May 7, 2020

Make a No Sew Sketchbook - Painting and Drawing Tips

Have you ever imagined what it is like to climb a mountain?

DUCKS IN THE WATER - A DIY Sketchbook Project - Mixed Media $300
See full View Here 

Days/weeks of planning.  Finally Climb Day arrives.  Off you go.  Heavy pack pulling on your shoulders, hot, sweaty days. Cold, hard nights sleeping on the ground. Misty rain in the early morning. Sliding in the mud.  But always moving forward.  Moments of joy. Moments of despair.

Suddenly it is all over. . . .  your at the Top!

Then that Special Moment happens.  You look around and pose for a picture.  The one that says "You DID it!"

Whatever your special project, there is always that special moment when you give it that 'final touch'.  The one that says "This is Special, I DID it!"

Simple Supplies can really add that SPECIAL Touch

Today's blog is about that Special Finishing Touch. . . .

My project 'Ducks on the Water" was a big one.  No, not quite as big a deal as climbing a mountain but certainly had just as many ups and downs as that climb would have.  There were moments when I was intoxicated with success.  But there was also moments of  deep despair.  What am I doing? What should I do now? were my constant friends.  Now the main part is done.  (See last post for Ducks on the Water Project info)

But it doesn't yet say "I did it!". . . . 

To do that I want to finish it into a Sketchbook - An Accordion Book (a No Sew Sketchbook).  This make it special.  This makes me feel "I did it." When I look at it I am filled with joy.  My confidence rushes to the top of the mountain.
Thin Double sided tape works like magic but glue sticks work well too. 

How to make a No Sew Sketchbook:

1.  Gather Supplies:
Simple things can add that special touch.  2 heavy weight supports: mat board, backs of writing pads, even cereal boxes.  Cut them the same size as your paper. 
Glue Stick or double sided tape
Ribbon: plain, coloured or elastic.  (I used the thin elastic ribbon)
Scissors
Prepared Pictures for the Cover and Back

Monotype prints prepared for the front and back cover - approx. 4 x 4 (on mat board) 

2.  Prepare the cover and back
I decided to follow the flow of my book and used two more monotype prints for the front and back cover.  I then drew duck pictures and shore scenery on them.  I attached the front cover picture with my tape and did the title lettering. (see post Have you tried Monotypes? for more info)

3.  Assemble the book
Before attaching the back picture to the back cover I first fixed my elastic ribbon.   I cut my ribbon to a length that would go around my book (loosely) and knotted it. I then placed it on the good side of the back cover and taped it in place.  I placed it approx. 1.5 inches (4 cm) from the open side edge of the back cover.  I then covered it by taping the back picture on top of it.  This ribbon will now be able to loop around the front cover of my book and keep it closed when not in use.

Back Cover: Note how the elastic ribbon is buried under the picture and looped around the back. 

 If you used regular ribbon you would have two pieces placed under the picture so they could be brought around to the front and tied to keep the book closed. 

Now Attach the Back Cover to the back of the last picture using your glue/tape.
Attach the Front Cover to the back of the first picture in your book.  Fold pages into an accordion between the two covers. 


DUCKS ON THE WATER ($250) - Click to see a video view of the book.  

4.  ENJOY!!!

Next Week - COMPETITION TIME!! - Mixed Media Paint Off  
 Battle starts on May 10 and pictures complete and posted May 16.  A full report as I compete. Very excited to be part of this first ever Online Paint Off Competition. 

Outdoor Sketching Classes Starting Soon!! 
Yes, I will take 2 in a class for Outdoor Sketching starting as soon as the weather is more stable.  Covid  Rules and Social Distancing will be followed.  Sessions 2.5 hours, in local North Surrey Parks, Tuesdays 10-12;30 or Saturdays 10-12:30.  $45  Get on the Wait List Now. Contact Wendy 

WENDY MOULD IS ONLINE:  

I 'm Now offering Private Mentoring/Coaching ONLINE

Want to make pictures that sing?  Move your Art Career forward?  Get a handle on your art business?

Let's Talk

Imagine, your own personal coach, in discussion with YOUR images:  Discussing your goals; Ways to move your artwork forward.   Sessions: 30 minutes each

Package: 3 session: $75 + tx       Flexible Booking Schedule

Contact Wendy to book your session - Send me your pictures and let's Get to Work!

Get a Taste for Online Learning with my Blog & Video Combos: 


1.  Have you tried Monotypes?   - Blog post with video link on how to do Monotypes and ways to incorporate it into your art. 

2.  One Awesomemazonly Sketchbook Activity - Blog post with video link on a great Sketchbook Activity to inspire and challenge you.  

 (Be sure to like and comment while your are there. 🤗)



Great Opportunities for Fraser Valley Artists: 

Arts Council of Surrey 
 Artist Calls: 

Info@artscouncilofsurrey.ca for Entry Forms

1. Together  . . . apART - Juried Art Show hosted on Arts Council of Surrey Website. Digital Entry. Deadline May 15.  People's Choice Award.  Free to enter. See website info for information on Show  Theme

2. Arts 2020: Juried Show with Cash Prizes for 5 Different Categories.  Hosted by Arts Council of Surrey and Surrey Art Center.  Digital Entry.  Deadline: June 5.  Free to  Enter.  No Theme. 


When Life settles down: 

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 

Gift Certificates Available 

Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy


No comments: