Jul 19, 2022

Do You Have a Bucket List? Painting & Drawing Tips

What’s on that list?  Traveling to exotic places?
 Trying a new activity? Learning a new skill? 

The Cove at Ruckle Park, Salt Spring Island - 8 x 10 Matted Watercolour $190

I do a lot of teaching and I find students wanting to take lessons come in groups: ‘want to learn how to draw”; ‘always wanted to learn how to paint”; and others who ‘want to sketch and journal their travels”. 

I am in the ‘sketcher and journal group’. 

Maybe you are too. . .

I am a Sketcher & Journaler - My pages vary from full page paintings to small pictures and writing of various amounts. 

NB.  My Youtube Version "Is Outdoor Sketching on Your Bucket List?  

I have a variety of sketchbooks that I have used to document trips to Europe and Asia, camping in the northern Canada and canoeing and portaging in Northern BC.  I find that each of those books have cemented memories into my heart.  It makes sense.  In order to complete a sketch, it means I have spent at least 20-30 minutes working on site and often more time finishing it up in the evening.  

Really, can you ask for a nicer spot to paint?! - boats go by, birds drop in and even a seal popped up to say hi.  

Now don’t get me wrong, my sketches aren’t all great . . .

Especially  my early work. I must at admit, you can be very critical with yourself when you start out. And of course you will have ones you love.  And hate.  But, they are all filled with memories.  Good or bad they bring that moment alive in your mind.  They are also a document of your skill development.  I look back and feel good when I see how far I have come. 

In my sketching journey I have found a few a few Universal Truths

1.     Pack light - it is surprising how quickly your pack fills up.  Along with art supplies you need, drinks, snacks, a seat/pad, hat, . . . .  See what I mean.  The list can really grow quickly depending on where you are going.

My Setup.  A Treat to have a table to work on  

2.    Work Small - it takes time to fill a page.  Something close to 5 x 8 inches is a big enough page to fill.  Even at that you might want to do more than 1 or 2 smaller pictures on the page. Anything bigger and you have to think about Truth #1. I work a bit bigger only if I know I will have time to finish. 

3.   Don’t Make Eye Contact - well you can if you want, but if you do, people will stop and talk.  You wont get much done.  I tend to keep my head down and work and make eye contact when I am ready for a break.

Working on an 8 x 10 Arches, fits nicely on my board with my paints

4.    Let Go of Perfection -  This is your sketchbook with your thoughts/sketches for you to enjoy.  Experiment.  Enjoy the flow. 

5.    Focus on the Subject first - forget about all the studio things you do.  Start with your subject then branch out if time.  Light changes.  Boats sail away.  Rain falls.   

Not time to finish but can come back tomorrow or finish in the evening.

 I hope you get to your Bucket List and if Outdoor Sketching is on it, I hope you get started soon.  I have written many blog posts that would help.  Use ‘Outdoor Sketching’ as a search on my blog or Google YouTube - Wendy Mould Outdoor Sketching.  

Each summer I run Outdoor Sketching Classes for Beginners to Advance. Contact me to join in.  If you don't live in the Fraser Valley, check out your community,  I am sure you will find some there as well.

NB.  My Youtube Version "Is Outdoor Sketching on Your Bucket List?  

Outdoor Sketching Classes - On Now!!

Outdoor Sketching Classes are 2.5 hr sessions and located in parks in North Surrey and North Langley.  Beginners to Advanced are Welcome.  Mediums supported: watercolour, pen, pencil, watercolour pencils and coloured pencils.  You can sign up to as many sessions as you like.  Class Size: Max 3.  $50 per session.  

Class Dates: 
July 7 & 28: 10-12:30pm
Aug 4 & 25: 10-12:30pm
Sept 1: 10-12:30pm 

Arrangements made for inclement weather.  
You are welcome to contact me for help in organizing your supplies for an Outing.  

 I am available for booking special outings for you and 1-2 of your friends. 

Gift Certificates are Available     Contact Wendy to register 

Up-Coming Outdoor Sketching Events:

Aug 6 - Art Jam at the Farm - 2 Workshops, Coffee, Snacks & Lunch $100.  My Workshop is 
"Capture that Special Moment: Outdoor Sketching with Wendy Mould" Hosted by Fort Langley Art Gallery. 

Aug 20 & 21 - Kilby En Plein Air Weekend - $20 - ( 2 day site fee & Sunday Elevenses) - Kilby Historic Site, Harrison Mills.  Register: kpickering@kilby.ca  See you there!!

 Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

Contact Me for:

1. Private Drawing Lesson: (3 Sessions 2.5 hr each $250)  North Langley, BC (Walnut Grove) 
Do you want your animals to breath, your flowers to sparkle or your people to walk?  Whatever subject your like to paint or draw I can build a drawing program for you.  Private Lessons allow you to focus on the skills you wish to develop.  Wendy is a experienced teacher, providing a calm, relaxing experience as you learn how to use the principles of drawing.  Beginner to Advanced are welcome.  Special rates for younger students.  Contact Wendy for More info

2.  Online: Teaching, Mentoring or Critiquing Your Work - Don't live in the Fraser Valley,  I would be happy to tailor a program just for you online.  Drawing and Painting Lessons, Mentoring you on your Art Journey or Critiquing Your Work with an Eye to Move It Forward.  Drawing & Painting Lessons: 2-30 sessions $75.  Mentoring or Critiquing 30 minutes sessions $25.  Flexible schedule and sessions can be longer or shorter depending on your goals. 

3.  Available at Art by Wendy's Studio
Original work, Commissions, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: