May 21, 2020

Competition: More on the Mixed Media Paint Off- Painting and Drawing Tips

My Completed Entry: Little Friends on the Trail 

NO, I don't know how my entry placed.  It is all up to the judges now.  All I can say is I am glad I don't have to jury this competition.  It would be very hard.  (Not sure what the competition was about? See last entry - Mixed Media Paint Off


Little Friends on the Trail - 20 x 16,  Mixed Media $500 

If you would like to see all the entries they are now on Facebook - Surrey Art Gallery Association

Did you notice the background at the top left side of my picture??

I wanted to share this technique with you as it has many possibilities.  When I researched using some of the materials for this project I came across this texturing technique.  It seemed to have a big place in the abstract world but I think it can move over into main stream painting as well.  It is simple, effective and can certainly solve that big problem. . . 

Painting without the final background completed

What can be done with the background???. . .. 

How to finish the background is a continual question I am asked.  Talking about the "how to" painting of backgrounds are some of my most popular posts.  I know I often struggle with what to do with the background too.  When I saw this technique I just knew I had to try it on my picture.  

My Road to a "Pain Free" Background . . .

The solution - paint, water and saran wrapping.  I tried this with acrylic paint and watercolour paint.  It works well with either.  (I used watercolour for my painting as that colour was already in many parts of my painting)

Pouring puddles of paint onto the painting (Note there was some dry painted markings already there.)

Process: 
1.  Take a small cup and mix your paint with water so that it is very watery. Pour the paint on your canvas in puddles.  

Placing the saran wrap over the puddles and positioning the wrap to make interesting shapes and lines.  


2. Take the saran wrapping and place it over the paint, patting and bunching up the saran to form interesting patterns.  

Working one section at a time.  Note the area to the left already has saran wrap on it


3. Leave it to dry.  At least 16 hours or more. It definitely takes a long time.  The acrylic paint longer than the watercolour. Carefully lift off the saran wrap.  Voila.  A very interesting textured pattern. In my case, it makes a great impression of foilage and trees in the background without making it too dark.  

Things to think about as your work: 
- Watercolours dry lighter so you may want to make the mixture a little darker to start with.  Acrylics dry darker so you might want to make the colour a little lighter.
- Thinning acrylic with water gives a more matt look to the finished texture and thinning with medium will give it a shinier look
- Lines and colour can be put on the canvas first and this technique applied after the original lines and colour are very dry.  Too much fiddling can cause the under layers to activate and mix with the poured paint.  (Check out my completed picture.  You can see spots that were there before and some strokes that were added after)
- Lines and colour can be added over top of the textured surface.  However, once again, too much fiddling can cause the under layers to activate and mix with the poured paint. 

Give this little technique a try.  It really has lots of different possibilities.  

See you next week - Have you ever worked with a Visual Arts Mentor/Coach?? 

and hopefully we will hear from the judges by then!!

Outdoor Sketching Classes Starting Soon!! 
Yes, I will take 2 in a class for Outdoor Sketching starting as soon as the weather is more stable.  Covid  Rules and Social Distancing will be followed.  Sessions 2.5 hours, in local North Surrey Parks, Tuesdays 10-12;30 or Saturdays 10-12:30.  $45  Get on the Wait List Now. Contact Wendy 

WENDY MOULD IS ONLINE:  

I 'm Now offering Private Mentoring/Coaching ONLINE

Want to make pictures that sing?  Move your Art Career forward?  Get a handle on your art business?

Let's Talk

Imagine, your own personal coach, in discussion with YOUR images:  Discussing your goals; Ways to move your artwork forward.   Sessions: 30 minutes each

Package: 3 session: $75 + tx       Flexible Booking Schedule

Contact Wendy to book your session - Send me your pictures and let's Get to Work!

Get a Taste for Online Learning with my Blog & Video Combos: 


1.  Have you tried Monotypes?   - Blog post with video link on how to do Monotypes and ways to incorporate it into your art. 

2.  One Awesomemazonly Sketchbook Activity - Blog post with video link on a great Sketchbook Activity to inspire and challenge you.  

 (Be sure to like and comment while your are there. 🤗)

Great Opportunities for Artists: 

Arts Council of Surrey 
 Artist Calls: 

Info@artscouncilofsurrey.ca for Entry Forms

 Arts 2020: Juried Show with Cash Prizes for 5 Different Categories.  Hosted by Arts Council of Surrey and Surrey Art Center.  Digital Entry.  Deadline: June 5.  Free to  Enter.  No Theme. 


When Life settles down: 

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 

Gift Certificates Available 

Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: