Mar 8, 2011

The Ups and Downs of the Art World

KEEPING WATCH - 3 x 3 - SOLD
The first picture to sell, are we surprised?!
Well my exciting art weekend is over; it was a whirlwind of fun and adventure. Saturday was the reception day for my show “A Walk on the Wild Side . . Or Not! featuring Margaret Mah and myself. We were set up and ready before 1 pm with such anticipation. Things were quiet, we waited, two ladies arrived and of course we pounced on them, settled and pulled back. We waited a bit more and then they came. We had people pouring into our little gallery, talking, looking and yes buying. Then in the middle of it all the photographer arrived from the paper and we had a photo op (that really makes you feel important). It was great fun.
Margaret and Me with our pictures

On Sunday, I had my marketing workshop for artists, and it was a full house as well. We had a really productive day, the synergy produced by such an event is amazing. I am not bragging when I say everyone left just bubbling with new ideas and goals for the future. I find that each time I have run the workshop we all feel empowered, there is just no other way to describe it. I know to from previous sessions that this empowerment not only shows up in the marketing skills of the artists but in their work as well.
Well those were the “Up’s” of the weekend and of course you are wondering what could possibly be the “Down’s”. Well my application for Signature status did not go forward. There was 38 of us that applied and 11 were accepted. I have comfort in the fact that I am in good company. I must admit I am not too down; I am pleased that my work has got to the level that I can apply and as Arnold Schwarzenegger said “I’ll Be Back!”
PS. I just got my official call from the Federation and I missed by 2 votes!! I am must admit that made my day. I know that I am on the right track and next time I will be there. Have a good day.

3 comments:

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Wow, what a weekend! It all sounds like a very successful show for you! Congratulations, Wendy! And so true, only two votes shy is not bad at all, especially when in good company. And Congrats on the sale, always good news.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks Barbara, I think I am starting to come back to reality now with renewed vigor. It is really nice to know that my art is valued by so many.

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised at all that this one sold first - I love it!!! You definitely have the right attitude about achieving Signature Status and I know you will get there with your determination and talent!!! :)