Apr 29, 2021

Start Your Outdoor Sketch with Confidence - Sketch Booking - Painting & Drawing Tips

Do your Outdoor Sketching Trips fall flat?  
I know the feeling.  
I love sketching outdoors but it does have its challenges. 

I was camping on Texada Island last summer and met my Artist Friends for a day of Outdoor Sketching. Not being familiar with sketching spots I listened to the discussion and agreed on their decision.  We met at a little pull off on the side of the road and headed into the bush. Very shortly we were out on the rocks. 

North End of Texada Island - Awesome view, Awesome Day to Sketch!!

It was stunning: beautiful blue sky, snow covered mountains in the distance, deep blue water, sailboats out in the water (you can't see them in this picture but there were a few), and an awesome rocky coastline with lots of interesting vegetation.  

I panicked!

I was overwhelmed.  What could I possibly work on.  Everything was overwhelming.  You know the feeling.  

My calming voice took control.

Do the most important first; find a place to set up.  This is important.  It was 30 degrees, the sun was beating down and for sure I was going to be there for a few hours.  I needed a shady spot to set up.  There was a tree with a bit of a flat area behind me so off I went. 

Step 1: find a place to set up.  (I started in the shade but after a few hours I was out in the sun.  Note everything is covered up.  Even my feet. )

Once you are set up take a good look around.  In my case, every angle was an awesome view.  A feast for the eyes. But hold it, my inner voice said, "WHAT REALLY CATCHES YOUR EYE?"

Is there a shadow or shape that draws you.  Are you loving the grand vista?  Me, I am a Zoomer.  I like to zoom in on some part of the vista and draw that.  In this case the tree along shore from me caught my eye.  

(A video version of this post is in the Arts Council of Surrey's Instruction Series - Start Your OUTDOOR Sketch with Confidence.  You can also access my reference picture as a free PDF download and draw along with me.  Little Tree on the Rocks Reference. )


Loved the rocks. Loved the curl of the tree trunk. Loved the contrast of the sharp lines of the rock against the curvy lines of the tree and roots. 


I had my subject and I was ready to start. . .

Starting with a light pencil sketch I drew the tree and then began to branch out.  


Step 2: Start with the most important section - what caught your eye.  
This is quite different from your usual studio work.  But very important in the field: light changes, birds fly away, boats move, and your companions want to go.  Your time is up. 

As I drew I added more detail to the tree and the rocks, always moving out from my main area of interest. 

This is also a more practical reason to start with your focal area.  It is overwhelming to be out in nature, there is no photograph to box in your drawing and keep you to a certain area.  If you start at your interest point and move out you will quickly find all the things you wanted to put into your picture will not fit.  It helps to bring you back to what is really important and draw just that. 

Drawing completed and now I am starting to add paint.  I could have stopped with the drawing but I like to add watercolour to my drawings. 

I start with a light pencil sketch placing the tree and the rocks.  No detail.  This gives me the scale of things and lets me see where it fits on the paper.  I then move to my pen.  (This is my choice, you can certainly stay with your pencil if you like.)  As you can see, once I decided on the size of my tree, it affects how much of the surrounding rocks I can include in my drawing.  It is often far less than you originally envisioned. 

Starting to finish up but need to take a good look at the shadows.  I also decided that branch on the side needed to be painted to add depth. 
Final drawing: 
After a lunch break and things are dry I sat back and took a final check of my picture.  Of course the shadows were all different now.  This is when I focus on the planes of my rocks and trees and try and place the shadows.  (Tip: photograph your focal point before you start so you can check back at the shadows when you need too.)  Once I have done what I can, I check my photo to see how I did.  (Just one of my own personal challenges to teach myself more about shadows)

Little Tree on the Rocks (Texada Island) 
FYI:
I know my rocks are not exactly the right colour, but I do like to infuse my own feelings in my painting.  I was really pleased and excited with my work and my colour choice reflects that.  

Special Note:
I have a video version of this post in the Arts Council of Surrey's Instruction Series - Start Your OUTDOOR Sketch with Confidence.  You can also access my reference picture as a free PDF download and draw along with me.  Little Tree on the Rocks Reference.  

Other Posts of Interest:
5 Tips to Get You Ready for Outdoor Sketching : includes video and downloadable PDF
3 Ways to Mix Watercolour on Paper : Step by step diagram and video examples. 


OUTDOOR SKETCHING SEASON  Coming up Fast!!

Starting Wednesday, May 12: 10am - 12:30pm 

Twice a week, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, I will take small groups out for Outdoor Sketching.  Get Tips and Techniques for Sketching in Nature.  Beginners to Advanced Welcome. Max. 3 per class. (Other times available upon request) 

Mediums supported: pencil, pen, watercolour, watercolour pencils and coloured pencils 
Location: Parks in North Surrey and Langley
Cost: $50 per session

Supplies: Bring your own supplies, don't hesitate to contact me about your supplies
Rainy Days: Not fun to plein air in the rain.  You can defer to another available day or join me in my studio and work with me. (when Covid rules allow small inside gatherings) 

Contact Wendy to Book Your Spot!! 

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion based on your goals.  I am a sounding board, coach and teacher,  with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to Zooming with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy




No comments: