Apr 8, 2021

5 Tips to get you Ready for OUTDOOR Sketching

Spring has Sprung

Sketchbook Practice - My favourite subjects, rocky creek bed with mossy rocks and ferns


Well here on the West Coast of Canada we are deep into Spring: daffodils, and crocuses are blooming; trees are greening up and birds are chittering everywhere.  We even have a Northern Flicker that has decided to tap on our chimney to call his mate!! 

Time to get Organized for Outdoor Sketching!!

Now don't get too excited, I didn't say go out and sketch.  It is still not quite warm enough for that here, although getting very close.  I am talking about getting organized. I find being prepared makes any activity more fun.  

5 Tips to get you Ready for Outdoor Sketching 

To get you ready I looked at some of the things I do to get fired up for Outdoor Sketching.  I have also prepared a video version of this blog "5 Tips to Get You OUTDOOR Sketching" with a reference picture if you would like to follow along with me in the video.  (Reference Picture Here)

My kit is small but has everything I need to work in ink and watercolour (Learn more about my kit Here)


1.  Test Run Your Kit:
This to me is a must.  It seems in the winter I use my travel kit and 'steal' from it.  The first day on the road is usually when I discover that.  Not so good.  
But actually using your kit in the studio helps you make sure everything is there.  Over the winter you may have a few new techniques, materials or paints that you want to include.  Also, there may be things you no longer want to pack.  A light, packed kit means you are ready to go at a moments notice.  

You can see what's in my pack in my post "Getting Ready for Outdoor Sketching"

I have tinkered a lot with my palette but right now I am happy with this combination. 


2.  Work with a Limited Palette:
When you are out in the field, life happens quickly.  Light changes, birds fly away, partners want to move on.  Having a large complicated palette can really slow you down.  My sketching trips are out in nature, in places I like to hike.  So my palette reflects the kind of colours I will need for that environment.  If you have two very diverse areas you like to sketch in, consider having a different palette for each of them. 
 
Rather than do tiny rocks, I filled the page.  Suddenly they look very interesting. 


3.  Work Big:
My sketchbook is approx. 7 x 10 inches.  Big enough to comfortably fit my hand for working but not so large it takes forever to fill a page.  Working big I find is more fulfilling.  I can include the detail I like, I can use bigger brushes and my page fills up quickly.  It feels very rewarding. 
Note the rocks above.  Working big allows me to include the little plants that really add interest to the rocks.  

A Rocky Creek Bed - My Favourite Subject - But so much is happening here.  


4.  Zoom In:
This may be a personal preference of mine.  Rather than paint the grand vista, try zooming in and focusing on a mini-environment.  
Note my Rocky Creek Bed, certainly a favourite spot for me on one of my walks.  But rather than capture the whole scene I like to zoom in.  

That mossy rock is really the story for me, so that's what I zoomed in on.  There are of course many more ways to zoom in on this scene.  

You can download a good copy of this reference picture for your own practice here.  

Mixing your colours right on the page is fast.  It also makes for exciting colour punches. 


5.  Mix your colours on the page: 
This is a great time saver when you are out in the field.  Rather then preparing puddles of colours you can just jump in and paint.  I think this adds a real spark to my field work.  Working quickly I am dropping colour and not fussing.  (Fussing seems to be so easy in the studio but does not keep that liveliness in my work) 
If this is something new to you, it is certainly another reason to practice a bit before heading out.  

As you can probably tell, Outdoor Sketching is a real passion for me. 

You can paint along with me with my Video "5 Tips to get you Ready for OUTDOOR Sketching" and get your copy of the Reference Picture here.  I would love to see your work when your done. 

Next post: Mixing Your Colours on Your Paper 

OUTDOOR SKETCHING SEASON  Coming up Fast!!

Starting Wednesday, May 12: 10am - 12:30pm 

Twice a week, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, I will take small groups out for Outdoor Sketching.  Get Tips and Techniques for Sketching in Nature.  Beginners to Advanced Welcome. Max. 3 per class.

Mediums supported: pencil, pen, watercolour, watercolour pencils and coloured pencils 
Location: Parks in North Surrey and Langley
Cost: $50 per session

Supplies: Bring your own supplies, don't hesitate to contact me about your supplies
Rainy Days: Not fun to plein air in the rain.  You can defer to another available day or join me in my studio and work on a Test Run with me. (when Covid rules allow small inside gatherings) 

Contact Wendy to Book Your Spot!! 

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion based on your goals.  I am a sounding board, coach and teacher,  with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to Zooming with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: