Oct 29, 2020

Art, MOOD and Emotion - Where are they in your work? - Painting & Drawing Tips

IT'S A COLD, DREARY WINTER DAY here on the west coast of BC,
but there is a flash of red still in the garden,
 my husband's hummingbird feeder.  
All winter long he will keep it full and ready.  Because the Anna Hummingbirds stay for the winter but they need help.  Especially on a cold, dreary winter day.  

PICK OF THE HERD - Matted 12 x 16 $650 - The soft muted grays evoke feelings of peace, serenity, stillness. The coolness of a winter day. They contrast with the warmth of the reds.  A sense of happiness prevails.
 
An interesting idea for a painting - the cold grays with an air of sadness, depressing, many have said.  But then that spot of red hanging from the branch and that tiny little spot of green buzzing around it.  Suddenly there is a feeling of hope.  

What makes a viewer feel Emotion when viewing a painting? . . .

I know, many things, you say. I agree. My discussions on light, values and shadows in the last two posts has lead me to take a longer look at ambient light.  Lighting and ambient light create drama and depth in a painting but also Mood.  I felt I needed to look into this as well, in my discussion.  

If you watch TV, you see mood and colour in action all the time.  Marketing people know that warm, rosy, lively colours will lure us into spending.  Muted greyed colours will hardly even catch our eye.  

PETUNIAS & HUMMINGBIRD -  Matted 11 x 14 $225 - The reds give a sense of excitement and movement.  Warmth and contentment.


Do you think about the mood of your paintings? . . .

You control the mood of your paintings and therefore affect the way your viewers respond to it.  Have you ever looked at your work and thought about the mood you like to project?  Does your work reflect a consistent mood or does it vary?  

Common Emotional Responses to colours:

Yellow - sunlight, warming, happiness, comfort; too bright can be irritating and prolonged exposure has a tiring effect
Orange - light, warming, happiness, comfort
Red - fire, heat, excitement, danger, passion; paired with white background can add an element of grace
Purple - darkness, intrigue, night, uneasiness, even mystical
Blue - water, ice, coolness, calmness, but it also can edge towards sadness
Green - nature, calming, quietness, tranquility and vibrancy; paired with yellow it can have a lasting impact


TRICKLING WATER - Matted 12 x 16 $650 - The greens and blues instill a sense of calmness while the oranges and reds bring warmth.  The soft purples a sense of mystery and fantasy  


Emotional response is not just about colour . . .
Its true colour can set the mood and evoke an emotion.  But other things in your painting can also affect the mood.  Bold sharp lines can mean anger.  Bright, pure colours can be loud and unsettling.  Soft circles and edges can create a pleasing more gentle mood.  

TRICKLING WATER - using photoshop to push the colours to blues.  Note the cool, aloofness feeling to the picture now.  


But for the moment I want to look at colour  . .

Here are some of the things I noted in my study:
a.  Colour and mood goes beyond just the idea of using warm or cold colours
b.  The viewers emotional response to the colours in a painting can cause them to come back again and again or turn them off.

  
Pumpkins on the Shelf:  All the warm colours make this a cherry picture but I feel there is still a coolness to it which I think is from the soft greens.  Not sure, what do you think give it a cool touch?

c.  The quantity of each colour affects the mood.  Warm colours give warmth and excitement to a picture but in excess can be agitating. 

Pumpkins in a Pile:  The blue shadows against the white of the pumpkins gives a cold, spooky feel to these pumpkins even though there are some warm colours in the mix.  

d. Dark colours create a sense of dread.
e.  A bit of greying out of colour moves the mood to quietness but greater intensity of gray moves to  somberness and discomfort. 

TRICKLING WATER - Again using Photoshop to push the colours for warmth. Too much of a push to warm colours is not always pleasing. 

I find my journey into Colour, Mood and Emotion has given me a great deal of food for thought.  I look at my work and think more about the mood I have created.  One thing I have noted about myself is I always like to have a touch of warmth in my work.  These seem to be important to me.  What do you like?  


Streaming Live on Facebook: SAGA Surrey Art Gallery Association 

Chuck Your Brushes and Pick Up a Pen!! 

SAGA Thursday Night Artist Talk with Wendy Mould - November 5, 7:30pm 

Can you imagine that drawing with a permanent black ink pen can be FUN!! In this Art Talk I will share with you the joy of pen Art. I hope to stretch your imagination as I demonstrate its vrsatility. You will see how the magic of sharp, black lines demand your attention. While other marks subtly speak to you in soft gentle tones.

This is an opportunity to talk with me about my artistic journey moving from pencil to pen and now with watercolor in the mix. I hope it will inspire you to be ready to grab a pen and start drawing before the evening is done.

THIS EVENT WILL BE A LIVE STREAMING ON FACE at SAGA Surrey Art Gallery Association account. There will be a video introduction and then an open chat where you can ask questions and get live answers. I look forward to sharing the evening with you.

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy  



No comments: