May 14, 2020

Competition: Mixed Media Challenge - Painting and Drawing Tips

OMG!!      What have I done??!!
It seemed like a good idea, enter a Mixed Media Paint Off - 12 artists, a box of supplies, 7 days!! 
But what do I know about gold foil, tissue, collaging. . . .  


Wendy picking up her competition kit
Day 1: Picking up my Competition Package

Pretty exciting eh?  Especially when things are sooooo quiet at home right now.  The Paint Off began with all artists picking up 'their box' of supplies and a 16 x 20 canvas.  The job, use as much of the different mixed media materials in the box as possible to create a 'master piece' on the canvas in 7 days.  I could hardly wait to see 'what was in my box'

It was a bit like Christmas, opening the box and pulling out all the neat little containers of paints & mixes.  

Opening the Treasure Box . . . .
Ok, it really isn't a Treasure Box, but it seems like it.  All these new supplies for me to try out. 
 
One 16 x 20 Canvas
6 different Acrylic Soft Body Paints
Nepheline fine Gel
An Adhesive
Brushes
Metal foils, gold & silver
cheese cloth
rubber mat
Assorted colours of tissue paper and a few textured pieces
a box of watercolours
paint tray
An Opus apron  (yes, Opus Art Supplies was one of the sponsors)

WE were encouraged to use as many different things as possible, even the wrapping and the box itself were fair game.  

Next step - hit the Internet!!

I have never used metal foils, tissue paper or other things for collaging. I felt I needed a little encouragement.  After a few tutorials I felt much better and decided it was time to crack open the paints.  


Day 2: Taking paints for a test run and doing some collaging on the canvas

Day 2 - Test the materials
I read labels, opened containers and fiddled around.  I decided the best thing to do was pick up a brush and go for it.  I ripped up the textured paper and glued it to different places on the canvas.  Then I picked a few watercolours and let them flow.  It is amazing how much better you feel when that stark, white canvas is no longer staring at you.  Doesn't look like much to you but I was feeling very pleased with my start.  
Day 3 Already - Once my little squirrel made his appearance I knew I had a plan

Day 3 - Here Goes
After turning my canvas around and around I decided on this portrait face.  My next job was to see if I could get a little squirrel to perch in the corner and catch your eye. It was very reluctant to come out but after quite a bit of fiddling he made his appearance.  I was elated.  I knew what I wanted to paint and I was ready to roll.  

Day 4 - I am feeling flushed with success.  Things are really starting to work out.  Anxious to get back at it.  

Day 4 - Things are rolling along
Yes, I have reached that point of the painting where I think things are starting to hum.  I hated to stop.  'Just a minute', I kept saying whenever I was called.  But finally I had to wash up and get on with life.  I can hardly wait to get back at it.  

Sad news for you, my readers. 
I publish my blog on Thursdays each week.  My picture must be done by Saturday and I can not publish it before then.  I will have to leave you in suspense until next week post as to my finished picture.  Wish me luck.  See you next week.  

Outdoor Sketching Classes Starting Soon!! 
Yes, I will take 2 in a class for Outdoor Sketching starting as soon as the weather is more stable.  Covid  Rules and Social Distancing will be followed.  Sessions 2.5 hours, in local North Surrey Parks, Tuesdays 10-12;30 or Saturdays 10-12:30.  $45  Get on the Wait List Now. Contact Wendy 

WENDY MOULD IS ONLINE:  

I 'm Now offering Private Mentoring/Coaching ONLINE

Want to make pictures that sing?  Move your Art Career forward?  Get a handle on your art business?

Let's Talk

Imagine, your own personal coach, in discussion with YOUR images:  Discussing your goals; Ways to move your artwork forward.   Sessions: 30 minutes each

Package: 3 session: $75 + tx       Flexible Booking Schedule

Contact Wendy to book your session - Send me your pictures and let's Get to Work!

Get a Taste for Online Learning with my Blog & Video Combos: 


1.  Have you tried Monotypes?   - Blog post with video link on how to do Monotypes and ways to incorporate it into your art. 

2.  One Awesomemazonly Sketchbook Activity - Blog post with video link on a great Sketchbook Activity to inspire and challenge you.  

 (Be sure to like and comment while your are there. 🤗)


Great Opportunities for Fraser Valley Artists: 

Arts Council of Surrey 
 Artist Calls: 

Info@artscouncilofsurrey.ca for Entry Forms

1. Together  . . . apART - Juried Art Show hosted on Arts Council of Surrey Website. Digital Entry. Deadline May 15.  People's Choice Award.  Free to enter. See website info for information on Show  Theme

2. Arts 2020: Juried Show with Cash Prizes for 5 Different Categories.  Hosted by Arts Council of Surrey and Surrey Art Center.  Digital Entry.  Deadline: June 5.  Free to  Enter.  No Theme. 


When Life settles down: 

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 

Gift Certificates Available 

Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: