Apr 9, 2020

5 Things Drawing Bunnies Teaches YOU - Paint and Drawing Tips

Easter is Coming UP Fast.  Rabbits, Easter Eggs and CHOCOLATE are on my mind!!

WHAT makes a RABBIT? 


My days are busy with drawing and painting.  Not always fine art pieces but often a page in my Sketchbook.  As you know, I am an Avid Supporter of Sketchingbooking as a Way of Life. 

I just finished working on a session from Sketchbook Revival with picture book illustrator, Nina Rycroft on drawing a stuffed bunny.  Of course I had to move out from there to cartoon bunnies.  It really was fun.  One bunny led to another and soon I was making a little storyboard of bunnies.  As I worked I realized that those little bunnies had a lot to teach me.  (See last post for info on Sketchbook Revival here).  


5 Things the Bunnies Told ME:

1.  Attributes
What really makes a bunny?  When you look at a shape, what defines the 'bunniness' in it?  Big ears, fluffly tail, big back feet.  It isn't really that much.  But very important.  Any shape with those ears, feet and tail says bunny.  When you're painting a tree, what makes it a maple tree rather than a fir tree.  What in the shapes and patterns says maple tree. . . .  or a Rose rather than a Peony.  Asking that question is important to finding the essences of anything you draw or paint.

Bunny Construction - Using a Line of Action and then placing body parts, makes it much easier to Draw any Rabbit/Animal/Person

2. Movement
I turned my bunnies into people bunnies.  I made them run, jump and sit.  Suddenly I needed to know how a person runs, jumps, sits.  Where are their hands? How do their legs move? I realized I didn't really know. Now as I walk with Max, I am looking at head, arm and leg movements of animals and people.

3. Drawing
Here's where I really liked using that Line of Action.  Seeing the flow of the body and then matching up the body parts to the Line is my first step.  This gives me a framework to hang the clothes on.  Flesh out the arms and legs.  Finally add the embellishments - buttons, lace, hats.  Of course it is a people bunny.  But whether it is a person, animal or figure you need this information. 

HURRY, SCURRY TO THE PICNIC - Once I had the framework, dressing my bunny was easy. Adding Colour is DEFINITELY FUN!! 

4. Values
Adding colour to your bunnies means thinking of shapes and values.  Giving them mass and weight means visualizing the Shadows and Highlights.  Actually it is even more than just values.  It is also playing with your palette.  Trying different colours and seeing how they react with each other.  A great testing ground before hitting 'The Main Show'.

5. Confidence
After the first bunny things get easier and easier.  Soon I was tying my rabbits together with a bit of story.  Ideas were flowing.  Pen was scribbling.  Bunnies hopped onto the page.  It was joyful and fun.  Playful drawing builds confidence in your Mark Making.  It is motivating and inspiring.  All good things to keep you in an Artful Way.

EASTER PICNIC - As I said, once you start drawing these little guys little stories just come to mind.  (Ooops!! Sorry, didn't have time to paint them before posting but will get busy later and paint them.)
Happy Easter and have fun with your own RABBITS!!

Further Reading:
Putting Figures into your Painting - Using a Line of Action as a starting point to draw figures
Working with Flowers and a Line of Action - Using a Line of Action as a starting point for Drawing a poppy.
Do You like Chocolate Sundaes with a Cherry on Top - How to bind your own DIY Sketchbook from materials you have around your home.

So, Catch the Sketchbook Habit and Dive In.  Soon you will find there is "Just not enough hours to the day!!"

Happy Sketchbooking and see you next week.

WENDY MOULD IS ONLINE:  

I 'm Now offering Private Mentoring/Coaching ONLINE

Want to make pictures that sing?  Move your Art Career forward?  Get a handle on your art business?

Let's Talk

Imagine, your own personal coach, in discussion with YOUR images:  Discussing your goals; Ways to move your artwork forward.   Sessions: 30 minutes each

Package: 3 session: $75 + tx       Flexible Booking Schedule

Contact Wendy to book your session - Send me your pictures and let's Get to Work!

Get a Taste for Online Learning with my Blog & Video Combos: 


1.  Have you tried Monotypes?   - Blog post with video link on how to do Monotypes and ways to incorporate it into your art. 

2.  One Awesomemazonly Sketchbook Activity - Blog post with video link on a great Sketchbook Activity to inspire and challenge you.  

 (Be sure to like and comment while your are there. 🤗)


There is something you can do . . .

I am thrilled to be named a Finalist for the YWCA Women of Distinction for Arts, Culture and Design for my volunteer work.  Although there is no public voting for these awards there is one part of the event that is a People's Choice Award. 
It is the Connecting the Community Award.  (🡨link) 

It's purpose is to create awareness for the YWCA Community Programs.  This award is by People's Choice.  So follow the link and vote for me and my choice "Reducing Child Poverty".  Vote as many times as you like, results tallied April 24.  Thanks for your support.

When Life settles down: 

Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery is always Open


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing/Painting lessons in graphite, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils Or any combination of these.
Flexible Schedule, at my Studio/Gallery, N. Surrey. 

Gift Certificates Available 


Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: