Aug 30, 2018

Still Time for Outdoor Sketching - Painting & Drawing Tips

Fall is in the air but DON'T go into your studio Yet.

Still Warm enough to get outdoors SKETCHING

It is comfy in your studio, all your materials are where you want them.  Things don't move, light doesn't change, bugs, wind and rain don't bother you.

But . . . .

The fall colours are starting to shine.  The air is crisp and clean.  The blue sky has a deep warmth to it, a balance to the rusty reds and lemon yellows of the trees it silhouettes.  My favourite is the bright orange of the pumpkins, the browns, greens and yellows of fading corn stalks and the rusty reds of harvest time. 

This summer I have been working with a few students on Outdoor Sketching. I loved every class but I know each was a challenge for my students and me.  Yes, it is fun but there is always a challenge.  Sometimes you feel you meet the challenge but not every trip is a success.  But then not every studio painting is a success either. 

There were several things I found helped:

a. Give yourself permission to practice.  Seems simple but you know what it is like.  With any picture you have high expectations and when they are not met, feelings of failure seem to rear up.  This is a sketchbook you are using, this is practice, remember the key questions to ask:  What do I like about my drawing?  What is working?  How did I do that?  Those questions lead to learning. 

Have a SMALL kit ready to go 

b.  Have your materials in an organized manor.  If you are busy fiddling with a wobbly stand, working with weak pigmented paints, sitting/standing in an awkward spot; how can you expect to do well.  Test your materials out before you go and make sure everything works and is ready.

Be Comfortable but bring only what you need.  The Parking Lot is further than you think. 

c.  Pack only what you need.  This seems like I am repeating my last point but not really.  Taking extra 'stuff' because you might need it only means more for you to carry.  This means more fumbling and fiddling.  When the light is right you want to 'get at it'.  You can always add that extra sparkle when you get back to the studio

Do little Studies - Karina is working on rocks in and out of water. 

d.  Paint/draw what caught your eye, first.  This is not a complete work of art.  It is a sketch of something that caught your eye: water flowing down the creek bed; sun shining on the rocks; ferns wafting in the breeze. Start with your inspiration and move outwards.  The light will change, the clouds may come or my case, the boat your are drawing may sail away.  Capture the special thing you want, the rest is just window dressing. 

Catch your Inspiration first and draw out from there

e.  Zoom in on your subject.  Make your sketch a micro environment.  Those ferns and rocks give you 'meat' to draw.  You can create that texture you love on the tree, if you zoom in on it.  Drawing the big landscape gives you a great panorama but may leave you feeling you haven't captured your 'inspiration'.  (Special note here: you know I love detail, texture and values.  Those are my meat and potatoes in any picture.  If you like the grand vistas please draw them. There is no right or wrong in Outdoor Sketching.)

Start with Big Shapes and then add detail, again focusing on your focal point first and then moving outwards. 

f.  Start with the big shapes.  Before drawing each leaf and berry first capture the big shapes.  You may find that your big shape "a bush" is really not large enough to include the individual leaves.  When I see a tree or bush I ask myself how I know what kind of plant it is.  What shapes, patterns or colours are the clues.  Those are what I try and draw. 

It's way too early to head for your studio.  Bundle up and head out for a few more Outdoor Sketching Trips.  Accept the Challenge.

Update on the BIG Project: 

Honorable Mention awarded for My BIG Project
Very pleased that my Picture made it into the prizes, sadly my boy and dog will not grace a wine bottle like the winning picture but it was a great experience for me. ( A huge learning curve preparing a large watercolour on a wood cradle) To learn more about my BIG Project see here

Up Date on that train picture "Hitch'in A Ride"-  Read about it here.

HITCH'N A RIDE is still waiting for the results.
I don't know anything yet but Awards will be made at the Reception, Tuesday, Sept 18, 7pm, Newton Cultural Center, Surrey.  Fingers Crossed. See you there.

SAVE THE DATE:  
Sheraton Artisan Market
Saturday, Sept 29, 11-6pm
 Sheraton Guildford Hotel, 15269 104 Ave, Surrey,
This is an Invitation only event for Professional Artists so you know there will be Sensational Fine Art, Jewelry and Pottery there. 

Open Studio at Art by Wendy Studio/Gallery
 Sun, Sept 30, 10-4pm 
Special Hands-On Drawing Demos: 11 am & 1pm 

Artists reading this post also find the following valuable: 
How to find the Right Sketchbook Friend - here
Is Your Sketchbook Ready for You? - here
Have You Felt the Freedom of the Line? - here

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page.
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: