Jun 22, 2022

Artist, do you Look without Seeing ANYTHING??? Painting & Drawing Tips

I love the flowers in our Neighbourhood.  
Many of my neighbours have lovely flowers, from Spring to Fall.  They really add a special sparkle to my walks.  

Some times it is just nice to Draw Flowers - Wild Roses 

But I realize now, I didn't really SEE THEM!! . . . 

As my regular reader are aware, one of my more recent blogs was "Why Collage Fodder is good for Watercolour Painters".  I talked about making collage fodder out of mushrooms.  It was a wonderful time for me.  I really enjoyed drawing and painting all different kinds of mushrooms. 

Which then led me to look at other fodder . . . .

Which led me to flowers. . .

You know what it is like when you start traveling down a trail on the internet.  But the flowers really excited me and I decided I wanted to make my own library of flowers. 

That's when I found out how blind I was  . . .

Lilies in a Garden 

Don't get me wrong.  I know my nature.  Well trees anyway.  Bark. Shrubs. Berry bushes. Ferns.  Moss. Even Mushrooms.  

(BTW you are welcome to join me for an Outdoor Sketching Class to sharpen your drawing and visual skills.  I take small groups out throughout the summer.  See more information at bottom of this post. ↓↓↓↓) 

But when it came to flowers I didn't know anything.  Even my favourite ones.  What, you wonder, do I mean.  I didn't know the number of petals. Petal Shapes. The centers, were they flat, large, small, sunken, did they have stamens.  Nothing.  

Picking a few flowers to draw has way more information than a photo 

Things are different now. . . .

Poor Max thinks I am a slacker, as I pause on our walks to check out flowers to add to my book.  Take a sample.  Snap a picture.  There seems to be a whole world out there I was missing.  

It is nice to see them from different angles

My focus is the drawing.  For most a basic circle starts me off.  Then focus on the ratio of center size to the whole flower.  Next fit the correct number of petals inside the circle.  

The Flowers come alive with shading and details


After that, I try to make the flower face different ways.  Moving the center around inside the circle helps.  
Started to play with little designs - Chamomile 

Once the shapes are good it times to add a few shadows and other details.  

These Poppies invited me to play with a bit of design. 

Before you know it - You're playing with design. Mixing flowers together.  Adding little extras.  Feeling pretty good. 
I bought a little book, 5.5 x 8, with thinner paper than I usually use so wouldn't be tempted to paint.  I just wanted to enjoy my ink work. And I am.  

My eyes are open now.  I am really seeing those flowers. . . .  
Walks are still little slow, as there are sooooooo many to see.  

Who knows, maybe you will get into 'the flower' mode too.  If you need some help, check out my classes below.  
  

Outdoor Sketching Classes - On Now!!

Outdoor Sketching Classes are 2.5 hr sessions and located in parks in North Surrey and North Langley.  Beginners to Advanced are Welcome.  Mediums supported: watercolour, pen, pencil, watercolour pencils and coloured pencils.  You can sign up to as many sessions as you like.  Class Size: Max 3.  $50 per session.  

Class Dates: 
July 7 & 28: 10-12:30pm
Aug 4 & 25: 10-12:30pm
Sept 1: 10-12:30pm 

Arrangements made for inclement weather.  
You are welcome to contact me for help in organizing your supplies for an Outing.  

 I am available for booking special outings for you and 1-2 of your friends. 

Gift Certificates are Available

Contact Wendy to register 

 Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

Contact Me for:

1. Private Drawing Lesson: (3 Sessions 2.5 hr each $250)  North Langley, BC (Walnut Grove) 
Do you want your animals to breath, your flowers to sparkle or your people to walk?  Whatever subject your like to paint or draw I can build a drawing program for you.  Private Lessons allow you to focus on the skills you wish to develop.  Wendy is a experienced teacher, providing a calm, relaxing experience as you learn how to use the principles of drawing.  Beginner to Advanced are welcome.  Special rates for younger students.  Contact Wendy for More info

2.  Online: Teaching, Mentoring or Critiquing Your Work - Don't live in the Fraser Valley,  I would be happy to tailor a program just for you online.  Drawing and Painting Lessons, Mentoring you on your Art Journey or Critiquing Your Work with an Eye to Move It Forward.  Drawing & Painting Lessons: 2-30 sessions $75.  Mentoring or Critiquing 30 minutes sessions $25.  Flexible schedule and sessions can be longer or shorter depending on your goals. 

3.  Available at Art by Wendy's Studio
Original work, Commissions, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: