Apr 1, 2012

EARLY MORNING HUNT - Short Eared Owl

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY
EARLY MORNING HUNT  12 x 16 Available

My owl is finished and ready to show. This little short eared owl has been a very interesting project for me.  The background is a mixture of layers on top of some light washes as I wanted it not too busy but still give the feeling of depth and open fields.  I wanted that warm glow of the early sun on everything and of course my love of detail comes through in the foreground.  Let me just say I didn't do all those feathers in one go!!

I am thinking of varnishing this little guy and framing him without glass.  I have a few samples underway and I will post them over the next few days.  If you have experience or thoughts on watercolours framed without glass I would love to hear them. 

8 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Wendy, your owl is absolutely stunning!!! Beautifully done!

Carol Andre' said...

Beautiful piece. Love what you've done with the bg. It does have depth and warmth. Can't help you much with the varnish thing, altho I prefer everything varnished/no glass. But I don't do wc. Have done cp's (new to that also.) I am just spray varnishing them, no glass also. I do it slowly in layers.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Love this Wendy! The detail is perfect against the simple background.

I frame my varnished acrylic miniatures that are on illustration board under glass, but paintings on panels I varnish and frame without glass. I don't work in watercolor, but have seen many frame them with varnish, no glass.

Brenda Hill CDM said...

A handsome bird and I love the background, well done Wendy!

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful picture Wendy,

Unknown said...

Beautiful piece Wendy. Love the BG as well. Your Owl looks so regal and I just love those burnt orange tones in the painting.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you Kathylne.
That is good to know you are using varnish Carol, I was even thinking of doing a sample piece with my graphite.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Barbara, Brenda and Gillian, thank you for your support.
Yes, Dors I must admit I love those oranges as well. Believe it or not I used 4 different colours to achieve that effect!!