Mar 13, 2023

A Quick-n-Dirty Way to Transfer an Image to Watercolour Paper - Painting & Drawing Tips

I know Quick you want, But Dirty . . . Not So Much

Always Fun to Transfer Images to New Surfaces - NEW: My Mushroom Families Collage Fodder
See my Collage Fodder Pages Here 


As many of you know I have fallen in love with drawing images for Collage Fodder. It is part of my DAILY Practice.  I find it challenging to design small images.  I am constantly looking for new topics.  

**Note: There is additional information on transferring your image to a new surface on my YouTube video:  Quick and Easy Way to Transfer an Image to Watercolour Paper.

I also like to use my images in my daily life.  Some I have printed onto sticker paper and added them to notes, journals, my sketchbooks. . . things I use in daily life.  They do add a Sparkle.  But I realized that gluing/sticking them places is not enough.  

Sometimes you want to transfer them onto another surface . . . . 

Watercolour paper was the first thing that came to mind but I am sure there are others.  Now you want the image drawn on that surface.  You can draw if yourself but run the risk of damaging the fibers of the paper if you do any erasing.  It is better to work out the drawing on a different surface and then transfer it over when ready.  Or in the case of the collage fodder just transfer it over.  

So You need a Quick-n-Dirty way to move your images around . . . .

A Quick-and-Dirty way to transfer a drawing 

*** Side Note: Carbon Paper, the old standby from bygone years is not a friendly substance for watercolor or pastels to play with.  
Graphite Paper, although quite good, is expensive, hard to find, & can get messy if not handled carefully.  For big projects great but certainly not necessary for small projects.  

My favourite tracing paper - be sure and check you can 'see through it' before you purchase it. 


1. Use a Piece of Tracing Paper:
 Label the tracing paper placed over the image with the word "Front".  

Trace the image onto the tracing paper on the front side of the tracing paper


2. Trace the original image onto the Tracing paper.

3.  Put Graphite onto the Back of the Paper: 
Take the tracing paper your image is on and turn it over.  Use a HB or 2B pencil to trace over the lines on the back of the paper.  

Redraw the image on the Backside of the Tracing paper


4. Set up the Image on new surface:
Turn the tracing paper over again so the front is facing you.  Place your paper onto the new surface.  Secure one side with painters tape.  

Place the tracing paper where you want the image on the new surface and redraw the image. 


5. Draw the Image on the new surface: 
Use a pencil to 'draw over your image'.  The pressure of your line will cause the graphite on the backside to be deposited on the new surface.  Press hard enough for the new graphite line to show but not so hard that you score the paper surface. 
Check as you go by flipping your tracing paper up.  You may have to tidy up the lines with your pencil on the new surface.   
  
Lift and check the lines are correct on the new surface.  Make corrections as needed. 

6.  Lift and Check:
Before you take your image paper completely away, lift and check all your lines are there.    When complete, remove the your image paper and you are ready to go. 

Side notes: 
**I use this method a lot when I have a detailed drawing I am working on.  I get the shapes right on a separate sheet of paper and then transfer it to my "good surface".  Thereby keeping the 'good surface' free of extra marks.  

**I prefer to just draw the lines rather than shade the whole area, as it keeps the new surface cleaner.  However, if an area has small and detailed shapes to transfer I may shade the back of that area rather than just outline the shapes. 

**Note: There is additional information on transferring your image to a new surface on my YouTube video:  Quick and Easy Way to Transfer an Image to Watercolour Paper.


Awesome Opportunity - 2 Artist Retreats in the Shuswap

June 23-26 or September 15-18, 2023

Join me for 4 DAYS of Outdoor Sketching, nature walks, deck and beach time, creative conversations, gourmet meals and simply relaxing 

Your Hosts, Joanne Denis and Myself
Cost: $450 single room or $300 shared room
Art instruction, transportation, meals and lodging included (Bring your own art supplies.  
Space is limited to 6-8 attendees, Register Early 


Always  Available at Art by Wendy's Studio
Original work, Commissions, Private Drawing Lessons, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: