Nov 28, 2019

When is your Painting/Drawing Finished? - Painting & Drawing Tips


When is your picture Done?  Finished?
 What does DONE mean to you?
 How do you tell when your picture is finished?

VARIED THRUSH: DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS
 12 x 15 Varnished Watercolour on Board $400

For me,  the question is 'have I said what I want to say?"  I have goals for my work.  My first goal is to my subject, My Wildlife. I want my viewers to experience a special moment with my birds and animals.

I do a lot of hiking, boating and beach combing.
  For me there is nothing more special then turning the corner on the trail and seeing a Varied Thrush perched on a branch, a heron fishing the tide line or a deer resting under a bush.  Somehow it is a piece of Magic to experience nature in the wild.  I want to present that moment to my viewers. Make them feel how special that is.   

But that is only part of my goal  . . .

VARIED THRUSH, DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS: WIP 1
(I tend to work already my picture so I can get a feel for how my plans are working

I have goals as well, about the type of work I am doing.  My favourite mediums of choice are graphite, ink and watercolour.  I work with them separately and together.  As many of my readers are aware, my pen work has been drawing me more and more.  Combining my ink with watercolour is something I really enjoy doing.  However, usually it is my watercolour that shines and my pen work takes a back seat.  

My pens are not happy about that . . .

VARIED THRUSH, DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS: WIP 2 
I decided I needed a few more branches in the background as I wanted to leave the back white

This has lead me into several directions.  My abstract work combined with my ink work is one direction that I have followed. See Juncos at the Feeder below.   (See more in this series here)

JUNCOS AT THE FEEDER - 8 x 10 Vanished watercolour on Wood Cradle - $200

Another way of mixing my pen work with watercolour, is my more realistic drawings in ink surrounded by watercolour. See Pacific Harbour Seal: Sunbathing below.   In this series, only the setting has been painted.  The birds and animals are untouched.  I liked this, as it really brought my inkwork into the more primary role. (See more in this series here.)

PACIFIC HARBOUR SEAL: SUNBATHING - Matted 8 x 10, Ink & Watercolour.  $130

In my picture Varied Thrush: Down from the Mountains, (at the top of the post) I feel I have taken things one step further. Both my ink and watercolour are given staring roles.  And, there is a bonus.  It feel like you get a peak at the creation process as well.  I love this kind of feel. Its like you can see and feel the back story to the piece.  

So yes, I feel Varied Thrush: Down from the Mountains is finished. How do you feel?  Finished or Not?  In the end it is personal, the Artist makes the call. 

NB: Learn more about Vanish Watercolour on Board here


Have fun with your art work and see you in 2 weeks.  I will be busy next week with my show.  See Below.   ↓↓↓↓


Looking to move your Drawing Skills to the Next Level?

Book a 3 Pack of Private Lessons with Me - 3 Lessons 2.5 hr each $225
Drawing lessons in graphite, carbon, ink, watercolour, watercolour pencils or coloured pencils.
Based on your Schedule at my Studio, N. Surrey. 
Gift Certificates Available 


Christmas Comes early at Art by Wendy:Thurs Dec 5 to Sat. Dec 710-4pm
Paints’n Bloom Workshops & Show & Sale
Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.

Featuring Artists Wendy Mould, AFCA & Audrey Bakewell
 in Support of the Alzheimer’s Society of BC.


See you there!!


My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, Prints, Commission Work and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Be sure to like and share my posts to keep me coming into your box, 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: