Jul 9, 2024

Using a Statue to Study Values - Painting and Drawing Tips

Europe has soooo many Statues!
 I found I loved trying to paint them!!

Sketchbook:  Of course I had to sketch Christoforo Colombo in his HOME territory!!

I just got back from a wonderful trip to Italy and Portugal.  And there was so many awesome statues.  On my trips to Europe I always seemed to be attracted to the statues and this trip was no different.  I like to collect a few photos to work on later and sketch a few in my sketchbook while I am there. 

Sketchbook: One of the Lions from Fonte dos Leoes, Porto, Portugal

Fonte does Leos had 3 huge Lions holding the fountain.  They just glistened in the sun and needed to be painted!!

*************** 
Special Note: I have a YouTube video with more discussion and examples for this topic - Using a Statue to Study Values 
Also, there is a YouTube flip-through of my Portugal Concertina Sketchbook HERE.  A YouTube Flip-through of my Italy Concertina Sketchbook HERE.  
*************** 

The best Sketchbooks always have the most BORING covers.  My Concertina sketchbook's cover was black.  How boring is that!! I like to paint my own picture for my covers. 

I found this young lady in the Palace of Monserrate, Sintra, Portugal

For the cover of my book I chose this female bust by John Lawlor, created in 1812.  I loved the fact that she looks like a young girl dressed in her daywear rather than a formal lady with all the regalia. 

The flowers decorating her hair really caught my eye.  Everything about her was soft and feminine except the harsh darks centers around the flowers.  I wondered why the artist would make them be so dark.  
My Setup - I tried a few different mixes for my purples

Steps in Painting a Statue

1. Paint the dark areas with a mid value: I like to do this first as it allows me to blend the edges of the darks areas without making other areas too dark.  This also allows me to get more familiar with my drawing, test my colours and my brush.  I had started with a larger brush and quickly moved to a smaller one.
I started with the Darker areas at the shadow side

2.  Use paints that lift and move on your paper:  I prefer non staining colours as this allows me to lift and soften edges.  So important with all the folds and curves in my lady.

Working on the Darks, increasing the value range around my darks 


3.  Darken the Darks: After painting the mid and lighter tones on my lady, I went back and darkened my darks. Having worked over the statue once already with my mid and light blends I have a better idea how darks my darks need to be.  This will of course result in some adjustments to the mid and light tones. 
Working on the Face - adding value very carefully!!

4.  Leave the Face to last: Ok, this is really a person choice but one I find useful.  By leaving the face to last it gives me a chance to be really familiar with my materials and ‘into my painting process’.  Let’s face it.  Unless you are a portrait artist, faces can be a little tough.  The smaller the face, the harder it can be.  (One little dot, can have soooo much affect on the total look of the face. ) 
The Values around her face have to be dark enough to give her face depth. 

5. Recheck your values:  It is always to a good idea to recheck your values before you decide you're done. As you work from one area to another, the change in values can affect what is happening in other areas.  What once appeared so dark/light may not now be as affective.  

6.  She is done!!
Sketchbook Cover: Young Lady by John Lawlor, 1812

Doesn't she look great?!  And my black cover suddenly looks 'very interesting'.  I am super pleased with how she turned out.  My book is complete, with lots of great memories of my trip.  You can see a flip-through of my Portugal Concertina Sketchbook book HERE.  

*************** 
Special Note: I have a YouTube video with more discussion and examples for this topic - Using a Statue to Study Values 
Also, there is a YouTube flip-through of my Portugal Concertina Sketchbook HERE.  A YouTube Flip-through of my Italy Concertina Sketchbook HERE.  
*************** 
Summers Here and Outdoor Sketching is in Full Swing!!!

Outdoor Sketching 2.5hr Classes this summer 2024 - Thursday, July 18
August 8 & 15, 10-12:30pm – 2.5 hr.  $60 Max. 3 per group.  Local parks in N Surrey & Langley 
Contact Wendy  to register.  I am available for private bookings as well. 
I look forward to going 'out sketching' with you.  

Original work, Commissions, Private Drawing Lessons, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

  

Wendy

No comments: