Nov 13, 2023

Use Colour & Shapes to Build your Composition Skills - Painting & Drawing Tips

Do you LOVE the FALL COLOURS?  

Colour & Shapes lead to New Inspiration


Sometimes I think Canada is the only country in the world that obsesses with the colour of leaves in the fall.  Maybe it's because of the masses of reds and yellows that are everywhere.  Or the fact that we have large, dense forests that glow with colour.  Or the energy from the sunlight dancing with the colours above our head.  

WHATEVER, Canadians do love leaves.  . .  (Well except when they need to rake them!) 

When I am out walking I am often drawn to the leaves.  I love the bouquet of colours.  Before I know it, my hands are full of leaves by the time I get home. 

So, of course I have to do something with them. . . .

I pressed these leaves while they dried, to keep them flat
 ___________________________________________________________________

*** Further discussion can be found on my YouTube video: How to Take Charge of Colour and Shape.   

*** Looking for Online Drawing Lessons?  See below for more information

________________________________________________________________


I decided to work with Colour and Shapes rather than my usual practice of drawing.   First I placed a few of the leave on my page to create an interesting arrangement.  ( I didn't overlap any but I think I will try that next time.) 

Placed leaves on my page to make an interesting arrangement

When the leaves were in place I traced them.  

Tracing means you can quickly get to Colour and Shapes 

As you can see I worked at various stages on the same pages.  I find it encouraging to move back and forth from drawing to painting.  Often interesting things develop, as once one area is completed it is easier to see what more is needed.  Remember,  this is experimenting so there is no strict order.

I like to move back and forth from drawing, colouring to designing

I used my brush pens, micron pens and watercolour to complete my design.  You can use whatever mediums you have on hand.  This is also a great time to try some you haven't used before, to test them out.  

Brush Pens weren't waterproof, so had to keep that in mind

I decided to experiment with the washi tape.  I usually use painter's tape but that can sometimes damage the paper when I lift it.  I found the washi tape was quick, gave a nice sharp edge and could be used over and over.  

Got nice sharp edges with the Washi Tape

As much as I enjoy the practice I must tell you, THIS is not for the Faint at Heart.  

Working with Colour and Shapes can be VERY CHALLENGING.  As you work along it becomes challenging to keep things cohesive, interesting and eye catching.  I found myself studying my pages, questioning how to move the design forward: Introduce a new colour; add another shape; draw more detail; outline.   Challenging.  

Enhance Your Drawing Skills

Come Draw with Me 

I attended an online drawing class from Wendy. I loved it and learned so much. She is very thorough and provides terrific feedback on your works of art. I highly recommend it.”

Ready to Enhance your Drawing Skills and Explore new Mark-making Techniques in a relaxed, fun setting? 

During your Lessons You will:

- Learn
when it’s best to erase and when to wait

- Dive into the little Secrets that make drawing a success

- See how light can transform your subjects

- Make friends with your inner critic and make it work for you

- Nail down that perfect perspective and proportion

- Use lines, shapes, and shadows to guide your viewer’s eyes and keep them engaged in your work

Online Drawing Classes

Feb 15, 22, & 29, 2024, 5:30-7:30pm (PT)

Early Bird $75 Before Feb 12, $90 after

Contact Wendy toRegister 
Gift Certificates Available 


Original work, Commissions, Private Drawing Lessons, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

  

Wendy

No comments: