Feb 21, 2019

Step-by-Step Glazing with Watercolour - Painting & Drawing Tips

READY TO TAKE THE PLUNGE!!

When you jump off the cliff into the cool waters below, it is a leap of faith.  Well, for sure it is the first time.  But after that . . . well now, you know how much fun it is.  So now you are running up the trail, ready to JUMP again. . . .    Super Fun.

That's how glazing feels for me. . . .


JUNCOS AT THE FEEDER - 8 x 10 watercolour on board $200

I love the subtle ways I can alter colour and value in my painting.  I love the way I can take a dark and have it thin.. soften .. disappear.   I think this must come from all my graphite work.  I love the way I can sculpture a shape with values to make it appear 3 dimensional. I know, don't get me started.  I did say I love the effect. (see last post on the What's and Why's of Glazing)

Ready to Jump In? . . . .

Here's how to Glaze from Dark to Light or also called the Blended Edge

Things to think about as you work:
1. Is your brush damp, dry or dripping wet.  I know, this is a constant for watercolourist.  I work with a paper towel in my other hand so I can always dab my brush to control the water.
2. Pigment and water runs from the wettest area to the drier area
3. Watercolour dries lighter then it looks when wet
4. Colours below must be dry before adding a layer on top
5.  Working over an area too much (fiddling) will cause the colours below to mix and you could end up with mud.  Remember, like that cliff, you jump, your Done.  Can't stop in mid air.  But . . There is always a next time.

Bend your knees, get ready to jump . . .
For the feeder post in 'Juncos at the Feeder' I want sharp edges and soft edges with my colour.  The pipe of the feeder has a dark shadow on the right side (my sharp edge).  But that shadow gets lighter as is approaches the light.  This will be my soften edge.

With a soft wet brush I apply the dark paint to the dark side of the post

Step 1 - I applied a dark wet layer of paint onto a dry layer of paint along the edge of the post.  Not too dark as I want the colour and line work underneath to show when done.

Remember, Work Quickly before your paint dries. 

Step 2  - Working VERY quickly, I'm talking quick here.. I wash my brush, dab it on my towel and touch it too the EDGE of the paint I just put down.   This must be done quickly or the paint you put down will be dry and the pigment will not move.  Your brush must be wet enough to cause the pigment to flow away from the darker area. So damp but drier than the wet paint you just put down.   If it is wetter than the painted area, the water will run into your painted area and create a backwash.  Not a pretty site and hard to fix.

New stroke goes to the edge of  your stroke in Step 2 

Step 3 - Working VERY quickly I wash my brush, dab it on my towel and touch it too the EDGE of the stroke I put down in Step 2. Yes, this is a repetition of Step 2 but starting further left, that Step 2.   Notice my brush is now a full stroke AWAY from the painted area.  For Success, Your brush must be wet enough to cause the pigment to flow away from the darker area.  Even though you are further away from the fresh painted area - If your brush is wetter than the painted area the water will run into your painted area and create a backwash.  Not a pretty site and hard to fix.

Step 4 - Quickly repeat Step 3 several more times.  Each time moving FURTHER AWAY from the dark area. Always starting at the EDGE of the last stroke.  Repeat until you are no longer drawing pigment from the darker area or in my case at the edge of the post.

Note how dry it is and how soft the blended edge is

 Once my brush stroke is running clear, I do one more stroke.  Then stop and let things dry.  If you are still drawing pigment with your stroke and you stop, the pigment dries at that edge and leaves a line. It's there for life.  With colour underneath you do not have the luxury of lifting that pigment because any scrubbing you do will lift the colours underneath.

Note how light the finished wash ended up. Way to light.   I am not concerned, I will put on several more layers when it is dries.  But I do want to see how my colour is working.  I need to decide how much value I want it to have while still letting my line work show. So I will slowly sneak up to the Value I want by glazing layer after layer.

JUNCOS AT THE FEEDER - Side View 

Final Notes: 
Go back now and look at the final picture.  You can see many places in the picture where I have used this technique - feathers on the birds, the snow shadows, the bent pipe.  The glazing on the birds might have been only 1 or 2 layers but the post and cup were more. 

Remember it is always easier to darken with another layer but like that cliff jump - once you jump, you are done!  Work up those values gradually rather than slamming them with a dark.  Be Patient. Just like the Jump - enjoy the free flying into the air, the sudden dip into the water and the excitement of scooting back up for another jump.  The Process is yours to enjoy.

 Of course, it goes without saying, practice, practice practice - getting the water right, catching just the edge and doing it in one stroke, takes practice.  But the results are worth it.

Have fun with this.  It is such a wonderful stroke you will find yourself using it everywhere in your painting when you want that dark to light, hard to soft spot.

One more post on glazing coming up - getting that all around soft edge when you glaze.  See you next week.


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

SAVE THE DATE
March 8-10 - The West Fine Art Show - Spring Edition
Friday, March 8, 7-9pm, Saturday March 9, 11-7pm, Sunday March 10, 11-5pm
Yorkson Creek Middle School,

20686 84 Ave, Langley     www.westart.ca
In support of the Langley School District Youth Homelessness Initiatives

It is very exciting to be part of this show, an awesome collection of some of the fine artists in Western Canada.  Our art focuses on life on the west coast but . . . oh so many different ways of seeing it.  Of course, you know I will be there with my birds and animals.  Lots of new things to share with you.  See you there. 

Artists reading this post also find the following valuable:

Is Your Sketchbook Ready for You?

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: