste on the foreground and background and birds with a bit of frisket.  
Ok!!!While waiting for the molding paste to dry I can mix my paints. Finally,  I am Ready to Fling Paint!!  See you in my next post.  

This is the paste I used. It depends on how thick you put it on as to how long it takes to dry. 
For More on Planning Your Composition See: 

Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?
Join me in November and December to Make Christmas Cards using Doodles and Candles.  See info below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Contact Me to Register ↓↓↓↓


Get Ready for Christmas!! with a Fun Way to Improve your Drawing Skills
This year's theme is Candles, Holly and Poinsettias - Samples of things you can do with them

Christmas Card Classes 
Saturday, Nov 16, 10-12pm. Art by Wendy's Studio, North Surrey
Wednesday, Dec 4, 1-3pm. Gardenworks at Mandeville, South Burnaby
Treat your Friends to a Special Christmas Greeting
All supplies Incld $40      Contact Wendy

OR

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy




No comments: