May 7, 2023

Do You have a Breakfast Studio? Painting & Drawing Tips

Do you have a breakfast studio?

Actually this is my Anytime Studio- Great for catching a Creative Moment 

A place where you can just sit back after you’ve had your morning coffee.  And just create for a few minutes before you start your day.  Or maybe a spot for a quiet coffee break.  A spot where you can just draw for a few minutes. 
(**See my Youtube video  Do You have an Anytime Sketchbook?  to see the whole book and more tips on using an Anytime Sketchbook) 

Black-eyed Susie's with some grass flowers. 

I do have a beautiful studio and I do go there and work for hours on end and forget about things but other times I want to just play around after breakfast. I’m not ready to get my day started.  When the sun shines, I like to enjoy working for a few minutes outside.   I guess really, instead of a calling it a breakfast studio I should call it my Anytime Studio.  Actually it is just a small sketchbook and pencil case. 

It doesn't take much to create - small pencil case, sketchbook & of course a coffee 

It’s here where I explore themes and ideas.  Fun sketches, different drawing styles, future projects and more.  I have several little books on the go. Sometimes I get a bit carried away, with too many different ones.  I think a few are beginning to think they are orphan books.   

Who knew Buttercup Leaves could be so interesting

Right now, I’m celebrating a special moment.  I finished my Flower Power Book.  (I think it was starting to feel like an orphan).   I started this book last spring to explore flowers using my pen.  I’d look for different ones everywhere I went.  I became obsessed with flowers.   Picking some flowers and weeds too,  to take home and draw.  I decided I wanted to have different flowers on each page.   

A Collection from my walk - Buttercups and grasses

Then I got all carried away and decided I should try different things with them in terms of shading, borders, patterns. As I said, carried away. 

Blackberry Flowers are not just for making Berries

It turned out to be an awesome experience.  I found out I knew nothing about flowers.  Not even my favourite ones.  I had no idea how many petals they had, what their leaves looked like, even the ration of petal size to the centers.  My observation skills are the pits. 

Blackberry Flowers can make a Fun Arrangement

I discovered how many could be broken down to a center with petals.  Once I understood the size ratio. I began to look at the flowers at different angles, and understand how to make the folds, curls, and bends in the petals.  It was exhilarating.  I was on a flow.   

Dandelions take on a whole New Life in a drawing

I  found my pen work improved.  My confidence in my mark making soared.  Sure I did some pretty detailed sketches in pencil at times but I did find that once I jumped to my pen I could relax and add a lot of embellishments.  The lines were just a guide. They weren’t something that I had to trace. I found I loved looking back at my work.  I started looking at my book as a reference and used the flowers in other parts of my life as sparkles on a notepaper or sketchbook.  

Ballet Girl Fuchsias - Every flower has its own Secrets!!

It’s been a very awesome experience.  I put together a video on Youtube video to share my book with you: Do You have an Anytime Sketchbook?  It has more tips on using an Anytime Sketchbook to keep your practice going. 

I hope it inspires you to jump in and start your own Anytime Sketchbook. 

Awesome Opportunity - 2 Artist Retreats in the Shuswap

June 23-26 or September 15-18, 2023

Join me for 4 DAYS of Outdoor Sketching, nature walks, deck and beach time, creative conversations, gourmet meals and simply relaxing 

Your Hosts, Joanne Denis and Myself.   Cost: $450 single room or $300 shared room
Art instruction, transportation (from Lower Mainland), meals and lodging included (Bring your own art supplies.  Space is limited to 8-10 attendees, Register Early 

Outdoor Sketching Classes - Dates are HERE!!

Outdoor Sketching Classes

Thursday, June 29, 10-12:30pm;  July 6 & 27, 10-12:30pm
  August 3 & 10, 10-12:30pm 

Experience the Joy of Sketching in Nature with Wendy 
2.5 hr classes; located in Surrey Parks;  Beginner to Advanced Welcome. 
Class Size: Max 3  $55 per session 
 

Available for booking special outings for you and 1-2 of your friends. 
Gift Certificates Available.


Original work, Commissions, Private Drawing Lessons, Prints and Cards of her Work, 

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy

No comments: