Mar 7, 2019

Is that Really the Right Blue? - Painting and Drawing Tips

Having trouble with your colour choices?

Feeling like there is 'no right' colour to paint with?

I know what it is like. . .
Sometimes my painting flows, my colour choices seem to roll with ease.

Mushrooms in the Leaves - ink and coloured pencil

Then trouble starts. . . .

You add that trim colour, or move into the shadow colour and nothing seems to work.  So annoying.
Working with colour has become my focus this year.  I am back re-reading some of my books, trying different combos.  Researching.  And playing.

One of my favourite ways to play with colour is with coloured pencils. . .

Funny eh?  Not sure why, but when I use coloured pencils and my sketchbook I seem to be freer. No fear.  Dropping in a new colour, mixing a weird combination, just seems to be easier.  I think too the fact that I am not making mud with my watercolours helps too.  Regardless, it works for me.


Mushrooms in the Leaves - WIP 1-  note the delicate look of the mushrooms. They are outlined with Sepia not Black

So here's my latest neat way to play . . .

I decided to try a different colour ink to layout my drawing.  I grabbed a sepia coloured one.  I thought I would use other colours too.   But when I added some  green I decided it was too garish and stopped. So I just used the sepia for the rest.  Then took my coloured pencils and had fun.  Mixing my colours to create new colour. 

Ways to layer with coloured pencils . . .

1. One light layer of a colour then put a heavier layer on top of another colour

2. Double up, light layer one colour, light layer another colour then heavier layer of the first colour (watch you don't end up with too many layers or you can get a waxy bloom. Prismacolor.com: "Wax bloom is a natural oxidation process of wax-based materials, just like rust is an oxidation of iron. It appears as a cloudy white film over a drawing or color lay down. If you are plagued with wax bloom, simply wipe your drawing with a clean, dry cloth and spray it with a final fixative to seal out air.")

3.  Heavy layer one colour and then a light layer over top of another colour

See what I mean, with heavy and light layers you can mix things up.  The big thing though, is to look carefully at what you are doing.  See what you like and don't like.

Mushrooms in the Leaves - WIP 2 - Note how the shadows make the leaves look really fluffy 
Things I really liked . . .

1.  The stems of the mushrooms.  I liked the effect of the light pink at the transition point between the white light and the purple to blue shadow. 

2.  The yellow leave on the bottom left.  It was looking way too bright, see WIP 2 above, I glazed part of it with purple and part with a terra cotta. - see finished picture below

3.  I love how many ways I was able to integrate the red into the leaves on the ground.  Red is a colour I don't use a lot.  But I needed it there because of the red in the mushroom caps.

4.  The deep, dark shadows. Those were made with black, blue and purple.  They look really dark but don't seem to be a flat black. The purple seems to give them a new life.

Just a 24 pack of Coloured Pencils and two Micron pens  - neat stuff awaits.  

Easy Supplies . . .

Really can you ask for anything easier.  Just a 24 pack of coloured pencils - Prismacolour and 2 Micron Pens - Sepia and Light Green Size 05.  I like the Micron pens because they are a permanent ink. They dry quickly.  You never have to worry about the colour running.

The Take-Away . . .

1. New medium combo - I love the softer sepia line with the coloured pencil.  The crisp sharpness is there but blends softly with the coloured pencils.

2. Experimented with different colours and their effect in the transition zone - area where light and shadow meet.  This is an area I do not give enough attention to in my colour works.  I understand its value but didn't understand the colour changes that work there.

3.  Played with the two colour compliments - Visual Compliments and Mixing Compliments. (see post on this here. ) 

Looking for more on drawing with coloured inks. You might be interested in: 

Using Tonal Values in Ink 
Getting Loose and Free
Building Patterns with Your Mark


Have fun with your playing - love to see what you do with ink and coloured pencils.
I have been on another colour trip, which I will share with you next week - Oil Stiks.  I am really playing in a new playground, eh!?

My Etsy Store is always OPEN: Etsy - WendyMouldsArt

Originals, prints and Instant Printable Cards for all Seasons available.

Time to Register

May 1 - Workshop Day for Spring Show - South Burnaby

Want to experience the joy of watercolour?  Learn about the supplies? See paint in action as you create your first Masterpiece?  - Join Audrey and Myself on May 1, 10-12pm for a Beginner Watercolour Class - $40 all supplies incld. 

Itching to create but want some direction? Want to make exciting cards and notes for the special people in your life? Add design to your sketchbooks and journals? - Join Myself and Audrey on May 1, 1-3pm for a Creative Card Class - $40 all supplies incld.  This year's theme: Flowers and Ladybugs.  

Audrey Bakewell and Myself include this Workshop Day as part of our Spring and Fall Shows at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby.  Both classes are very popular and fill up very quickly.  

SPRING SHOW:     Paints'n Bloom Workshops & Art Show & Sale
 in Support of the Alzheimer's Society of BC

 Thursday, May 2  to Saturday,  May 4 

Gardenworks at Mandeville Gardens, 4746 Marine Dr, Burnaby


W
orkshop Day: Wednesday, May 1 

10-12pm - Beginner Watercolour Class

1-3pm Spring Card Making Class

$40 ea. All supplies incl. Beginner to Advanced Welcome


Registration Happening Now Contact Wendy 


 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: